Sanitarium "One Square Meal"

Food topics, including recipes.

Re: Sanitarium "One Square Meal"

Postby wayno » Sat 16 Nov, 2013 3:34 pm

i read in a health magazine some time ago an article that had references that claimed the incidence of skin cancer has risen indirect proportion to the increase in the use of sunscreen
i've also read of a correlation between what you eat and your likehood of skin cancer, there are a lot of people running around exposed to the sun in the tropics eating diets with little processed food and low incidence of skin cancer or skin problems, polynesia is one example.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/dr-mike-ha ... 80578.html
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby GPSGuided » Sat 16 Nov, 2013 4:45 pm

wayno wrote:i read in a health magazine some time ago an article that had references that claimed the incidence of skin cancer has risen indirect proportion to the increase in the use of sunscreen...

Pure data and statistics can show many thing! But if it fails basic logic test, then think twice or thrice.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby wayno » Sat 16 Nov, 2013 4:51 pm

benzophenone is a common ingredient in sunscreen, studies show it produces organ damage in lab animals, also anexdotal evidence it interferes with testosterone in the body...

http://www.bibra-information.co.uk/profile-152.html
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Sun 17 Nov, 2013 1:38 am

Everything has a toxicity dose, even water and oxygen. Without proper perspective, everything are suspect.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wayno » Sun 17 Nov, 2013 3:45 am

i dont like the concept of lathering my skin with chemicals that are absorbed into it... people are doing it for decades, the stuff is too toxic to drink so why put it on your skin in regular doses?
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby metastable » Sun 17 Nov, 2013 6:38 am

I wouldn't eat lye or put it on my skin "as-is" either, but it's in every "natural" soap recipe (as it simply has to be, to be soap).

As GPSGuided said, it's all perspective.
metastable
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby photohiker » Sun 17 Nov, 2013 8:34 am

wayno wrote:i dont like the concept of lathering my skin with chemicals that are absorbed into it... people are doing it for decades, the stuff is too toxic to drink so why put it on your skin in regular doses?

Because the prevention is better than the side effects?
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wayno » Sun 17 Nov, 2013 9:00 am

well people think you're safe if you put sunscreen on, but are you really?,,, it still lets uv rays through that cause damage to the skin... and people stay in the sun longer because they have sunscreen on and or they want a tan, worst of all they lie horizontal to the sun maximising uv exposure unlike an upright walker ...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby photohiker » Sun 17 Nov, 2013 12:26 pm

wayno wrote:well people think you're safe if you put sunscreen on, but are you really?,,, it still lets uv rays through that cause damage to the skin... and people stay in the sun longer because they have sunscreen on and or they want a tan, worst of all they lie horizontal to the sun maximising uv exposure unlike an upright walker ...

Ok, we need to qualify this whole thread. We should be talking about reasonable people making sensible decisions, not taking extreme examples of stupidity and representing them as evidence that measured and qualified recommendations from health professionals are blatantly wrong.

Some people go to Solariums in Queensland to get a suntan. Well, they used to, because they are now in the process of being banned. Even if you wanted to expose your skin to damaging UV, why wouldn't you just walk outside?

What do the professionals say? Protect yourself. Wear protective clothing and sunscreen. EG. Mayo Clinic.

There is plenty of evidence linking sun exposure and skin cancer. It's not the only cause, sure, but let's not take something that might not even represent a tiny percentage of risk and use it as the reason to claim we should stop protecting ourselves from something that represents a major risk.

Lastly, there is not much support for the suggestion that sunscreen causes skin cancer, but there are many more convincing factors other than sunscreen as to why we might be seeing more skin cancer. EG: skincancer.org: Does sunscreen cause skin cancer? and Cancer Council; Cancer Myths: Sunscreen and Cancer
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wayno » Sun 17 Nov, 2013 1:15 pm

dont use sunscren at all. cover up makes more sense than smearing yourself with poisonous chemicals on a regular basis.
i dont trust information emanating from govt health organisations, i've seen too much of it thats incorrect. they just spout the established line and are too heavily intertwined with businesses such as pharmaceutical companies to be trusted.
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby photohiker » Sun 17 Nov, 2013 1:27 pm

wayno wrote:dont use sunscren at all. cover up makes more sense than smearing yourself with poisonous chemicals on a regular basis.
i dont trust information emanating from govt health organisations, i've seen too much of it thats incorrect. they just spout the established line and are too heavily intertwined with businesses such as pharmaceutical companies to be trusted.

So, walk around in a balaklava on sunny days?

When the govt health organisations present information that is inline with established medical science, I think it would be wise to take some heed.

I suppose you are anti-vaccinations too? :shock:
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wayno » Sun 17 Nov, 2013 1:33 pm

i'm not automatically anti whatever the govt health bodies message is, but, i dont trust what they are saying by default, i seek out alternate sources of information to make my mind up...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Sun 17 Nov, 2013 2:06 pm

I think the Muslims are onto something with their burqa! Not religious conservatism but health progressives.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wayno » Sun 17 Nov, 2013 2:12 pm

arabs are among some of the most vitamin d deficient people on the planet because of their tendency to dress head to toe
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Sun 17 Nov, 2013 2:25 pm

wayno wrote:arabs are among some of the most vitamin d deficient people on the planet because of their tendency to dress head to toe

Relative Vit D deficiency or malignant skin cancer, pick one. I think they chose wisely.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Onestepmore » Sun 17 Nov, 2013 2:27 pm

Doesn't Dubai have one of the highest incidences of diabetes in the world?

