Helicopter Rescues in Tasmania "2"

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Helicopter Rescues in Tasmania "2"

Postby Overlandman » Sun 09 Apr, 2023 12:12 pm

Aero Med 78 Hotel (AM78H) Bell 412 has just retrieved a patient from the Franklin River Area, it’s heading to Strathgordon to refuel before dropping the patient at the Royal Hobart Hospital
Must use the 412 as it has a better winch. Can anyone confirm?
Whatever, Wherever, Whenever
Overlandman
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby doogs » Sun 09 Apr, 2023 7:12 pm

It was the Frankland river area not Franklin.. looked more Maconochie or Cinder Hill on the flight path.
Do you want to build a snowman?
doogs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Overlandman » Sun 09 Apr, 2023 10:11 pm

Went well beyond the flight path.
ADSB coverage is not good out that way.
Also went past the requested sartime due to no radio coverage.
Overlandman
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Overlandman » Mon 19 Jun, 2023 6:38 pm

Not a helicopter rescue as the weather was too poor.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-06-19/ ... /102497242

A woman who injured an ankle while walking the Overland Track has been rescued after spending the night in freezing conditions in the remote central highlands of Tasmania.

The 28-year-old from Victoria activated her personal locator beacon about 5:30pm Sunday.

It showed her location to be two kilometres south of Kitchen Hut on the Cradle Mountain end of the Overland Track.

The rescue helicopter was not able to be used because of weather conditions but a team of police, ambulance and SES personnel walked in last night.

After locating the woman about 1:30am, they helped her return to Kitchen Hut and walk out on Monday morning.
Overlandman
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby matagi » Tue 20 Jun, 2023 10:02 pm

I was trying to work out where 2km south of Kitchen Hut would put her.

Can anyone enlighten me?
This makes me the first man to climb Mount Everest backwards, without oxygen...or even a jumper.
matagi
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby tastrax » Tue 20 Jun, 2023 10:21 pm

South of Fury Gorge - north of Benson peak?

2k_kitchen.JPG
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby MrWalker » Wed 21 Jun, 2023 8:02 am

[quote="tastrax"]South of Fury Gorge - north of Benson peak?
That would be right. The rocky track along that section is ideal for slipping on an icy rock and injuring an ankle.
The injury may not have happened as far south as that. She may have tried to continue for a while, hoping to reach the boarded area past the junction.
MrWalker

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 21 Jun, 2023 8:49 am

There's an emergency pod (fibreglass dome 'hut' thingy) near the Lake Rodway turn-off. Just a couple of hundred metres further on. (Or at least there was when I was last there a couple of years ago.)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby MrWalker » Wed 21 Jun, 2023 5:18 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:There's an emergency pod (fibreglass dome 'hut' thingy) near the Lake Rodway turn-off. Just a couple of hundred metres further on. (Or at least there was when I was last there a couple of years ago.)

That would explain why the beacon was not activated until 5:30pm. She was probably trying to reach it, but couldn't get there before dark.
MrWalker

Postby Last » Wed 21 Jun, 2023 6:03 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:There's an emergency pod (fibreglass dome 'hut' thingy) near the Lake Rodway turn-off. Just a couple of hundred metres further on. (Or at least there was when I was last there a couple of years ago.)

It's still there. It was put there as part of the coroner's recommendations after a walker died of exposure nearby, with good reason. It's incredibly exposed there in poor weather.
noen ganger er det godt å være alene i villmarken
Last
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby matagi » Wed 21 Jun, 2023 9:37 pm

Hence my confusion. They implied she was on the Overland Track, 2 km south of Kitchen Hut, which I figured would put her close to the emergency pod. So why did they all go back to Kitchen Hut and not go on to the pod, which should have been closer and easier to get to - that rocky section notwithstanding.
This makes me the first man to climb Mount Everest backwards, without oxygen...or even a jumper.
matagi

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 22 Jun, 2023 6:31 am

If they were very close to the pod then this would seem to be a logical place to stay. If the casualty cold walk with support and the distance to the pod was more than, say, 800 metres, Kitchen Hut appeals more. This saves doubling back Air rescue was not possible. Also, the distances cited in the media may be incorrect.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 22 Jun, 2023 11:56 am

Lophophaps wrote:If they were very close to the pod then this would seem to be a logical place to stay. If the casualty cold walk with support and the distance to the pod was more than, say, 800 metres, Kitchen Hut appeals more. This saves doubling back Air rescue was not possible. Also, the distances cited in the media may be incorrect.

This sounds reasonable. The 'pod' would certainly be less draughty than Kitchen Hut. Every time I've stopped at Kitchen Hut in winter with the idea of getting in out of the weather for a few minutes, it usually feels colder inside than outside! (Although I know that's partly just because I'm sitting still instead of walking.)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby Nuts » Fri 23 Jun, 2023 5:50 am

Last wrote:

It's still there. It was put there as part of the coroner's recommendations after a walker died of exposure nearby, with good reason. It's incredibly exposed there in poor weather.

