Macpac Store - Melbourne

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Macpac Store - Melbourne

Postby Damien » Tue 01 Apr, 2008 11:14 am

Just to let everyone know, it appears that Macpac have already started launching their Australian retail outlets.
According to their website there is now a store open in Melbourne at 404 Smith Street, Collingwood.

There is also a 60% off 'selected gear' sale. I'll be in Melbourne this weekend so i'll definateley be checking it out.
Damien
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New Zealand

Re: Macpac Store - Melbourne

Postby johnw » Tue 01 Apr, 2008 11:53 am

Strangely, contrary to earlier reports, they still seem to be selling their gear through Paddy Pallin stores. We received a new PP winter catalogue in the mail last Friday. It has quite a few items of Macpac gear, although maybe not as extensive as previously.

Re Macpac on sale at PP. Over Easter I picked up 2 Mountain Versatile Crew L/S tops. One was $17-50 (ladies) and one $28 (mens). Both were originally marked as $99-00 ea.

Kind regards,
John W
Last edited by johnw on Tue 01 Apr, 2008 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby tasadam » Tue 01 Apr, 2008 1:13 pm

I googled but cannot find detail of this store.
Couldn't even get a hit on this thread...

I'd love for you to find out about one of these
http://www.macpac.co.nz/public_catalogu ... de,CA90U08
I am keen, but one does like to get the best price one can...
If you want to get details (price and phone number of person to talk to / name) and PM or email me, that would be great!
Cheers!
PS Hope it's not too presumptuous of me to ask and also hope it doesn't open a floodgate...
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac
Region: Tasmania

Postby Damien » Tue 01 Apr, 2008 1:27 pm

tasadam,

the store details were taken from http://www.macpac.co.nz

just FYI, I saw the new Cascades marked down at Anaconda last week and they were still available at Paddy Pallins.

Damein
Damien
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Penguin » Wed 02 Apr, 2008 10:44 am

I talked to Paddy Pallin in Launceston, the hobart one is no longer Paddy Pallin, and they are no longer getting any MacPac gear - they are selling off current stock with no restocking. I bought two Orient Express hybrid's at half price. Also Tassie Tackle in Burnie can no longer source MacPac stuff.

The gossip on the New Zealand shops is that they are having some teething problems.
Penguin
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Damien » Sat 05 Apr, 2008 6:51 pm

Well I checked it out today. The staff member I spoke to knew the Macpac products inside and out and he was extremely helpful. Virtually everything was marked down in one way or another.

tasadam - check your PMs.
Damien
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby tasadam » Tue 15 Apr, 2008 10:12 am

Damien wrote:Just to let everyone know, it appears that Macpac have already started launching their Australian retail outlets.
According to their website there is now a store open in Melbourne at 404 Smith Street, Collingwood.

There is also a 60% off 'selected gear' sale. I'll be in Melbourne this weekend so i'll definateley be checking it out.

From the horses mouth...
Another store opening soon in Elizabeth Street Melbourne, then in Sydney.
They will be coming to Tasmania, eventually.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby BoyfromTas » Wed 24 Sep, 2008 12:38 pm

I hear through the grapevine that a store is about to open down here in Hobart. No dates that I know of yet, but they said open by Christmas.
Hopefully they'll still have the sale on and "normal" peoples sizes :)
BoyfromTas
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby tasadam » Fri 07 Nov, 2008 7:19 am

An update on Macpac stores - They now have a Brisbane store open. As well as their Sydney, Melbourne and Collingwood stores.
And they claim they are opening stores at Chatswood (North Sydney), Canberra and Hobart this month.

http://www.macpac.co.nz/go/contact
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby casey79 » Sat 15 Nov, 2008 5:28 pm

Talking to a staff member in Sydney the store opened today here is the address off http://www.macpac.co.nz
Macpac - Hobart
48 Bathurst St, Hobart
Mon-Wed, Fri 9.30-5.30pm
Thurs 9.30-8.00pm
Sat-Sun 10.00-5.00pm
Ph (03) 6231 4342
casey79
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby Penguin » Sat 15 Nov, 2008 10:10 pm

Dropped in today. Still setting up. Basically all Macpac gear on show with a few other bits and pieces.

Good if you have a particular Macpac item you want to purchase, not that interesting for those just nosing around for something interesting.
Penguin

Re: Macpac Store - Hobart

Postby norts » Sun 16 Nov, 2008 5:24 pm

I had a look on Saturday. Not a store just to browse in.
I asked about Fairydown - I was told they will be getting gear in as well. Not sure where they will fit in. Not alot of floor space.

Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby blacksheep » Thu 27 Nov, 2008 5:15 pm

Hi Folks,
first, a clear disclosure- I have a commercial interest in macpac.
as noted above, we now have a small store operating in Hobart. It is only a small site, and we are looking for one that is bigger and better, but we couldn't keep waiting forever, so we started with this site. They will have the full range of macpac apparel and equipment, and will carry a representation of Fairydown gear too. May not be a "browsing store", but we do have good knowleable staff there, and you'll find that the new macpac pricing makes our gear a lot accesible (plus the store is on sale till christmas)
I read these forum reguarly, and learn quite a bit from what you folks discuss in here (a good solid users group is quite a good source for product feedback). Sorry my first post is a bit of self promotion- I'd gladly consider advertising here if that was an option(is it?)
cheers
blacksheep
Good design is a kind of alchemy.
www.alchemy-equipment.com
blacksheep

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TBA.

