Desktop version
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.

Forum rules

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.
Post a reply

Walk-in campsites for stargazing

Fri 07 Oct, 2022 11:43 am

Hey all,

Looking for advice on any walk-in spots for stargazing within overnight reach of Sydney (up to say 5hrs drive away). Specifically wondering if there are any good walk-in spots in the cluster of NPs north of the Barringtons (Nowendoc NP, Mummel Gulf, Barakee, Woko, Curracabundi, Cottan-Bimbang, etc), which are all in great dark-sky territory, but figure can leave this discussion open to anywhere really.

I've had some success stargazing in Capertee area, but it's still not quite far enough away from Sydney/Lithgow for perfect dark skies.

Great site for assessing dark sky spots - https://www.lightpollutionmap.info/

Thanks !

Re: Walk-in campsites for stargazing

Mon 07 Nov, 2022 5:57 am

Hey there
What about Warrumbungles? A little further but home of the Siding Springs Observatory

Mon 07 Nov, 2022 6:56 pm

Not quite the answer you’re looking for, but ….. nothing beats Central Australia for stargazing. I think Alice Springs even still has a remnant Astronomical Society, at least that’s what they used to be called.

Thu 10 Nov, 2022 7:36 pm

Namadgi National Park about 1.5 hrs drive south of Canberra is very clear and elevated. I camped with the kids at Westerman's Homestead (only about 2.5km walk from the car park on Boboyan Rd) a couple of years ago. The stars were amazing and it's fun to camp by the old hut for convenience.

Tue 15 Nov, 2022 12:46 pm

Thanks for the thoughtful responses. Some great options.
I do love the Warrumbungles, a little further to travel but a wonderful, special place.

Hoping somebody who is familiar with those NPs around the hunter/mid-north I listed above may come across this thread too. Cottan-Bimbang and Woko in particular look intriguing, both for their lack of light pollution and for walking therein
Post a reply