Inexperienced walkers, who would at least have thought twice about an exposed alpine walk in winter, are heading out there more often. Examining the people going and their reasoning (ref: one read through the bushwalking social media) would reveal issues not fixed by adding infrastructure. The huts, thoughts of meeting other new walkers 'surviving', heaters and refuge are likely as much part of the cause.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby matagi » Fri 23 Jun, 2023 7:17 am

Nuts wrote:
Last wrote:

Inexperienced walkers, who would at least have thought twice about an exposed alpine walk in winter, are heading out there more often. Examining the people going and their reasoning (ref: one read through the bushwalking social media) would reveal issues not fixed by adding infrastructure. The huts, thoughts of meeting other new walkers 'surviving', heaters and refuge are likely as much part of the cause.

Reading some of the questions and responses on some of those social media pages is quite frankly, frightening. I think we have been lucky in Tasmania that there have not been a lot of serious incidents or deaths.
matagi

Postby Overlandman » Fri 23 Jun, 2023 2:33 pm

From Tas Police Yesterday
If you're planning on exploring Tasmania’s wilderness or alpine areas please carry equipment to keep safe until the arrival of emergency services if required.

Yesterday, two men experiencing medical issues were rescued from Kitchen Hut at Cradle Mountain.

The two men were suitably prepared for a day trip with communication devices, ropes, helmets, ice axes, limited food, tarps, warm and dry sleeping bags and mats, and head torches – however they were not prepared to camp overnight if they faced difficulty.

A land-based Search and Recue team rescued the men - one had fallen around 1.5metres while rock climbing and the other had developed abdominal pains and sickness.
Overlandman
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Tortoise » Fri 23 Jun, 2023 4:44 pm

Overlandman wrote:The two men were suitably prepared for a day trip with communication devices, ropes, helmets, ice axes, limited food, tarps, warm and dry sleeping bags and mats, and head torches – however they were not prepared to camp overnight if they faced difficulty.
(My emphasis)
A land-based Search and Recue team rescued the men - one had fallen around 1.5metres while rock climbing and the other had developed abdominal pains and sickness.

I don't usually carry my mat and sleeping bag on a day trip - though I take extra layers and an emergency bivvy bag, and would consider adding a light weight mat and quilt for a particularly long winter's day walk in the mountains. I'm wondering what else they would have needed to be able to camp overnight? I can understand if the medical issues meant they needed more urgent evacuation, and in the cold, a stove and more food would have been very helpful. But am I missing something here? I would have thought they were exceptionally well prepared to camp overnight - especially in Kitchen Hut - when things went wrong. I'm not suggesting they should have done so, given those medical issues. I'm just surprised by the comment from the police.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Sat 24 Jun, 2023 7:54 am

Torty:
Kitchen is colder, but I've spent a night in Rangers Hut during snow season, using no more than what they had. Two of them there, snuggling up, they should have been warm enough. One night without food won't do any damage. So, yes, they seem to have been adequately equipped for a night out if necessary.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Overlandman » Wed 05 Jul, 2023 8:08 am

Story from Todays ABC News about the perils of walking in Tasmania and recent searches / rescues.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-07-05/ ... /102559802
Overlandman
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Warin » Wed 05 Jul, 2023 1:01 pm

Overlandman wrote:From Tas Police Yesterday
The two men were suitably prepared for a day trip with communication devices, ropes, helmets, ice axes, limited food, tarps, warm and dry sleeping bags and mats, and head torches – however they were not prepared to camp overnight if they faced difficulty.

How much pack weight would the Tas Police consider adequate for a day trip that might turn into an overnight camp? 15 kg?

A short walk to a waterfall the Police might consider many things 'suitable' .. while most would carry a phone, a camera and not much else.

All very easy with hindsight 20/20 for those occasions where things go wrong. But increasing the weight carried also increases risk.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Lostsoul » Wed 05 Jul, 2023 4:51 pm

Always carry a small dry bag that contains a plb,emergency bivvy bag,first aid kit with two emergency blankets inside,one for a groundsheet and one to fashion into a makeshift shelter/tent.This easily fits into my day pack and goes on every walk with me,whether it be 5 days or 5 minutes.
Lostsoul
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Sun 13 Aug, 2023 7:23 pm

Thiis one is a few days old:

** From Tasmanian Police Page.
“Police are again urging bushwalkers to be prepared after two people called for help at Cradle Mountain overnight.
Emergency services were alerted to two men who had been walking in the national park, before they went off track and became stuck in extremely steep terrain just before 5.30pm last night.
The Burnie locals had trekked to the summit, with minimal food and water, a mobile phone and no equipment to spend the night in case of emergency.
The pair contacted emergency services requesting a rescue helicopter.
Police search and rescue officers, and Ambulance Tasmania wilderness paramedics walked in and assisted the walkers back to safety. Parks and Wildlife Services personnel also aided in the operation.
Inspector Steve Jones, Officer in Charge of Western Search and Rescue, said it was incredibly frustrating that police were forced to repeat the same warnings again and again.
“The rescue helicopter is a vital service, and available for genuine emergencies,” Inspector Jones said.
“It was a sunny, clear day at Cradle Mountain, and had the two walkers not gone off track, they would not have got lost.
“Bushwalkers should always prepare for the worst, and while the weather was great yesterday, that can change rapidly. Our emergency service personnel often put their own lives at risk during rescues, so it is frustrating when the situation could have been avoided.”
If you're planning on bushwalking:
• Be prepared
• Research your trip
• Inform others of your trip
• Carry Communication Devices”
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby headwerkn » Mon 14 Aug, 2023 9:28 am

Interesting to note the firmer-than-usual tone by both TasPol and Westpac Rescue on this one.

