Sanitarium "One Square Meal"

Food topics, including recipes.

Re: Sanitarium "One Square Meal"

Postby wayno » Tue 19 Nov, 2013 12:22 pm

i think sanitarium just licence produce it in aus. its made by cookietime in nz
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 19 Nov, 2013 12:36 pm

Nope, the Sanitarium branded was made in OZ, licensed maybe but made and packaged over here, was/is the NZ product as bad as the Sanitarium one?
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby wayno » Tue 19 Nov, 2013 12:43 pm

one square meal is a nz product, sanitarium make if in aus, its probaby as bad
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby metastable » Tue 19 Nov, 2013 2:22 pm

metastable
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 19 Nov, 2013 2:29 pm

Born 2012
Died 2013
Not missed by either family or freinds
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby icefest » Tue 19 Nov, 2013 3:22 pm

Wayno, what is your opinion on vaccinations?
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wayno » Tue 19 Nov, 2013 3:38 pm

mixed....
when vaccinations started coming in, it was around the time improved transportation was bringing more fresh food to the masses in the cities. , and vaccinations took all the credit for reducing disease.
if you deprive lab rats of sleep after you give them vaccinations , the vaccinations are prone to failure.
theres all sorts of chemical preservatives in them ...
i wouldnt say no to getting them with the nastier diseases..., i dont bother with the flu jabs
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 19 Nov, 2013 6:32 pm

wayno wrote:i wouldnt say no to getting them with the nastier diseases..., i dont bother with the flu jabs

Not unreasonable if you are not elderly or in a health compromised group.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby wayno » Fri 22 Nov, 2013 2:28 pm

Paleo: That's not really what Cavemen ate
Paleo eating has become the diet de jure in many health circles. I can't get away from it. It's a meat heavy eating plan, essentially allowing you to chow down on as much bacon as you want.

But it's based on a skewed understanding of what our caveman ancestors actually ate.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/new ... d=11161348
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Picaro » Fri 22 Nov, 2013 2:39 pm

Sorry, but that may be your interpretation based on some skewed practices.
Paleo is a framework, and should actually be plant heavy. As a matter of fact a proper application of the ancestral framework will include more vegetables than the average vegetarians, who tend to rely more on grains etc.
Picaro
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wayno » Fri 22 Nov, 2013 2:40 pm

its a quote from the link written by a dietician...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Picaro » Fri 22 Nov, 2013 3:02 pm

Fair enough, I probably should have followed the link first up. hehe

The writer appears to have a fair idea of what paleo should be, but then berates the movement because of the more radical elements.

One thing I'd point out is that most pale promoters have distanced themselves from cross fit these days. Although cross fitters will use a paleo (how doI kill this blasted auto-correct !) framework, cross fit itself has morphed. It began with a philosophy of getting the most return for the least input, but now is more of an ultra endurance race to physical destruction. Just my opinion of course.

Paleo is a paradigm shift from convention, which is still evolving. But I am convinced its heading in the right direction.
Picaro
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wayno » Fri 22 Nov, 2013 3:05 pm

some people use paleo as an excuse to live on bacon.... and avoid their veges despite what their parents told them...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Picaro » Fri 22 Nov, 2013 3:08 pm

Yes, well they are naughty little troglodytes who should be made to stand in the corner until they eat their kale and cauliflower. Except caves don't have corners….hmm.
Picaro
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby LandSailor » Sun 24 Nov, 2013 11:27 am

Apparently the Australian cricket team were conditioned on low-carb, high-fat diet and their results on the field so far seem pretty good to say the least. This comment might come back to haunt me :?

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 6649459842

From the page:-

MC: What's the secret, how did you lose eight kilos?

DW: It's no secret. Our doc has put us on this low carb, high fat diet which is quite interesting. No breads, no rice, no pasta. A few of the guys have been on it, Shane Watson, Mitchell Johnson, Usman Khawaja. A lot of grilled chicken and fresh vegies, that's basically what I was eating day in, day out, with salads.
LandSailor
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wayno » Sun 24 Nov, 2013 11:43 am

yeah and cricketers spend long periods of time standing still and only exercise in short bursts.. its not a diet i'd apply to endurance activities like bushwalking... when you need lots of energy fast, you cant absorb any source of energy faster than sugar and carbs
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby LandSailor » Sun 24 Nov, 2013 12:23 pm

wayno wrote:yeah and cricketers spend long periods of time standing still and only exercise in short bursts.. its not a diet i'd apply to endurance activities like bushwalking... when you need lots of energy fast, you cant absorb any source of energy faster than sugar and carbs

Yeah thats definitely the case for a ketogenic diet at least for the first month on it. Apparently it takes a while for the body to adapt to burning fat as the primary energy source.
Have seen a few examples of what must be reasonably low carb diets supporting intense exercise though...for example persistence hunters in Africa probably didnt eat too much refined carbs. Here's another example (warning : long video 1:17mins, data overload). Its a medical doctor who experiments on himself talking in detail on this topic.

