Huon track (Yo Yo track)

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Huon track (Yo Yo track)

Postby Tortoise » Mon 09 Jan, 2023 7:15 am

pazzar wrote:
Tortoise wrote:Bumping an old topic - I'm wondering how easy or difficult it can be to cross the Cracroft River when there hasn't been lots of rain. Probably a how-long-is-a-piece-of-string question, depending on your ease of river crossings.

I see on BOM that there's a river height listed for the Huon at Harrison's Opening, which is conveniently close to the Cracroft. That has been consistently at 0.72m over the past few days without rain. Does anyone know how that height would relate to the height of the Cracroft? Thanks for any info.

I've been there during low water - it is probably no more than knee deep. Lots of rocky rises to cross on too. I've also seen it where it has been so high that it would have been up around head height, so not crossable. The crossing is at a pretty slow point of the river, so provided the water is low, you shouldn't have any problems.

Thanks, Pazz.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby headwerkn » Mon 09 Jan, 2023 8:07 am

Good to know. Was looking at heading in through the Huon Track soon for, uh, similar reasons too ;-). As you say Tortoise, there's only so many trips you can make along the Arthur Plains in a single calendar year before questioning your life choices.

I'm curious how many days people usually give themselves to reach Cracroft Camp? Is it sensibly doable in a single (summer/autumn) day? By "sensibly doable" I mean, we were able to get from Scotts Peak Dam to Strike Creek in a single day, but it wasn't particularly sensible...
Last edited by headwerkn on Mon 09 Jan, 2023 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
headwerkn
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Tortoise » Mon 09 Jan, 2023 10:47 am

headwerkn wrote:As you say Tortoise, there's only so many trips you can make along the Arthur Plains in a single calendar year before questioning your life choices.
:lol:
I'm curious how many days people usually give themselves to reach Cracroft Camp? Is it sensibly doable in a single (summer/autumn) day? By "sensibly doable" I mean, we were able to get from Scotts Peak Dam to Strike Creek in a single day, but it wasn't particularly sensible...

I can't answer your question, but I did get some very helpful info today from the Mt Field office. No work has been done post-fires on the Yo Yo track. There are apparently a lot of trees down, and it's overgrown through lack of recent use. Back to the Arfa Plains... We'll just have to pick some nice weather to do it in. Not too hot, minimal mud-skating between button grass mounds I can't see over the top of. Come to think of it, there are a lot less of the latter than there were pre-fires.
Last edited by Tortoise on Mon 09 Jan, 2023 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby headwerkn » Mon 09 Jan, 2023 4:19 pm

EDIT for "it WASN'T particularly sensible"...

Thanks Tortoise. Shame PWS haven't given it any love. Everything I've seen/read about the Huon Track from recent years leading up to 2019 indicated it's not only an up-down ride along the way (hence the nickname) but also has been much affected by blow overs and general overgrowth which hinder navigation and obviously don't make it a particularly quick track to walk. Even without high water river crossings to consider. Can't imagine it has got any better after two years of being a no-go zone.

Urgh, might have to go via Arthur Plains again... ;-)
headwerkn

Postby Tortoise » Mon 09 Jan, 2023 5:30 pm

Interesting - I read what you meant, not what you wrote. :) I edited your quote too.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mechanic-AL » Mon 09 Jan, 2023 7:51 pm

If you can put up with the ups and downs of the track and the unders and overs of logs then its actually a really beautiful walk and as others have said there are a couple of awesome campsites along the way.
The crossing can look a lot more daunting than it is because its quite a wide spot to cross and can have the appearance of being much deeper than it actually is. The depth seems to remain fairly consistent all the way across so if it's too deep I reckon you will know pretty quickly !
If the Arthur Plains is becoming a chore then you have everything to gain and little to lose by doing the Yo-Yo !
Hope you have a good trip whichever way you go
"What went ye out into the wilderness to see?
A reed shaken in the wind"?
Mechanic-AL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby Somerfly » Sat 14 Jan, 2023 10:56 am

Really dry on farmhouse creek track last weekend. Only a handful of mudholes on the track and upper cracroft slow moving if that's any guide tortoise.
Cheers Wayne
Somerfly
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby Somerfly » Sat 14 Jan, 2023 11:01 am

Opps didn't see second page!
Last edited by Somerfly on Sat 14 Jan, 2023 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Somerfly
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby TentPeg » Sat 14 Jan, 2023 4:33 pm

Hobart Walking Club has been doing 'regular' clearing of the track as far as Blake's Opening.
TentPeg
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Tortoise » Sat 14 Jan, 2023 7:48 pm

Thanks, folks.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby biggbird » Sun 15 Jan, 2023 1:54 pm

Pretty sure the Huon track was cleared post fire, as I know somebody who cleared it. He said they were tasked with clearing it to a width of 3m from memory. Undoubtedly there would be more blowdowns since, but he said it should be much better than previous!
biggbird

Postby north-north-west » Sun 15 Jan, 2023 4:45 pm

biggbird wrote:Pretty sure the Huon track was cleared post fire, as I know somebody who cleared it. He said they were tasked with clearing it to a width of 3m from memory. Undoubtedly there would be more blowdowns since, but he said it should be much better than previous!

Given the severity of the fires through there and subsequent wild weather, there will still be a lot of timber down.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Previous

Return to Tasmania