We really need to rename this thread!
'Random dietary and health myth busting' aka 'soapbox style'
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wayno » Sun 17 Nov, 2013 2:27 pm

its not a done thing that you bear your skin in the sun and will get skin cancer,,, so why doesnt everyone who gets a lot of sun exposure get skin cancer?
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby matagi » Sun 17 Nov, 2013 2:31 pm

GPSGuided wrote:
wayno wrote:arabs are among some of the most vitamin d deficient people on the planet because of their tendency to dress head to toe

Relative Vit D deficiency or malignant skin cancer, pick one. I think they chose wisely.

Unfortunately, it is not as simple as that. There is evidence emerging regarding the role of Vitamin D (which is in fact a hormone, not a vitamin) in protecting against cancers.

The bottom line is, as always, moderation. Sun exposure is not bad per se. It depends of what time of day the exposure occurs. Sun exposure in the early part of the day is ok. Sun exposure in the middle of the day is not.

FWIW, you can still get burnt through clothing (depending on the fabric)
This makes me the first man to climb Mount Everest backwards, without oxygen...or even a jumper.
matagi
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby wayno » Sun 17 Nov, 2013 2:33 pm

the majority of uv rays that generate vitamin d are available around midday and not early morning or late afternoon.. it possible to get a tan and be vitamin d deficient
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Sun 17 Nov, 2013 2:38 pm

matagi wrote:Unfortunately, it is not as simple as that. There is evidence emerging regarding the role of Vitamin D (which is in fact a hormone, not a vitamin) in protecting against cancers.

The bottom line is, as always, moderation. Sun exposure is not bad per se. It depends of what time of day the exposure occurs. Sun exposure in the early part of the day is ok. Sun exposure in the middle of the day is not.

FWIW, you can still get burnt through clothing (depending on the fabric)

Nothing is as simple. Not as if all Arabs are VitD deficient. I am sure they aren't just using clothing for sun protection. As for most places, outdoor workers are hardly the problem population.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby photohiker » Sun 17 Nov, 2013 3:54 pm

Well, their skin cancer is pretty much under control, unlike Australia and NZ: http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/caus ... y-country/ Israel looks to be the highest middle east country but they are still half NZ and Australia and they don't routinely adopt the Burqa. (these are deaths, not total incidence btw)

Vitamin D deficiency is higher for women in arab countries. Seems like it. Is the answer to start walking around in the blazing sun and take on melanoma risk?

Re Diabetes, are we suggesting this is because of the lack of sun exposure?

International Journal of Endocrinology, Type II Diabetes Mellitus in Arabic-Speaking Countries
Abstract
The global epidemic of diabetes has not spared the Arabic-speaking countries, which have some of the highest prevalence of type II diabetes. This is particularly true of the Arab Gulf, a conglomerate of high income, oil-producing countries where prevalence rates are the highest. The prevalence rates among adults of the Arabic speaking countries as a whole range between 4%–21%, with the lowest being in Somalia and the highest in Kuwait. As economic growth has accelerated, so has the movement of the populations to urban centers where people are more likely to adopt lifestyles that embrace increased high-calorie food consumption and sedentary lifestyles. These factors likely contribute to the increased prevalence of obesity and diabetes in the Arabic speaking countries.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby photohiker » Sun 17 Nov, 2013 3:56 pm

wayno, shouldn't you be wearing a hat? :D
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Sun 17 Nov, 2013 4:24 pm

photohiker wrote:Image
wayno, shouldn't you be wearing a hat? :D

Oooo... But Wayno is showing a perfectly shaded complexion that's consistent with a dedicated alpine tramper. Nothing wrong with that is there? ;)
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby matagi » Sun 17 Nov, 2013 6:03 pm

wayno wrote:the majority of uv rays that generate vitamin d are available around midday and not early morning or late afternoon.. it possible to get a tan and be vitamin d deficient

You need more exposure early morning or late afternoon - the UV rays are there, they are just not as intense as at midday when the sun is directly overhead.

FWIW, from May to August if you live in Adelaide, Melbourne or Hobart, you need 2-3 hours exposure per week. In the middle of summer on the other hand, you can get sufficient exposure from just a few minutes outside.
This makes me the first man to climb Mount Everest backwards, without oxygen...or even a jumper.
matagi

Region: Tasmania

Postby wayno » Sun 17 Nov, 2013 6:06 pm

i'd debate that, mate of mine is a mountain biker, gets more midday exposure than taht and has been measured as deficient in vitamin d, also depnds how much direct sunlight you have time to get and depends on teh weather, in winter pretty much everyone ends up deficient and now people cover up and avoid a lot of sun few get the vitamin d they need
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Sun 17 Nov, 2013 6:17 pm

This is where knowledge is important. VitD production like most biological processes isn't a single factor effect. UV isn't everything. There are many other factors.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Re: Sanitarium

Postby Picaro » Sun 17 Nov, 2013 7:16 pm

GPSGuided wrote:This is where knowledge is important. VitD production like most biological processes isn't a single factor effect. UV isn't everything. There are many other factors.

….including cholesterol. boom boom
Picaro
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby perfectlydark » Sun 17 Nov, 2013 8:10 pm

Where will this thread go next lol
perfectlydark

Re: Sanitarium

Postby wayno » Mon 18 Nov, 2013 3:14 am

Picaro wrote:
GPSGuided wrote:This is where knowledge is important. VitD production like most biological processes isn't a single factor effect. UV isn't everything. There are many other factors.

….including cholesterol. boom boom

vitamin D is made from cholesterol....
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 19 Nov, 2013 12:08 pm

This whole thread is Moot as Sanitarium have deleted the line due to very poor sales. When I wrote to the company about the product i got the usual cut and paste answer of someone who [ obviously ] had not even bothered to read my whole email
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Bush Tucker