Im sure the Australian cricket team would load up on carbs before matches to get their glycogen energy levels up.

And its still interesting though that elite sports nutritionists are recommending and achieving results with a diet that is a complete contradiction to the standard nutritional advice.
They would have to be well up on the latest nutritional science.
LandSailor
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wayno » Sun 24 Nov, 2013 12:30 pm

if you're on a hard multi day bushwalk, you'll struggle to get all your energy from fat... if you try to you'll probably start to feel low in energy once your body stores of glucose are used up. because you will struggle digest and burn fat fast enough to cope with the energy demands of a hard days bushwalk. runners refer to it as "hitting the wall" when their body stores of sugar run out... they cant produce enough energy to keep running. because they cant generate the energy required from fat... and hitting the wall can happen to the best runners, its not just a case of conditioning yourself to get more energy from fat,, there are limitations to how much you can adapt to burning fat.
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wayno » Sun 24 Nov, 2013 12:30 pm

if you're on a hard multi day bushwalk, you'll struggle to get all your energy from fat... if you try to you'll probably start to feel low in energy once your body stores of glucose are used up. because you will struggle digest and burn fat fast enough to cope with the energy demands of a hard days bushwalk. runners refer to it as "hitting the wall" when their body stores of sugar run out... they cant produce enough energy to keep running. because they cant generate the energy required from fat... and hitting the wall can happen to the best runners, its not just a case of conditioning yourself to get more energy from fat,, there are limitations to how much you can adapt to burning fat.
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Onestepmore » Sun 24 Nov, 2013 1:32 pm

Well, for me anyway, following a low carb diet has meant more energy overall, no ups and downs, no food cravings, no mid afternoon munchy attacks nor the need for coffee and biccies to get me through to dinner. I am never hungry. No desire for dessert. No desire for takeaway even when others around me are chowing down on Maccas or KFC or pizza. I do get a bit sick of explaining why i have cream in my coffee instead of milk! Yeah it requires a bit of pre planning, you need to often supply your own breakfast and lunch stuff. You have to explain that when you decline the Subway platter and the chocolate cake at staff birthday celebrations its not a personal rejection. Dinner out is usually fine, just eat the meat and the veges, ask for any sauces or dressings to be separate and just leave them if they have sugar in them ( as they often do, sigh).. I've had no problems with energy levels doing one and two day bushwalks, but suspect that would change with sustained walking or strenuous hiking over longer distances. I'll plan on taking dehydrated pasta and rice etc on longer walks. I've stopped taking muesli bars and dried fruit (berries are ok) and instead eat almonds and macadamia nuts, salami, cheese and beef jerky as snacks. An apple is about all ill take that's sweet.
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Picaro » Sun 24 Nov, 2013 4:03 pm

wayno wrote:if you're on a hard multi day bushwalk, you'll struggle to get all your energy from fat... if you try to you'll probably start to feel low in energy once your body stores of glucose are used up. because you will struggle digest and burn fat fast enough to cope with the energy demands of a hard days bushwalk. runners refer to it as "hitting the wall" when their body stores of sugar run out... they cant produce enough energy to keep running. because they cant generate the energy required from fat... and hitting the wall can happen to the best runners, its not just a case of conditioning yourself to get more energy from fat,, there are limitations to how much you can adapt to burning fat.

Check out a triathlete by the name of Ben Greenfield.

Low carb is not down to a ketogenic level. The 2 work in a different balance. Most people either use ketogenic in short cycles with low carb, or they are using keto as a therapeutic measure….as is the case with folk treating epilepsy in this way. Keto diets can also be used to bolster some cancer therapies where the cancer is one of the glucose dependent types.

