Gear List Feedback

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Gear List Feedback

Postby celtic07 » Wed 12 Oct, 2022 1:23 pm

My son and I (58 & 30) are doing the OLT starting next Thursday 26th.
We are QLDers and maybe not prepared for the Tasmanian weather and would like some feedback please.
Can anyone help?

https://lighterpack.com/r/gjgkep
celtic07
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Re: Gear List Feedback

Postby headwerkn » Thu 13 Oct, 2022 8:47 am

Springtime in Tasmania's highland/alpine areas - at least in my experience over the past couple of decades - tends to be the most variable in terms of weather. It can be pleasantly mild (by our standards, so probably 'cold' to QLDers) it can rain incessantly, it can snow. It can do all these things in within a few hours.

The mantra is therefore always "be prepared for it all". I probably wouldn't bother with serious winter gear by late October (snow shoes etc) but definitely be prepared for cold, wet weather and potential snow flurries. If you're planning on climbing some of the peaks and the forecast shows very cold/icy weather, you might consider carrying microspikes/mini-cramps.

Tent is fine - all the formal tent sites are reasonably sheltered. Unless you're a cold sleeper the combination of quilt, Reactor liner and pad should be fine too... I've used a 5C (40F) down quilt with the same Reactor and both an Xtherm MAX (R6.9) and Uberlite (R2.3, plus a 3mm foam mat underneath) on different trips in the area over the past couple of months and been perfectly warm. Many people probably would prefer a -4/-8C rated sleeping bag this time of year, though, so make a judgement call as to your own tolerance/needs.

I'm not familiar with the Ugly Stik wet weathers (fishing gear?), but consider a good quality pair of seam-sealed, breathable waterproofs pretty much essential for the Overland Track any time of year. These are required carry for the Cradle Mountain Run which is held in February, cheap plastic ponchos/overpants just aren't good enough. Especially for a week-long trip.

Other than taking a few more pairs of gloves (wet, cold hands are the worst) the rest looks pretty good. Remember you'll want at least one set of clothes/thermals/socks for sleeping/end of day at huts that are kept dry at all costs. If it's a wet trip, your walking gear will get wet and likely stay wet, so plan and pack accordingly. Some people like multiple pairs of socks to rotate during a trip, though putting dry socks into wet boots doesn't really make much sense ;-)

One thing worth stressing: the ability to dry gear at huts is pretty limited. As of two weeks ago all the huts bar Waterfall Valley were out of gas... I'm not sure when they'll be replaced, but either way the older heaters have very limited output. They're designed to take the chill out of the air, not dry clothes. Unfortunately we see people time and time over swamping the small heaters with all their wet gear, hoping they can dry it out overnight. They wont. All it does is add humidity to the huts and make them smell like your dank socks. An hour or two sun and a light breeze outside, if the weather allows, will achieve far more. The heaters in the new huts (I believe Windermere will be opened in the next month or so) are much improved but still aren't anything like airing out your washing in front of a Saxon or heat pump.

Of course, you may get several days of lovely mild spring weather and be more concerned about avoiding sunburn, as was the case when we did Mt Proteus a couple of weeks ago!

Last bit of advice - take plenty of toilet paper. If you don't use it all, it's a very valuable trading commodity at Bert Nichols hut, and you'll be able to barter some yummy snacks off desperate walkers who didn't take enough TP ;-)

Hope this helps - enjoy your trip!
Last edited by headwerkn on Thu 13 Oct, 2022 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
headwerkn
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby Lamont » Thu 13 Oct, 2022 9:53 am

I'm hitting the 'LIKE' button on the response above! :D
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby celtic07 » Fri 14 Oct, 2022 6:43 am

Thanks headwerkn for your reply.
headwerkn wrote:I'm not familiar with the Ugly Stik wet weathers (fishing gear?), but consider a good quality pair of seam-sealed, breathable waterproofs pretty much essential for the Overland Track any time of year. These are required carry for the Cradle Mountain Run which is held in February, cheap plastic ponchos/overpants just aren't good enough. Especially for a week-long trip.

Yes Ugly Stik is fishing gear. Almost bomb proof. It can get a bit muggy wearing it in tropical QLD but I wanted to try it out down there.

headwerkn wrote:Other than taking a few more pairs of gloves (wet, cold hands are the worst) the rest looks pretty good. Remember you'll want at least one set of clothes/thermals/socks for sleeping/end of day at huts that are kept dry at all costs. If it's a wet trip, your walking gear will get wet and likely stay wet, so plan and pack accordingly. Some people like multiple pairs of socks to rotate during a trip, though putting dry socks into wet boots doesn't really make much sense ;-)

Good advice about the gloves

Thanks again for your great reply.
celtic07
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Postby headwerkn » Wed 19 Oct, 2022 8:04 am

You're welcome :-) Hope you have a good trip.

Slight correction - Narcissus Hut's gas heater was still working as of late September. Weirdly for a oft-bypassed hut it was chock-a-block when I was there, hut and tent platforms. Maybe 20 people there, I've never seen it so busy. Pleasantly snug inside which was just as well, because after several days of lovely mild weather, we woke to snowfalls the next morning :-D
headwerkn

Region: Tasmania

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain