Eastern Access to WoJ

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Eastern Access to WoJ

Postby zacharycbruce » Tue 27 Dec, 2022 5:13 pm

Hi all,

Looking for some input from anyone that has used an eastern access route to Walls of Jerusalem.

I was thinking of going in from Lake Ada, via Lake Antimony/Bernes Valley; then up to Dixons for a night or two and wandering about the Walls, then back out via Zion Gate/Powena Creek/Lake Fanny.

Looking at distances/elevation it seems that either route up to the walls could be done in a day. My understanding is that there's plenty of good camping to be had along either route and so it could be worth splitting it up, i.e spending a night somewhere along Bernes Valley, then up to the Walls, then spend a night on the way out (Lake Fanny, probably?).

Thanks for any help

Zac
zacharycbruce
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Eastern Access to WoJ

Postby bauera » Wed 28 Dec, 2022 5:54 pm

I've used both those routes on separate trips. Bernes Valley is good, there is plenty of camping and navigation is easy on either. I found Powena Creek route rather scrubby. Personally I would prefer to return from the Walls via the ridge off Mt Jerusalem down to Lake Fanny where, again, camping is plentiful and excellent. Navigation on this route is easy if visibility is good and having a GPS or phone GPS is useful. Don't make the mistake I did by heading off Mt Jerusalem track too early. I found heaps of scrub higher up and should have gone a bit further up the track towards the summit before heading east. I agree that an overnight stop on each route will give you a more leisurely, comfortable walk and allow you to enjoy the area.
bauera
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby phATty » Wed 28 Dec, 2022 7:37 pm

With an early start you could indeed make it from Lake Ada to the Walls. I think it's better to stay somewhere in between though. Lots of camping around all of the lakes in the Bernes Valley.
phATty
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tasmanian University Bushwalking Club

Postby zacharycbruce » Thu 29 Dec, 2022 8:37 am

bauera wrote:Personally I would prefer to return from the Walls via the ridge off Mt Jerusalem down to Lake Fanny...

Thanks bauera,

Just on the above point, roughly where did you come down off that ridge? Looking at the topo it seems reasonably steepish to decend towards powenna creek most of the way along. To me the most likely spot looks like right down near the southern end of Lake Fanny?

I wouldn't mind making it to Hobart Walking Clubs high point on Great Pine Tier, going the way you've suggested might be a decent way to get there- off of Jerusalem, along the ridge to the high point and down off the ridge near the southern end of Lake Fanny.

I was up at WoJ this time last year and unfortunately when I did Mt Jerusalem it was clagged in, late and beginning to rain, so I didn't get much of a chance to take a look around.

Cheers,

Zac
zacharycbruce
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby zacharycbruce » Thu 29 Dec, 2022 8:43 am

phATty wrote:With an early start you could indeed make it from Lake Ada to the Walls. I think it's better to stay somewhere in between though. Lots of camping around all of the lakes in the Bernes Valley.

Thanks phATty,

If it was just me, I think I'd just push on. I often find satisfaction in covering distance.
In this case I'm planning to bring a mate along (from Vic) and haven't been walking with him before, so keeping a more lesuirly pace seems to make sense. With the added bonus it will extend our time together.

As always I'm planning the next trip (Howells bluff via Lake Ada/Ball/Adelaide perhaps?). Too many walks to do, too few days to do them!

Cheers,

Zac
zacharycbruce
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby bauera » Fri 30 Dec, 2022 12:28 pm

Well spotted, Zac. You do, indeed, head for the southern end of Lake Fanny. Lots of south in your south-easterly meander down the ridge. It's quite open and easy going. From memory I would leave the Mt Jerusalem track somewhere around the 1350m contour then head downhill towards the long lakes. There's a pretty obvious pad to be picked up around there and you basically avoid the green bits on the map to get to Lake Fanny. Lovely camping there.
bauera
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Sat 31 Dec, 2022 6:13 pm

From near Mt Jerusalem along the Great Pine Tier to Lake Fanny is, in many ways, better walking than the Powena Ck route. The northern part of Powena from Zion Gate is not too bad, just a lot of zig zagging, but once you get near Fanny it gets very scrubby. Staying on the GPT still gives you camping options, and you get a consistent view of Fanny itself so it''s easy to see where to drop down to the southern end of the lake.
Just be sure to cross Powena Ck fairly early after dropping down - the longer you leave it, the more awkward it can be. There's some good open country from that corner of Fanny, so it''s easy enough to find your way back to Talleh Lagoons.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby zacharycbruce » Tue 03 Jan, 2023 7:29 pm

Thanks Bauera and NNW, very helpful information. I may report back after the trip!

Zac
zacharycbruce
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Tasmania