planning a trip, need advice on backpack

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

planning a trip, need advice on backpack

Postby scubabob » Fri 15 Jun, 2007 9:22 pm

Hi, i am relatively new to this forum but have so far found some excellant material. Many thanks to those who have posted with such zeal.

Now, the thing is, i am planning a trip in the next year or so doing the Overland Trail and am currently researching stuff and looking at equipment. The last back pack i had was issued to me when i was in the Army - practical but not comfy. I have been doing the rounds of adventure stores and trying out all the available backpacks and damn, there are so many - the Army was so much easier! I really need some advice here. I really dont know what brands are good and what ones arent. I have picked out a couple that are comfy and seem to offer things that i want and what i see as relevant ("D" rings, seperate compartments, bottom access and such). i do a lot of 4WD and camping and have a great 'daypack' setup but i am now after 'the big kit'

If anyone can offer assistance, i would really appreciate it. If you dont want to say anything bad about brand "X" or say that brand "Y" is better out in the open, feel free to email me at blueshooter@hotmail.com

Also, i have never gone bush without a small shovel and a machete (Army thing) do people carry these or are they seen as taboo?
you can't trully experience a rainforest without the rain
scubabob
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Re: planning a trip, need advice on backpack

Postby tasadam » Fri 15 Jun, 2007 11:23 pm

scubabob wrote:Also, i have never gone bush without a small shovel and a machete (Army thing) do people carry these or are they seen as taboo?

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Sorry to be that blunt with the :shock: but, well, no... You won't need them. A small shovel these days means a poopa scoopa like the orange ones the bushwalk shops sell, another post on this forum talks more of them and the benefit of a snow peg to assist in their function.

Guarantee you won't need a machete, particularly on the overland track.

Have a read of this and this

Don't get me wrong - I would love nothing more than to encourage you and everyone here to get out there and enjoy walking in Tassie. There are things you need to know, though. And may I say you've come to the right place :wink:

I know nothing of army life, but for the fact that you will be used to a heavy pack. This will help you immensely on a walk like this - either you will be able to travel "light" and do it easy compared to what you are used to, or you will have all the creature comforts you desire - including perhaps a few luxury food items instead of relying on mostly dehydrated stuff.
I would recommend the comapritive "light" option to start with.

Packs, well I will come back to this conversation in a day or three - gotta go get some sleep. But, personally, in short, Macpac! Reliable, comfortable. Served me well, and reliably for over 15 years!
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac
Region: Tasmania

Postby Joe » Fri 15 Jun, 2007 11:30 pm

viewtopic.php?t=28

This thread is from when i asked the same question. albiet without the question of taking gardening implements wtih me :twisted:

I really liked the caribee pack that i borrowed for the first trek...and the cheapie off ebay turned out to be quite a good buy. Im not doing massive multiday walks in snow just yet though so it suits my needs.
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.

Postby Son of a Beach » Sat 16 Jun, 2007 9:27 am

Definitely check out the thread linked to by TasWaterfalls (above), which covers much the same topic. And also this thread on shovels.

For packs, I prefer One Planet, but I'd agree with Tas Adam that Mac Pac are also excellent. In general, most regular bush walkers would probably tell you that if you plan on doing much walking you should be prepared to pay for an expensive pack, because you really do get what you pay for.

You can visit the web sites of most pack manufacturers to view their catalogue and get a lot of specific information without being nagged by a salesperson too. (I think some of these are linked to in the pack thread linked to by TasWaterfalls).

I hope some of this helps! Let us know what you ended up deciding to get, and after you use it, let us know what you think of it.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby kantonysen » Sat 16 Jun, 2007 11:58 am

I've just come home from having walked the overland track, my pack is a Macpak Cascade which just about will carry the kitchen sink!! I've had it a number of years and have been happy with it. A companion on the trip had a new One Planet and it certainly was a good pack. The One Planet is an Australian made pack which is a bonus.
kantonysen
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment