Poop-a-Scoopers

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Poop-a-Scoopers

Postby Son of a Beach » Sun 22 Apr, 2007 9:22 am

Does anyone else dislike the typical orange plastic poo spades commonly sold at most bushwalking equipment shops?

I mean, I've learned to use them and rarely break them myself, but every time I take a newbie for a bushwalk, I have to give them a long lecture about how the only force they can apply when digging a hole is pushing straight down the handle. Anything else will snap the handle off. Most importantly - do not try to use the handle for leverage, as that is guaranteed to break it. Even after all the lecturing, newbies (who I love to take walking) still break them quite frequently.

As much as I hate these cheap platic spades, it is what I still carry and use. One of my mates takes a spade which is just a 20cm long piece of angled alloy. It's a lot stronger than the plastic spade, and will bend rather than break if attempting leverage, but it's quite painful on the hands when trying to push it into hard ground (could do with a flat plastic top on it, I think).

What do other people use? Do you like the orange poop-a-scooper, as I call it? Got another favourite tool to toil towards a toilet?
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby kantonysen » Sun 22 Apr, 2007 11:55 am

I use a small metal shovel, it's much heavier than a plastic shovel, but at least it won't break.
Keith
kantonysen
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tasadam » Sun 22 Apr, 2007 4:48 pm

I use the same orange scooper, and a snow tent peg. Together they make a great team as you can use them like tongs to get the hole deep.
Never be without the snow tent peg for that job!
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

poop scooper

Postby corvus » Mon 23 Apr, 2007 8:35 pm

After many variations I only carry a large snow peg non bending and just a wee bit hard on the hands in these dry times :D
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Re: poop scooper

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 24 Apr, 2007 8:55 am

corvus wrote:After many variations I only carry a large snow peg non bending and just a wee bit hard on the hands in these dry times :D

I read that completely wrong at first... "just wee a bit"... since we were discussing toilet issues. :D
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Re: poop scooper

Postby corvus » Tue 24 Apr, 2007 7:21 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:
corvus wrote:After many variations I only carry a large snow peg non bending and just a wee bit hard on the hands in these dry times :D

I read that completely wrong at first... "just wee a bit"... since we were discussing toilet issues. :D

I thought that would get a response but if you did wee a bit on the ground b4 you started digging the task would be easier and your shorts would stay dry. :)
corvus
corvus

Postby norto_junior » Fri 14 Sep, 2007 11:50 am

I carry a metal trowel that i have cut in half so that it is small but it still digs a good hole if required, and it won't break.
norto_junior
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 14 Sep, 2007 12:23 pm

hmmm.... is that like a smal gardening spade? When you say cut in half, how do you mean? Cut the blade in half lengthways (off centre)?
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Penguin » Fri 14 Sep, 2007 3:23 pm

The best one I had was made by as bloke in Launceston. Made from some sort of aluminum alloy it was bent a little like a snow peg but with right angle edges and a sharpened tip. You could really get some force behind it as a "stabbing tool" as it was about 25cm long and about 4cm wide. Perfect for the Walls of Jerusalem. Unfortunately it has gone missing so I am using a folding stainless steel mini shovel which is not bad but a bit heavy - around 300 gms. The orange ones are like many Supercheap tools, use once and discard!

It must not be rocket science to make a light weight, serviceable trowel.
Penguin
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby norto_junior » Fri 14 Sep, 2007 5:48 pm

yeah sort of, just cut the blade it self shorter but at a bit more of an angle than it was, it is about 10cm long in total, handle and all. and doesn't weigh much.
norto_junior
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Poop Scoop

Postby corvus » Thu 20 Sep, 2007 7:07 pm

:D G'day All .
Sea to Summit have just released a new tool called the "Ipood" which really looks the goods so if any one has tried it please post as I would like a hands on ?? review.
Regards
corvus
Last edited by corvus on Tue 04 Mar, 2008 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
corvus

Re: Poop Scoop

Postby Joe » Thu 27 Dec, 2007 6:25 pm

corvus wrote::D G'day All .
Sea to Summit have just released a new tool called the "IPOOP" which really looks the goods so if any one has tried it please post as I would like a hands on ?? review.
Regards
corvus

played with one in store today. will buy it tomorrow. I had already spent $150 in one fell swoop...decided i should leave it...but on reflection i need a scooper...and i love this ones name. its light, strong and has a cool name...im sold :)
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.

Re: Poop-a-Scoopers

Postby corvus » Fri 28 Dec, 2007 9:42 pm

Please test it and post reply I need to purchase more gear and dont have one of these :D :D :D
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Joe » Sat 29 Dec, 2007 9:57 am

iPOOD! and so should you!

Its light, its sturdy and although I've not used on walk yet but it digs a mean hole in my lawn....I really like the hollow handle which according to the label is for storing paper and a gas lighter for burning paper after wiping. The catch that hold the lid on this hollow handle is tricky to open even with warm hands...I imagine it will pose a real challenge with cold hands. This is the only thing i think could be better on the tool though. Its little nuylon bag is a nice touch, coming in the same colour as the spade itself it means you can put it straight back into pack without worrying about getting dirt on other items and easily identify it when needed by its bright colour. For $20 its probably on the cusp of my budget gear ideology but it really is very good and justifies its expense.
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

Postby corvus » Sat 29 Dec, 2007 1:56 pm

Hey TWF you have succcumbed to the lure of the gear what with lanterns ,ipoods ,flash gaiters, new hat what else is lurking in the background?? heck you are one up on me now with the poop scoop :lol:
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Joe » Sat 29 Dec, 2007 4:23 pm

haha yeah i knew that was coming. of all of those items though I only paid for the poop scoop...rest were paid for by others...ill take flash gear if its free :D

The other major item i have is the kovea...but i got it for nix as well.