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 27 Nov, 2008 8:04 pm

Welcome, blacksheep. If you're associated with MacPac, then you're most welcome here, and we very much appreciate you addressing any issues that people directly raise about anything MacPac. Of course advertising is off limits, unless prior arrangements have been made, but you're more than welcome to answer questions, so long as you don't take it beyond what was specifically asked. As such, I think your post addresses issues that people have raised without going beyond that, so it's quite acceptable. :-)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby Nuts » Thu 27 Nov, 2008 8:38 pm

How's the price getting cheaper blacksheep? How's quality control? Not taking a dive down the same hole as katmanpoo I hope? Like chickenfeed for the outdoors...
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Thu 27 Nov, 2008 8:46 pm

OOch Nuts a bit hard on a first timer :lol: about as much as I should expect from a 1/2 Geordi such language also, poo indeed!!
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby Nuts » Thu 27 Nov, 2008 9:21 pm

:D I know, can't help myself, I hovered over the submit button but then though 'Oh golly, what the heck'...
I used to buy a lot of stuff from 'that store' but not one single thing remains (besides the zippered footy, I think that's around still)

As with 'that store' I would expect for macpac the temptation to churn over gear will prove too much for quality not to suffer.
Hope to be proven wrong as macpac have been a good brand...so i'm told..
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby blacksheep » Fri 28 Nov, 2008 5:30 am

Thanks for the welcome Nik. I do watch what goes on in user group forums like this- I try to (mostly) not push my barrow to far or hard where it is not appropriate.

Nuts wrote:How's the price getting cheaper blacksheep? How's quality control? Not taking a dive down the same hole as katmanpoo I hope? Like chickenfeed for the outdoors...

Cheaper? well, one less link in the supply chain. Instead of selling at a margin to a retailer, and them then selling at their margin to customers we have opened our own stores. It means that the price can come down on identical products when they reach the consumer.
How's quality control? you'll find no changes to suppliers,materials,design and specifications processes. The investment we made in the brand is to be protected.
I'm not from Tassie, but I went into chickenfeed this year while I was over for wildside mtb. they sold chocolate cheaply, but wasn't how I want to run my business.
:wink: cheers
blacksheep

Postby Tony » Fri 28 Nov, 2008 6:48 am

Hi Blacksheep,

I noticed that the Canberra store was starting to get gear in it last week. When are you expecting to open it.

On recommendations from some of the BW-T forum members I am thinking about buying a Microlite tent for 4-season use.

Thanks

Tony
There is no such thing as bad weather.....only bad clothing. Norwegian Proverb
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Nuts » Fri 28 Nov, 2008 8:50 am

Anyhow
blacksheep wrote:
Nuts wrote:How's the price getting cheaper blacksheep? How's quality control? Not taking a dive down the same hole as katmanpoo I hope? Like chickenfeed for the outdoors...

Cheaper? well, one less link in the supply chain. Instead of selling at a margin to a retailer, and them then selling at their margin to customers we have opened our own stores. It means that the price can come down on identical products when they reach the consumer. Dont really get that, you still have a 'retailer' just that the margin would go back to macpac?
How's quality control? you'll find no changes to suppliers,materials,design and specifications processes. The investment we made in the brand is to be protected. great
I'm not from Tassie, but I went into chickenfeed this year while I was over for wildside mtb. they sold chocolate cheaply, but wasn't how I want to run my business. why not-they make a fortune.....!
:wink: cheers
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Fri 28 Nov, 2008 8:59 am

Just to add that I wish you luck.
If your intentions are honorable then that will win over. If not then we will soon let you know.

I've never personally been a macpac fan but many are.
Many years ago, locals used to be able to just wonder down to the Outdoor store to buy macpac, doesn't seem much like progress from here, so I guess not all is 'altruistic'...
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby blacksheep » Fri 28 Nov, 2008 1:20 pm

Nuts wrote: Just to add that I wish you luck.
If your intentions are honorable then that will win over. If not then we will soon let you know.
is this Kate's dad? He said a similar thing when I picked her up from her house 11 years ago...

Nuts wrote:I've never personally been a macpac fan but many are.
Many years ago, locals used to be able to just wonder down to the Outdoor store to buy macpac, doesn't seem much like progress from here, so I guess not all is 'altruistic'...
things change....- retailers now have their own brands that they sell in prefernce to others-it gives them more margin.. many wholesale brands started to become niche , because that's how they were used... Our answer was to own and thus control the retail space.
blacksheep

Postby Nuts » Fri 28 Nov, 2008 3:40 pm

:lol: Think of us like a dozen 'Kate's Dad's'- it's a crazy can o worms...

