Tarkine

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Tarkine

Postby tastrekker » Sat 12 May, 2012 9:51 pm

tastrekker wrote:Here's the catch...

Of the 305,369 hectares in reserves, only 19,021 hectares is protected from mining.

Some of you may remember my 'lists posting' on page 1 of this topic. I just spotted the front page headline on today's Advocate. It would appear my prediction is coming true.
tastrekker
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby GerryDuke » Sat 12 May, 2012 11:10 pm

Thanks Frenchy. Nice to know.

You were spot on TT. A waste of money.

GD
GerryDuke
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Operator of www.TouringTasmania.info web site

Postby wombat4787 » Tue 29 May, 2012 2:11 pm

HI all,

after scanning this post and the WWW, it seems that the only access to multi-day walks in the Tarkine is via touring companies. Personally, I'm not keen on departing with ~$2,000 for a walk in the bush. I am considering two options, a coastal Tarkine wander and a rainforest wander. At this stage I have no preference for either, but I'd be looking for a 4-7 day hike. If I could do one, followed by the other, that would be great too.

Can anyone suggest some sites/books where I can find out information on self-guided walks in this area? Can anyone suggest itineraries from personal experience? All advice is appreciated. I have experience with off-track, but I'm by no means a Orienteering/Rogaine expert.

Thanks,

Peter
wombat4787
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby dplanet » Tue 29 May, 2012 5:46 pm

Are you with a car or not? If so, are you in a 2wd or 4wd? Let me know, then suggestions would be made.
dplanet
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby creeping_moses » Tue 29 May, 2012 7:18 pm

Hi there,

I am also very interested in knowing about some selfguided walks of 4-7 days in the Tarkine region. Coastal or forest, both would be awesome. Info seems to be hard to find.

Thanks in advance!
creeping_moses
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tastrekker » Tue 29 May, 2012 11:54 pm

Put "Tarkine Trails" and "Bob Brown" into the search box for this site. You will find a few references to a book written over 20 years ago. It has some good multi-day walk suggestions. Some have since been wiped out by the Western Explorer road. The extended walks in the book to places like Mt Bertha and Mt Meredith are hard core off-track trips. (The northern, western and southern edges of the Meredith Range granite belt are where Venture Minerals have just been granted their mining lease so it may soon become off-limits.)

If you are not into hard-core off-track the copious-plastic-tape-marked and commercially-walked 'Rainforest Track' is the best inland walk option. There is now a temporary bridge at Farquhars which helps with access over the Arthur River at that end. However, the bridge is there coutesy of Tasmania Magnesite so that may also be off-limits to walkers already.
tastrekker
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wombat4787 » Mon 04 Jun, 2012 9:43 am

dplanet wrote:Are you with a car or not? If so, are you in a 2wd or 4wd? Let me know, then suggestions would be made.

I hadn't planned that far ahead, but I'm sure we can rent a 4WD if that is required. I guess I was thinking of arranging transport through one of the bushwalking transport companies, so that would be a 2WD van option. That said, I'm not ruling out a self-drive 4WD option. Suggestions...?

Thanks,

Peter
wombat4787
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby gayet » Mon 04 Jun, 2012 1:13 pm

Easiest option is to drive to Corinna - 2wd should do it.
Stay there for a day or two as there are numerous short walks from there, and the option of hiring a kayak/canoe. Also quite good self contained accommodation and a restaurant that was good when I was there a few years ago. When ready, arrange a boat ride down to the mouth of the Pieman, with a pickup again on a date suitable, walk up the coast as far as you wish, then return to the mouth in time for the pick up.

You will need to carry all you require as there are no permanent campsites or facilities from the Pieman to the interview but its an easy day walk from the mouth of the Pieman to the Interview. After that I can't advise as I have only been that far north.
gayet

Region: Victoria

Postby photohiker » Mon 04 Jun, 2012 1:23 pm

tastrekker wrote:There is now a temporary bridge at Farquhars which helps with access over the Arthur River at that end. However, the bridge is there coutesy of Tasmania Magnesite so that may also be off-limits to walkers already.

The bridge is strongly gated at both ends with 1.6-1.8m steel gates, you can climb them though. It would be prudent to visit and do a bit of a reccy to see the current situation before committing to a walk in the area.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby FLICKIT » Mon 20 Feb, 2023 8:02 am

I thought they had given up on the magnetite on the southern side of Arthur River after the new Farquhars Bridge washed away, but they're back...

There's a drill rig and machinery inbetween Farquhars Rd and Keith River at the moment, they're carting everything across the river at the old 4x4 crossing down near where Keith River joins Arthur:
Tarkine Drilling1.jpg
FLICKIT
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Previous

Return to Tasmania