Don't know exactly what went down, but it sounds like it involved more than a passing amount of deliberate stupidity. Disappointing to see from locals, who should know at least a little better...
headwerkn

Postby north-north-west » Mon 14 Aug, 2023 10:39 am

headwerkn wrote:Interesting to note the firmer-than-usual tone by both TasPol and Westpac Rescue on this one.

Don't know exactly what went down, but it sounds like it involved more than a passing amount of deliberate stupidity. Disappointing to see from locals, who should know at least a little better...

How do you get lost going off-track on Cradle Mtn anyway, particularly on a clear day? Bensons is that way, Lake Rodway is down there, the track is on that side and the ridge to Smithies, Weindorfers and Little Horn is thataway. The alternative routes off the summit aren't necessarily easy, but direction of travel is always obvious. You find you're on an impassable line going down, then you turn around and backtrack.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Warin » Mon 14 Aug, 2023 11:21 am

north-north-west wrote:This one is a few days old:

“Police are again urging bushwalkers to be prepared after two people called for help at Cradle Mountain overnight.
Emergency services were alerted to two men who had been walking in the national park, before they went off track and became stuck in extremely steep terrain just before 5.30pm last night.
The Burnie locals had trekked to the summit, with minimal food and water, a mobile phone and no equipment to spend the night in case of emergency.

:roll:
Number of people carrying overnight equipment up Cradle Mt? 0, or very close to it.

Agree on not providing a helicopter for them. Hopefully they have rethought their expectations.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby north-north-west » Mon 14 Aug, 2023 12:29 pm

Warin wrote:
north-north-west wrote:This one is a few days old:

:roll:
Number of people carrying overnight equipment up Cradle Mt? 0, or very close to it.

Which is why you don't try to puish an off-track route down, late on a winter's day, when you don't know the terrain.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Overlandman » Tue 22 Aug, 2023 10:37 am

From Tasmania Police
A search is currently underway for two missing walkers in South-West Tasmania.

Search and Rescue members on the ground and in the Westpac Rescue Helicopter are searching for two men in their 60’s who were on a walk in the Loddon Range area.

Around 9.10pm emergency services responded to a Personal Locator Beacon activation.

Ground crews were dispatched to the area overnight but were unable to cross the river as the conditions were not safe

Ground crews crossed the river safely this morning and are continuing the search.

The Westpac Rescue Helicopter has also been dispatched and is searching the area.

Update

Great news... the two missing bushwalkers have been located safe and well a short time ago.

“Around 9.08pm yesterday police received a report of two bushwalkers who had activated a personal locator beacon,” said Sergeant Damian Bidgood.

“The two men in their 60s were undertaking a day walk in the Loddon Range in South-West Tasmania. Search and Rescue members on the ground and in the Westpac Rescue Helicopter initiated a search, which continued throughout today.”

“About 5pm this evening, the men were sighted by the Westpac Rescue Helicopter. As the terrain and weather is too challenging for a winching rescue operation, a ground crew is now on the way to reach the men,” said Sergeant Bidgood.
“This is a fantastic outcome for everyone involved. It will take several hours for the search and rescue team, accompanied by paramedics, to reach the men.

"When the team reaches the men and assesses the situation a decision will be made as to whether they stay overnight at the location and walk out in the morning.” he said.
Overlandman
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby lefroy » Tue 22 Aug, 2023 8:53 pm

Pretty decent 'day walk' with the shorter days. Glad they're ok.
lefroy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Wed 23 Aug, 2023 7:59 am

This is another one I'd like to know more about when it's over. Lodden Range is a long, hard daywalk even in summer, which is why most people/groups do it as an overnighter. It's not the sort of place where you want to be returning by torchlight. Especially with that river crossing at both ends.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby headwerkn » Wed 23 Aug, 2023 9:21 am

Yep, everyone I've spoken to who's done it didn't exactly recommend it. It's a fair effort even stopping at the lake for the night (which is probably the highlight of the trip).

Glad they're OK. Interesting to note that a winch rescue wasn't possible due to "terrain and weather". I'm curious to know how of much was due to the former? It's something we're becoming more aware of, walking through certain areas thinking "if I break a leg right here, a heli can't just pluck me up to safety".

Thinking seriously about what you and your group would have to do if someone suddenly were to become immobile tends to adjust your attitude towards risk rather sharply.
headwerkn

PreviousNext

Return to Tasmania