Anyone have experience with Eureka Tents?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Anyone have experience with Eureka Tents?

Postby the_camera_poser » Wed 06 Aug, 2008 9:43 am

I had a Eureka tent like 15 years ago, but does anyone have any recent experience with them- particularly the Zues 3?

http://www.moontrail.com/eureka-zeus3.php
the_camera_poser

Re: Anyone have experience with Eureka Tents?

Postby MichaelfromQLD » Wed 06 Aug, 2008 12:35 pm

I purchased (and still own) an Eureka! Bush Walker tent. I purchased it in 1999, so it's getting old but I do distinctly remember in about 2003 or 2004 I was car camping on a wet weekend and it did NOT keep the rain out.

Furthermore, the zeus seems to be one of those single-walled numbers which have 2 distinct disadvantages, especially in Tasmanian conditions.

1 ) Being single-walled, it will be colder as you're not holding a layer of air between the tent and fly as insulation.

2) Many users of single-walled "breathable" tents find that they don't cope in moist conditions and condensation is an issue. I don't know if the side vents will help this, or just make it colder.

It's super-cheap, and maybe for a reason??
MichaelfromQLD
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby the_camera_poser » Wed 06 Aug, 2008 1:51 pm

One day I'll find a real bargain....I know I will......lol
the_camera_poser

Postby NickD » Thu 07 Aug, 2008 11:41 am

I dont rate many American branded tents for Tassie as they don't have similar conditions like we do.
They either have dry, summer conditions - or cold icey snow conditions.
Often US tents have very low waterproof ratings on their tents - especially on the floors.
In Tassie we get that driving rain that is reinforced by strong wind which if your tent fly is too lightweight will just seep through.

European, Australian and New Zealand based tents are better for here, IMO.
NickD
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Return to Equipment