John Muir Trail

Discussion of Bushwalking, Hiking, Trekking, Tramping, Rambling and Camping elsewhere around the world.

John Muir Trail

Postby Arapiles » Thu 27 Jun, 2024 9:34 pm

I may be in the USA next year to do some walking - has anyone on here successfully booked a slot on the JMT?

The process appears to be rather complicated in that there's only certain windows when you can make bookings for a date that's 24 weeks after the booking window.
Last edited by Arapiles on Fri 28 Jun, 2024 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arapiles
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: John Muir Trail

Postby headwerkn » Fri 28 Jun, 2024 9:18 am

I've only briefly looked at it, as a "one day in the future bucket-list item", but by all accounts the process isn't completely impossible as a foreigner. Just involved and requires a lot of preplanning with plenty of flexibility built in. Will be interested to hear your experience if you go through with it.
headwerkn
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby JamesMc » Mon 08 Jul, 2024 6:15 pm

A friend of mine tried the lottery repeatedly and missed out every time. We've decided to do John Chapman's Grand Sierra Traverse instead. The entry point is "overland" which means just a pad rather than a constructed track, and hence eaiser to get a permit for. Kim Stanley Robinson's book describes the John Muir Trail as being the Interstate 5 of the Sierras. I think the SGT will probably be a better walk.

I've made detailed notes of the permit booking process (which I expect to be the most challenging part of the whole trip). PM me for details.
JamesMc
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby north-north-west » Tue 09 Jul, 2024 10:59 am

JamesMc:

Thanks for alerting me to KSR's book on the Sierra Nevada. I've read a fair bit of his SF, and this looks to be equally interesting.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Return to International