Tarp plus Tent - Winter Bushwalking + Bikepacking

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Tarp plus Tent - Winter Bushwalking + Bikepacking

Postby Aushiker » Wed 12 Jun, 2024 7:28 pm

I am thinking of adding a tarp to the gear I carry to provide a bit more shelter when the weather is less than idea. The idea is to 'extend' the tent, so to speak. The tent is a Tarptent Double Rainbow and soon a Durston X-Mid 2. It will normally be solo camping, maybe some times with no. 2 son.

Anyway I have for car camping purposes a DD Tarp 3 x 3 but it is took bulky for bushwalking and bikepacking so looking for suggestions on what maybe a reasonable size, material and any brands/models. Packed sized is the big thing as space on the bike is always limited.

Thanks in advance
Andrew
Aushiker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Western Australia

Re: Tarp plus Tent - Winter Bushwalking + Bikepacking

Postby Bill P » Wed 12 Jun, 2024 10:20 pm

The Durston tents look to have quite roomy vestibules, but to your question, Ive been very happy with my s2s "ëscapist" silnylon tarp for solo use. About 300gr for 2m x 2.6m . The Alton tarps are well regarded and have lots of loops for the origami enthusiast.
Bill P
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Aushiker » Wed 12 Jun, 2024 10:40 pm

Bill P wrote:The Durston tents look to have quite roomy vestibules, but to your question, Ive been very happy with my s2s "ëscapist" silnylon tarp for solo use. About 300gr for 2m x 2.6m . The Alton tarps are well regarded and have lots of loops for the origami enthusiast.

Thanks Bill and having asked the question, I am now doubting the idea ... Might give it a shot on an overnight with my DD Tarp first and see how it works out.
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby JohnnoMcJohnno » Thu 13 Jun, 2024 10:01 am

I've tried a few things, none of which have really been successful. I tried a TRG mini tarp (1.5m x 1.5m & 120g) with a Naturehike Tagar (which looks like a cheap Chinese copy of a Rainbow). It sort of worked as an awning and the eyelets on the tarp lined up perfectly with the ridge pole guy points on the tent, but it didn't stick out far enough to give you much cover. I next tried a S2S ultrasil poncho tarp (1.5 x 2.5, 230g) which gave a bit more coverage but of course it had a hole for your head which would have leaked water. So I bought a Wechsel wing zero-g tarp (3.3m x 3m but with cut-outs, 365g), and set it up separately rather than attaching it to the tent. It's a good size, enough room, and I took this with me on 2 separate 4 day walks and it never rained. Never even looked like raining. Now I use a Stratospire 1 tent and figure I'll just drop the inner if I need to sit out a rainy afternoon. Still might take the Wechsel though if there's a group of us walking.
JohnnoMcJohnno
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Jack Doolan » Thu 13 Jun, 2024 5:50 pm

I have an Alton Goods 3 x 3 tarp which is very good but a bit heavy for backpacking or bike packing. I generally take it on multi day canoe trips.

I bought this as lighter alternative but have never used https://www.survivalsupplies.com.au/hel ... tarp-small. It lives in my day pack as a "just in case" option.

I love tarps and they have been a lifesaver on occasions but for hikes I rely on a good quality tent with plenty of vestibule space. Bikepacking, canoe trips etc, I would definitely take a tarp.
Jack Doolan
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby headwerkn » Fri 14 Jun, 2024 11:22 am

Have used a HMG 8'x10' tarp in conjunction with a TT Double Rainbow a few times, both as an extended porch/exterior shelter and (more recently) as a way to waterproof an increasingly not-waterproof tent. Bit of a pain to set up, can take a while, but definitely works well. Probably not worth it if you're moving each night, but when staying put in a basecamp-style setup, can be worth the effort.
headwerkn

Region: Tasmania

Postby markg » Sun 16 Jun, 2024 6:58 pm

Another fan of the Alton Goods tarps. Best tarp out there for mine. Good quality, plenty of tie down points, ultra light with a kicker of a warranty. I just ordered the bigger one. Prices are very good. Tarps are so handy in a lot of situations.
markg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Aushiker » Sun 16 Jun, 2024 9:03 pm

JohnnoMcJohnno wrote:I've tried a few things, none of which have really been successful. I tried a TRG mini tarp (1.5m x 1.5m & 120g) with a Naturehike Tagar (which looks like a cheap Chinese copy of a Rainbow). It sort of worked as an awning and the eyelets on the tarp lined up perfectly with the ridge pole guy points on the tent, but it didn't stick out far enough to give you much cover. I next tried a S2S ultrasil poncho tarp (1.5 x 2.5, 230g) which gave a bit more coverage but of course it had a hole for your head which would have leaked water. So I bought a Wechsel wing zero-g tarp (3.3m x 3m but with cut-outs, 365g), and set it up separately rather than attaching it to the tent. It's a good size, enough room, and I took this with me on 2 separate 4 day walks and it never rained. Never even looked like raining. Now I use a Stratospire 1 tent and figure I'll just drop the inner if I need to sit out a rainy afternoon. Still might take the Wechsel though if there's a group of us walking.

Thanks for the input. Very helpful.
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun 16 Jun, 2024 9:09 pm

Jack Doolan wrote:I love tarps and they have been a lifesaver on occasions but for hikes I rely on a good quality tent with plenty of vestibule space. Bikepacking, canoe trips etc, I would definitely take a tarp.

Thanks for the feedback.
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun 16 Jun, 2024 9:10 pm

headwerkn wrote:Have used a HMG 8'x10' tarp in conjunction with a TT Double Rainbow a few times, both as an extended porch/exterior shelter and (more recently) as a way to waterproof an increasingly not-waterproof tent. Bit of a pain to set up, can take a while, but definitely works well. Probably not worth it if you're moving each night, but when staying put in a basecamp-style setup, can be worth the effort.

Thanks for the feedback. I tend to overnight and move on so maybe not worth the effort as you suggest.
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun 16 Jun, 2024 9:11 pm

markg wrote:Another fan of the Alton Goods tarps. Best tarp out there for mine. Good quality, plenty of tie down points, ultra light with a kicker of a warranty. I just ordered the bigger one. Prices are very good. Tarps are so handy in a lot of situations.

Well if I go the tarp way or just get one for other purposes the Alton Goods tarps will be on the short list for sure.
Andrew
Aushiker

Return to Equipment