Animal Proofing Food...

Food topics, including recipes.

Animal Proofing Food...

Postby Liamy77 » Mon 14 Feb, 2011 3:19 pm

Just wondered what methods we all use to keep food "out of bounds" to our furry hoodlums
-and also how to prevent your tent / pack etc from getting extra acess holes chewed into em.....

I tend to not eat in my tent ( or have food in there at all) but i will cook in the vestibule in cruddy weather...

I have stored food in snaploc bags inside a food onlt drybag - some items rehydrating overnight in a Stainless steel wide neck bottles (i use eco tanka s but any non-plastic lined S.S. bottle woulda done the job - they were just there when i had the $ at the time, but i find them really good) - non plastic lined so i can boil water in them if i had to....

i have also heard that a very light wipe around the outside of the waterproof floor at ground level with deep heat / dencorub can stop rodents..... (and tom cats spraying if you ever need it btw).....

please specify if it is a method you have tested or just heard about.

i have hearsd that if you thread a few maccas straws onto the line each side of a food bag strung up between trees makes it much harder for rats etc to climb to the food as the straws mspin and act like a log roll in a river.... (havnt really tested that one yet)

i have heard of fold-flat light plastic boxes but can't find em as yet....

happy munching! :D
Taggunnah
GRAVITY... IS A HARSH MISTRESS!
knowledge's lighter than gadgets..but gadgets can be fun!
Liamy77
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Location: Southern Channel, Tas.... but sometimes i leave n walk around elsewhere!
ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Woodbridge Organics
Region: Tasmania

Re: Animal Proofing Food...

Postby Marwood » Mon 14 Feb, 2011 4:57 pm

Come on lads, let's get home. The sky's beginning to bruise, night must fall, and we shall be forced to camp.
Marwood
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby north-north-west » Mon 14 Feb, 2011 6:44 pm

All I've ever done is keep everything edible in a sealed drybag inside the tent. Never had any problems with pests.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby hanmaw » Thu 07 Jul, 2011 10:44 pm

I have a morbid fear of furry critters eating through my tent and either eating bits of me or my things. So I use opsaks and put them in an outsak or grubpack (I find the outsak lighter) and then tent peg them to the ground away from the tent or tie it to a branch. Never had a problem. And because we're hitting the overland track where they're tamer, I'll be adopting this technique in our summer trips.

Overkill I know. But it's just something that makes me sleep well at night.
hanmaw
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Bush Tucker