I asked the local retailer who stocked macpac, their story is quite different and they maintain that the brand was taken off them cause they didn't have a high enough 'turnover' ?

Your going to have to open a local store here before i'd bother, however, this shouldn't be a problem now, should it? Your turnover may not be high but then that isn't the point... is it?
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby blacksheep » Sat 29 Nov, 2008 5:08 am

Nuts wrote:
I asked the local retailer who stocked macpac, their story is quite different and they maintain that the brand was taken off them cause they didn't have a high enough 'turnover' ?
well, if this happened before March this year I can't speak for it, maybe he's right, I dont know. When we bought macpac an anouncement was sent by the old owners saying that it is our intention to ope our own stores-no previous retailer has contacted us to ask if they can stock us, so therefore we've never had any discussion about turnover.
Nuts wrote:Your going to have to open a local store here before i'd bother, however, this shouldn't be a problem now, should it? Your turnover may not be high but then that isn't the point... is it?
where is here- Launceston? we won't open there any time soon- not sure why you say it shouldn't be a problem- we have limited resource, so evaluate any store opening carefully- and to say turnover isn't the point- well, it's not the #1 point, but if we don't sell we sink, simple as that...so,(like everyone else) we have a sale on in our stores now that it's christmas. We lower our prices and margins to ensure we sell products now because other retailer lead with a price offer, and we need to have the sales to fund purchases forour next seasons gear.. [/quote]
blacksheep

Postby Nuts » Sat 29 Nov, 2008 11:07 am

OK, and the market may be small but the question remains: Will macpac gear be stocked outside of (in this case) the Hobart store? Are people expected to make the 3/4/5 hr journey to have a look? A brand store probably makes good business sense in the short term but it's not exactly a new idea. Don't you think long term market security would come as much from broadening access to your gear rather than narrowing it? Real gear, practical and well made. Above all, avialable locally (otherwise why wouldn't people just rely on reviews and buy other brands online) and with good backup- the original reason you were approaching market dominance here.

No, I'm not a retail whizz, just an average Joe customer....
I actually looked seriously at buying a pack a few weeks ago and was turned off by the lack of stock and the staff explaination of what macpac are doing.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby blacksheep » Sat 29 Nov, 2008 4:19 pm

Nuts wrote:OK, and the market may be small but the question remains: Will macpac gear be stocked outside of (in this case) the Hobart store? Are people expected to make the 3/4/5 hr journey to have a look? A brand store probably makes good business sense in the short term but it's not exactly a new idea. Don't you think long term market security would come as much from broadening access to your gear rather than narrowing it? Real gear, practical and well made. Above all, avialable locally (otherwise why wouldn't people just rely on reviews and buy other brands online) and with good backup- the original reason you were approaching market dominance here.

No, I'm not a retail whizz, just an average Joe customer....
I actually looked seriously at buying a pack a few weeks ago and was turned off by the lack of stock and the staff explaination of what macpac are doing.

In tassie? just Hobart store in the next 12mths I think. If a store wanted to buy from us they are welcome, but they'd know that their previous wholesale price was very close to our retail price, so I can't see that being all that likely on many items. It's actually more expense to spread wide and thin that contolled distribution- the cost of business and risk of unpayers (yes, not all outdoor stores like to pay their bills...) can off set perceived gains..
We will develop our mail order to better cover areas where we don't have stores, - we have websales now, but we need to improve that- look at our website in another 3 weeks... (I know not all purchases are best made over the web though).

as for staff- Phil at Hobart should be able to answer any of your questions and help you out..

cheers
blacksheep

Postby Franco » Sat 29 Nov, 2008 4:36 pm

Maybe to understand the situation one could have a look at the Paddy Pallin relationship with Black Diamond. When PP were the importers , Bibler and Black Diamond tents dominated the tent display. Not much room was left for MacPac/Sierra Design/MSR and the occasional Mountain Hardwear. Now that Sea to Summit are the importers , do you still see many BD products at PP ?
Franco
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby blacksheep » Sat 29 Nov, 2008 4:50 pm

exactly right. Fairydown was closed out of key retailers, Macpac was passed over for brands the major stores imported themselves Mountain Designs do it too..(mammut/raichle/singing rock/lucky etc )
blacksheep

Postby blacksheep » Sat 29 Nov, 2008 4:51 pm

Tony wrote:Hi Blacksheep,

I noticed that the Canberra store was starting to get gear in it last week. When are you expecting to open it.

On recommendations from some of the BW-T forum members I am thinking about buying a Microlite tent for 4-season use.

Thanks

Tony

Tony, hopefully you'll be good to go now- was all set to open this weekend...

(link removed by admin)
blacksheep

Postby red tag » Tue 09 Dec, 2008 4:33 pm

Talking of retail outlets in Melbourne. Does anyone know what became of BUSHGEAR .. I think they were in Hardware street , upstairs in a funny old building ? I've still got my old heavy canvas, steel framed BUSHGEAR 'H' pack .. I bought it new in 1974 for $28. That's about $280 in todays money.

Mike
red tag
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Next

Return to Equipment