Macro

Cameras, tripods, techniques, etc.
Forum rules
Please note that the extended image rules for the Gallery forum also apply here.

Macro

Postby tasadam » Mon 16 Jun, 2008 10:14 am

the_camera_poser wrote:Canon 100/2.8 Macro.....

You're going to have fun with that one here in Tassie...

(Admin Edit: This topic has been split off from the 'Camera Shootout' topic.)
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac
Region: Tasmania

Re: Camera Shootout

Postby the_camera_poser » Mon 16 Jun, 2008 7:22 pm

tasadam wrote:
the_camera_poser wrote:Canon 100/2.8 Macro.....

You're going to have fun with that one here in Tassie...

Oh man, from Bumblebees to Fungi-I can't wait!!
the_camera_poser

Postby corvus » Mon 16 Jun, 2008 8:39 pm

Cp if you are here in winter we have Snow Spiders that chase Snow Moths don't know their names but I wondered for a couple of years what the Spiders lived on till one day I just stopped to watch,fungi will be reduced with the cold onset and the Dumbledores will most likely have descended (despite their Wooly Hawthorn jumpers)to slightly warmer areas with more tucker however seeing what tasadam and others can produce from closeup photography on this forum the world is your oyster so to speak :)
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby Joe » Tue 17 Jun, 2008 11:15 am

woka wrote:On the wishlist are a 5D MkII (if they ever get made!), 17-40L and 100mm Macro.

Looking at your gear and wishlist you probably dont have too many budgetary concerns...but if you are wanting to save a few sheckles then check out the Tamron 90mm macro. It's a spectacular lens, from most reports outperforms the canon lens and is half the price. It my next lens on to-buy list.
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.

Postby tasadam » Tue 17 Jun, 2008 11:39 am

Some further discussion on the Tamron 90mm here - http://www.dslrusers.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=32392

I don't know about Canon glass or where it sits.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby Joe » Tue 17 Jun, 2008 11:47 am

Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

Postby the_camera_poser » Tue 17 Jun, 2008 7:02 pm

corvus wrote:Cp if you are here in winter we have Snow Spiders that chase Snow Moths don't know their names but I wondered for a couple of years what the Spiders lived on till one day I just stopped to watch,fungi will be reduced with the cold onset and the Dumbledores will most likely have descended (despite their Wooly Hawthorn jumpers)to slightly warmer areas with more tucker however seeing what tasadam and others can produce from closeup photography on this forum the world is your oyster so to speak :)
corvus

It's killing me! :-)

Guys that use macro rigs- do you use a special bracket for flashes at all?
the_camera_poser

Postby Joe » Tue 17 Jun, 2008 7:30 pm

Tasadam and I are (or should that be were) in progress of working on custom macro flash. I had ideas, he had expertise...but neither of us seem to have motivation at moment.

This is a mighty easy way to manage it....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jwlphotography/1488080340/

for us Nikon guys the ITTL wireless flash that the new sb600/800 provides by default is well and truly good enough to manage without PW's...but you canon monkeys will have to shell out a bit extra to get reliable results :twisted:
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

Postby walkinTas » Tue 17 Jun, 2008 11:25 pm

taswaterfalls.com wrote:Tasadam and I are (or should that be were) in progress of working on custom macro flash. I had ideas, he had expertise...but neither of us seem to have motivation at moment.

You mean something like this.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby woka » Wed 18 Jun, 2008 9:04 am

taswaterfalls.com wrote:
woka wrote:On the wishlist are a 5D MkII (if they ever get made!), 17-40L and 100mm Macro.

Looking at your gear and wishlist you probably dont have too many budgetary concerns...but if you are wanting to save a few sheckles then check out the Tamron 90mm macro. It's a spectacular lens, from most reports outperforms the canon lens and is half the price. It my next lens on to-buy list.

Thanks for that, I tend to prefer the canon gear, but I'm always open to a good third party option. I'll check it out when the time comes.

BTW: Budget is definitely an concern! It's taken some diligent saving to get this kit together, but it's been well worth it.

RE: Nikon flash ITTL etc - I couldn't agree more, I wish Canon would get the multi-flash control stuff together!
woka
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: Macro

Postby the_camera_poser » Fri 27 Jun, 2008 5:19 pm

I am just starting to test out my new 100/2.8 macro- it is insanely sharp! Slow to autofocus though- I'd strongly consider the Tamron or others, as it wont be autofocused for much, and the USM focusing drive is the main reason to get the Canon. The downside of the Tammy, Sigma, etc is that they extend considerably when focussing, which further diminishes your working distance.
the_camera_poser

Re: Macro

Postby woka » Sat 28 Jun, 2008 8:45 am

the_camera_poser wrote:The downside of the Tammy, Sigma, etc is that they extend considerably when focussing, which further diminishes your working distance.

And (generally) means a much greater susceptibility to getting dust inside the lens. Does the canon 100 etend as well?
woka
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Photography