Anyone still rocking the older style boots?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Anyone still rocking the older style boots?

Postby ggorgeman » Sat 13 Jul, 2024 1:34 pm

Curious if many are still rocking the older style leather boots eg Scarpas or similar? Or is the momentum towards the newer, lighter goretex eg Salomon and such?
I’ve just sourced a great pair of Scarpas from the Op Shop… in good knick and actually quite light.
Am curious..
ggorgeman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Anyone still rocking the older style boots?

Postby north-north-west » Sat 13 Jul, 2024 1:47 pm

Leather boots all the way: Asolo or Zamberlan (my feet do not like Scarpas) or a very battered pair of Keens Pyrenees for easier daywalks.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 13 Jul, 2024 3:11 pm

As above.
La Sportiva although I can wear Scarpa too
When they soften up too much for white season they became summer boots, one pair still going after 25 years although I did replace the soles when Skywalk soles were available from Paddys
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Redtail » Sat 13 Jul, 2024 5:25 pm

Off-track, proper bushwalking, it's leather trad style (Zamberlan for me) all the way!

On track, it's them or softer Lowa's. Similar style, just more flexible and much lighter.
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick
Redtail
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Western Australia

Postby Moh » Sat 13 Jul, 2024 6:35 pm

Full leather here also, mostly for their durability in rock and scree off-track. Asolos fit my feet best. Scarpas not so much. I’d love to give the gortex a miss, but it seems all boots have it these days.
Moh
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby Avatar » Sat 13 Jul, 2024 10:42 pm

Great pickup. Scarpa Attaks. Handle wet, mud, slush, slippery steeps, ice and cold much better. Get them serviced by a good boot repairer when needed. Nugget and beeswax only. Trail runners are for trails.
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Aardvark » Sun 14 Jul, 2024 2:16 pm

When i first discovered boots for walking (1991 Inverness Scotland) i had already gone through many pairs of runners.
Now i know boots are the No.1 piece of gear. Price is still important but I don't hesitate any more at paying more than $900 if its the boot i want.

Any one who says boots are unnecessary, hasn't done anything to challenge themself enough in order to gain the benefit of a boots' security, stability and support.
Ever on the search for a one ended stick.
Aardvark
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Biggles » Sun 14 Jul, 2024 3:51 pm

SCARPA, bought 13 years ago and remaining pristine. Conditioned with Waproo Zorbell once or twice a year, depending how often they are buried in bumpf, like rainforest bogs, river/creek crossings or the very brutal business of rock scrambling.

Boots are worn with Sea to Summit Quagmire gaiters every time.

Thirty, forty years ago, soft ROSSI boots were my go-to shoes. I have not seen those shoes around for many years now.

Last edited by Biggles on Mon 15 Jul, 2024 10:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Conversation about the weather is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Last » Sun 14 Jul, 2024 5:43 pm

Scarpa for me too. SL's. The last time I got a new pair they fitted like an old pair of slippers. Previously they'd taken some breaking in. Loved them so much I went back and bought a second pair "for later". The first pair wore out, am now on the second pair. Have never considered anything else. I have fairly crap feet and need all the support I can get. Sometimes I do wish they were a little lighter though, especially at the end of a long day.
noen ganger er det godt å være alene i villmarken
Last
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby agent13 » Mon 15 Jul, 2024 1:11 pm

Yes I only ever wear leather boots. I have two pairs of Scarpa SL's. I still have the first pair I purchased - I wear these everyday, they are well used and have had 2 sole replacements. The newer SL's I keep for typical bush walking.
For the more demanding trips I wear Alico Summits. The Summits have stitched construction for reliability. They also have a seamless leather inner lining that is very comfortable.
agent13
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Bill P » Mon 15 Jul, 2024 7:43 pm

I abandoned leather boots a long time ago for the comfort and agility of trail runners. I have just bought a pair of Zamberlan leather boots for use in extended alpine winter trips
in the hope my feet will be drier.
Bill P
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Huntsman247 » Mon 15 Jul, 2024 7:55 pm

Full leather boots all the way. The ones with not much stitching. I'm just waiting on my Asolo boots to come back from the shoe shop. Got new soles put on them. Will see how that goes.
I'm often waking offtrack with a heavier pack due to camera gear and ditching dehydrated food for anything less than 5 or 6 days. I don't mind the weight but I find trail runners just don't give you the same stability and comfort in those circumstances.
I'll only wear trail runners when following a creek or river and your in and out of water.
Huntsman247
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby headwerkn » Tue 16 Jul, 2024 12:02 pm

Both. Trail runners for the good trails and lighter packs, leather boots for everything else.
The latter doesn't necessarily mean 'super heavy' these days, though the last pair of Scarpa Delta GTXs are pretty much wrecked after 10 months of use... both holed uppers and tread worn from soles.
headwerkn

Return to Equipment