Hiking food for the PCT

Food topics, including recipes.

Hiking food for the PCT

Postby Stamina » Sat 11 Mar, 2023 8:24 pm

Some hikers who I have followed on you tube like to take refried beans and rice with a bit of olive oil as a staple. Some even eat the same thing every night which sounds a bit boring but I guess it can work.

It may be a bit harder to resupply with healthy options I expect. So much processed crap for sale today. I'm thinking oats for breakfast every day with dried fruit and snack foods during the day such as ready to eat rice, granola bars etc.

Any good tips?
Stamina
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Shawn
Region: Victoria

Re: Hiking food for the PCT

Postby norts » Sun 12 Mar, 2023 8:13 am

My diet on the AT/PCT was very similar to here in Tassie, except for a lot more M&Ms( dont melt as easy as chocolate) and just more of everything else.
Cereal (I wish I liked porridge), bars all day, ramen noodles and tinned fish or pita bread and honey (I dont like nutella which a lot of hikers use)for lunch and a freeze dried dinner. Then I hit the M&Ms for dessert. Some jerky to get protein , I sometimes cut it up and mix with the freeze dried meal.
Freeze dried is a bit expensive and sometimes you need to get them sent to you.
Also carried powdered Tang/gatorade, to have a big swig at camp, also makes warm water a bit more palatable in the desert.
A lot of ppl made ramen bombs. The US dried potato is a lot nicer than our and they have a few flavours.
First weeks you dont eat as much as later, once hiker hunger hits.
Taz
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Stamina » Mon 13 Mar, 2023 6:39 am

Were you able to eat healthy enough while in town? I think I'll be craving a fresh fruit salad or some grilled fisk LOL.

Also I hate noodles. Would have to be desperate to eat them.
Stamina
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Shawn
Region: Victoria

Postby norts » Mon 13 Mar, 2023 8:50 am

Definitely wanted salads when I got to town , also meat and chicken.
Work out where the AYCE restaurants are in each town, but you most likely will hear about those while on the trail.
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Turfa » Mon 13 Mar, 2023 10:33 am

I craved all sorts of things on town visits....Chocolate milk was a common one !
But yes, fruit and vegetable were always high on my list in town.
On the trail I am not a fussy eater so bought whatever had lots of calories for the weight. Some resupply places are fairly limited in selection, so it is whatever you can get and you have to be flexible. I did supplement as many meals as possible with olive oil just to add as many calories as I could while keeping the pack weight down.
Once you have been on trail for a few weeks you get so hungry that almost anything looks good !
Turfa
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Return to Bush Tucker