Desktop version
For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.
Post a reply

Samsung Xcover5 as a GPS nav device

Sat 20 Jul, 2024 2:57 am

didn't think this quite fitted a review so i put it here..
Anyway, ive been a fan of the Samsung xcover series of mobiles for years..xcover3,4 and now 5.
Granted i'm a few models behind the latest but funds are the only reason in that regard..
So im now using the xcover5, have 3 extra batteries for it (you can actually easily swap out batteries) and teamed it with the "AlpineQuest pro" nav app..
a lot of useful features with the app plus its able to keep logging position and track if you turn off the mobile screen if you want to save battery although i have found i can go 8hrs continuous use on the xcover5 before i get down to 10% after starting on a full charge..
The xcover5 is IP68 dust/water resistant and receives GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS..
so i think worth having a look at i think as an option for extended walks..
down side of the Xcover series is its not sold in Australia by Samsung so not really supported by them..

Re: Samsung Xcover5 as a GPS nav device

Mon 22 Jul, 2024 8:39 pm

Seems interesting, I'll check it out. Battery swap out might be handy. You can obviously re-charge phones from a power bank but getting back to 100% straight away is a benefit.
Post a reply