Lots Wife

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Lots Wife

Postby Lostsoul » Sat 31 Dec, 2022 6:08 pm

Just came back from a couple of days climbing Sarah Jane and Mt Lot.Had some time to spare and decided to climb Lots Wife.Easy enough to find the track onto the ridge and sidle around the north side of Lots Wife.The route up to the summit took me up a chute where I climbed up a vertical wall about 6 metres high,had a few foot and hand holds but was fairly difficult especially on the way back down.My question is was this the normal approach or is there an easier way….just out of curiosity?
Lostsoul
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Lots Wife

Postby north-north-west » Sat 31 Dec, 2022 6:17 pm

How far back from the summit did you hit the top?

There is an optional, much harder climb than the 'official' one, and it sounds like you may have used that (yes, it is, of course, the one I went up the first time :roll: ). The pad that circles around the northern side of the tower drops down and continues around to an easier climb: still steep lower down but relatively straightforward.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Lostsoul » Sat 31 Dec, 2022 6:59 pm

north-north-west wrote:How far back from the summit did you hit the top?

There is an optional, much harder climb than the 'official' one, and it sounds like you may have used that (yes, it is, of course, the one I went up the first time :roll: ). The pad that circles around the northern side of the tower drops down and continues around to an easier climb: still steep lower down but relatively straightforward.

I ended up about 20 metres east of the summit when I popped out on top,it seemed like I’d sidled around far enough when I made my ascent but it was very steep the whole way up even without the rock wall I described
Lostsoul
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Sat 31 Dec, 2022 7:17 pm

Yeah, that sounds like the wrong one. It's climbable, but sketchy. The continuation of the pad isn't really obvious from the base of it, either.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lostsoul » Sat 31 Dec, 2022 7:28 pm

north-north-west wrote:Yeah, that sounds like the wrong one. It's climbable, but sketchy. The continuation of the pad isn't really obvious from the base of it, either.

Oh well,it got me up and down…just !
I noticed a very big land slip as I was going up in the forest just past Lake Picone
Lostsoul
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Sat 31 Dec, 2022 7:52 pm

Lostsoul wrote:I noticed a very big land slip as I was going up in the forest just past Lake Picone

Yeah, it's taken out part of the original pad onto the ridge. Hopefully enough people have been through there by now for a new route to be established, but it was 'interesting' when I went in just after the track reopened.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lostsoul » Sat 31 Dec, 2022 8:53 pm

north-north-west wrote:
Lostsoul wrote:I noticed a very big land slip as I was going up in the forest just past Lake Picone

Yeah, it's taken out part of the original pad onto the ridge. Hopefully enough people have been through there by now for a new route to be established, but it was 'interesting' when I went in just after the track reopened.

The new pad is very vague atm,it’s there but needs a keen eye.On another note,the Anne circuit was booked solid all week.Funny I ran into 2 other parties in 3 days and basically had lonely tarns to myself
Lostsoul
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Sun 01 Jan, 2023 5:50 am

Lostsoul wrote:
north-north-west wrote:

The new pad is very vague atm,it’s there but needs a keen eye.On another note,the Anne circuit was booked solid all week.Funny I ran into 2 other parties in 3 days and basically had lonely tarns to myself

People book and don't turn up for all sorts of reasons. Understandable, but is it really that hard to cancel the booking?
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lostsoul » Sun 01 Jan, 2023 6:42 am

I was told recently that some people book multiple different days in different names to get a good weather window…sneaky!
Lostsoul
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Sun 01 Jan, 2023 8:59 am

I just go and camp away from the official sites. It's not hard.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Tasmania