If you are running on fat , as well as carb, as in the low carb type regime, you aren't just running on your last meal but also body stores. And optimal fat utilisation is in the 110- 130 bpm range for most folk. If people are hitting the wall when simply bushwalking, perhaps they should review some of their practices.
Picaro
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wayno » Sun 24 Nov, 2013 4:05 pm

if you're on a steep climb which can easily go on for several hours in nz with an overnight pack you'll need more carbs to prevent you hitting the wall
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Picaro » Sun 24 Nov, 2013 4:35 pm

Low carb……is not no carb.
Picaro
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wayno » Sun 24 Nov, 2013 4:37 pm

yup and i wouldnt go low carb on a hike
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby LandSailor » Sun 24 Nov, 2013 4:57 pm

Onestepmore wrote:Well, for me anyway, following a low carb diet has meant more energy overall, no ups and downs, no food cravings, no mid afternoon munchy attacks nor the need for coffee and biccies to get me through to dinner. I am never hungry. No desire for dessert. No desire for takeaway even when others around me are chowing down on Maccas or KFC or pizza.

My experience on the keto diet is much the same. Its early days for me but Ive so far Ive lost about 7 kilos in 4 weeks. Of course, the majority of that is the initial glycogen water-weight but I would have to say that losing that same amount of water weight on a standard low-fat diet would take longer and be much more miserable. Im assuming you have to burn off your glycogen stores no matter what the diet is before you get to reducing the body fat.

The keto diet is more stringent (20g carbs a day) than what other people might consider a low-carb diet. Im mainly eating this kind of food. Although the keto diet is high fat it's still calorie restricted. So your eating the same amount of reduced calories as you might on any diet, just made up of mostly fat rather than carbs. It just seems common-sense to me that this predisposes your body to burn your existing body fat.

And the food on this diet is ridiculous. Not saying I have this every day but this morning I had a 3 egg omelette with fetta cheese and bacon.
Here are some other people's favourite keto-friendly foods.
LandSailor
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby LandSailor » Tue 03 Dec, 2013 9:40 am

Just for those who might be interested, the book "Grain Brain" is quite cheap on Amazon kindle ($3.29) at the moment.
This interview gives some idea of the contents.

Edit: You need to be logged into Amazon with a US address registered as default on your Kindle (use a US hotel or something) to get the discount.
Last edited by LandSailor on Tue 03 Dec, 2013 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LandSailor
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Picaro » Tue 03 Dec, 2013 9:47 am

Is that the one written by a Neuro-Physicist, or Neuro- something or other ?
Picaro
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby LandSailor » Tue 03 Dec, 2013 10:15 am

Yep he's a neurologist and and Fellow of the American College of Nutrition.
LandSailor
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby photohiker » Wed 11 Dec, 2013 8:34 am

Looks like we are going on a un-controled experiment thanks to the ABC's anti cholesterol medication crusade:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-12-11/h ... st/5148802

A Heart Foundation survey of more than 1,000 Australians taking statins has found that almost one in 10 people have stopped taking their prescribed medication because of the program.

From those results it estimates that up to 55,000 patients may have stopped taking statins.

The charity fears that could cause up to 3,000 additional heart attacks and strokes over the next five years.

Dr Rob Grenfell from the Heart Foundation says the results of the survey are deeply concerning as one in four of those who altered their medication had previously had a heart attack or a stroke.

"We found that just under a third were certainly confused and unfortunately a number of those, about one in four, actually changed the way they took their medication," he told AM.

"Of that group that actually changed their medication, unfortunately one in 10 actually stopped their medication.

"Only about 50 per cent of those in fact were in what we call the primary prevention area and others were in fact people who'd had heart attacks or heart events who were at high risk of having another."

Adelaide Hills resident Iris Gladigau, 57, who is considered a high-risk patient, was prescribed statins after having a stent put into a blood vessel in 2002 after a severe blockage.

After trying three different drugs and experiencing side effects on all of them, Ms Gladigau says the Catalyst episodes were the tipping point.

"I just made the decision after I saw the Catalyst program that it was no longer worth it for me," she said.

I'm generally a supporter of the ABC but I think they have strayed well off the rails on this one. It is good to see that they are reporting on the community response to their program though.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wayno » Wed 11 Dec, 2013 8:51 am

or it could be the best thing to happen to the people on statins... the show not over till the fat lady sings
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

PreviousNext

Return to Bush Tucker