Picked up a set of panniers for the mountain bike today. $75 for a pair of hard backed panniers that hold around 50litres combined is a good buy i rekon. Been working on bike all day. Almost got it all together. Am building two good bikes out of 5. After finishing the first bike nicely all i have left now is the cranks on second. All of this is in anticipation of a few days cycling around maria :)
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

Postby Penguin » Sat 29 Dec, 2007 6:49 pm

Used the Ipood up at Lake Mackenzie, very rocky ground. Worked well. I like the idea of being able to put toilet paper in the handle, great for day trips in not having to remember to pack the toilet paper as well!
Penguin

Postby corvus » Sat 29 Dec, 2007 7:02 pm

TWF-Hail Gerious Minor et tus Byciclumious wheelium con baskitiomo ,jees thats a good name aint it,kept the stove secret eh! dont matter how you got it or who paid for it it's still GEAR :lol:
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Son of a Beach » Sat 29 Dec, 2007 7:37 pm

Can somebody point me to a picture of this iPoop thing? I'm finding it hard to imaging a handle that will store enough paper (along with a lighter) to be of much use (and not a word from you, wotrack?!).
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby walkinTas » Sat 29 Dec, 2007 7:39 pm

picture of the ipood thing.

iPood thing on ebay.

But I don't know what they cost in Tassie.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Sat 29 Dec, 2007 7:42 pm

walkinTas wrote:picture of the ipood thing.

iPood thing on ebay.

But I don't know what they cost in Tassie.

Ah thanks... no wonder I coudn't find it... it's because I can't read. I was looking for iPoop, not iPood. doh!

Still doesn't look like much room for paper to me, though. :-) But looks like a good spade.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby walkinTas » Sat 29 Dec, 2007 7:47 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:Still doesn't look like much room for paper to me, though. :-) But looks like a good spade.

I guess that depends on whether you're a once-a-day or twice-a-day or three-times-a-day man.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Joe » Sun 30 Dec, 2007 1:12 am

the handle willl hold quite a bit...i rekon about 25 to 30 sheets of double ply...if you forfiet the lighter...which most of us carry anyway...the handle will hold more than enough for a few days crappin....
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

Postby Joe » Sun 30 Dec, 2007 1:15 am

corvus wrote:TWF-Hail Gerious Minor et tus Byciclumious wheelium con baskitiomo ,jees thats a good name aint it,kept the stove secret eh! dont matter how you got it or who paid for it it's still GEAR :lol:

i did have an incredibly light fiskars hatchet too...was perfect for kindling...lost it in a swim i had once though. oh well.
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

Postby Son of a Beach » Sun 30 Dec, 2007 1:56 pm

taswaterfalls.com wrote:the handle willl hold quite a bit...i rekon about 25 to 30 sheets of double ply...if you forfiet the lighter...which most of us carry anyway...the handle will hold more than enough for a few days crappin....

Yeah, depends on how many days, and the nature of the individual gut. I had some bowel issues on the last walk I was on (and for the week beforehand). It was a lot more than twice a day for 6 days, unfortunately.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Sun 30 Dec, 2007 4:32 pm

Serious question SOB have you any clue as to what caused your gut problem? water souce,food,bug picked up b4 you left home,Its important to all of us to be confident in our water source without the need to boil it .
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Son of a Beach » Sun 30 Dec, 2007 4:51 pm

corvus wrote:Serious question SOB have you any clue as to what caused your gut problem? water souce,food,bug picked up b4 you left home,Its important to all of us to be confident in our water source without the need to boil it .

I've no idea what caused it, as I'd been eating all the same food as my wife who didn't have it. It was entirely unrelated to the walk, as I had the problem for over a week before the walk started. I wasn't really sick... just had to go frequently, and usually suddenly. I bought 'wotrack?' some toilet paper for Christmas after using all of mine and most of his on our bushwalk. :)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Sun 30 Dec, 2007 5:27 pm

Dire warning about keeping all your eggs in one basket .Single source TP in our frequently wet climate is fraught with danger ,having evidenced many a poor walker willing to part with most anything to have DRY TP .
My humble advice is purchase a pack of individually wrapped facial tissues you get 6 in a pack and 9 in a pkt they weigh BO and can be distributed throughout your pack and best of all if you pick the more expensive brand they are as soft as :D
P.S. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES IS IT ADVISABLE TO BURN YOUR TP in Tassie or I suspect else where in OZ just cover it up with your IpOOd. :)
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby walkinTas » Mon 31 Dec, 2007 9:40 pm

I agree 100 percent Corvus. I put generous single serves of TP in small resealable plastic lunch bags, but now I will investigate the pre-wrapped 'soft' solution to pamper the derriere. My tip, always take twice as much as you think you need. At the very least you'll have something to trade when you meet those poor unfortunates with wet TP.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Joe » Tue 01 Jan, 2008 11:25 am

Used ipood first time out of my yard last night at lake gairdiner where we camped for NYE (happy new years all btw) and it worked a treat. was really hard compacted ground where we were but it dug up a storm. WE were car camping up there so had a whole roll of TP in the car...no need for individual sheets...btw anyone ever considered the wonderfully free KFC refresher towels ;)
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

Next

Return to Equipment