?? Bridle track condition Govett's Leap/Rodriguez Pass

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Postby eddie the eagle » Mon 25 Oct, 2010 6:32 pm

HI All,

I have a silver Duke of Ed group, one of whose parents asked a friend about the steps/stairways/paths under Govett's leap. Their friend said: "no, they're way too steep, don't let your child go."

Frantically backpeddling and looking to keep the peace, has anyone been down the old bridle trail leading to Junction Rock, MGRS 56H KH, Katoomba 1:25000 map I'd imagine as the path isn't maintained, it'd be a riskier proposition (and no, I haven't been down it either.)

I'm making a decision one way or the other tomorrow morning, so any advice you could give would be welcome.

[and the best line that I've used on the kids is "that, in this day and litigious age, would the NPWS even open a track if it was risky ?" Asking about the bridle track as a fallback if the kids look at the way down to Acacia Flat and listen to the inner voice that mother's friend has fired up]

Cheers,

eddie
eddie the eagle
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Bluegum Mic » Mon 25 Oct, 2010 6:47 pm

The only time I've walked down govettes leap was when I was 8 on a 36 degree day (I'm now 32 ;-). Whilst I obviously can't comment on it current state I can tell you me and my family did not find it at all scary or unsafe at the time.

The last time I was walking in the area it was closed for maintenance however that was a few years back hence why I could not walk it.

I guess you could always walk down from perrys lookdown/pulpit.
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: ?? Bridle track condition Govett's Leap/Rodriguez Pass

Postby HitchHiking » Mon 25 Oct, 2010 7:06 pm

SOrry havent been the old track but I was just up Govetts leap last weekend and it was a bit muddy as there was rain but even then I still considered it a touirst walk. Anything with exposure has rails etc. Hope that helps a bit. The Kids will enjoy it no doubt. The blue gum was looking extra good in the moring fog and mist :)
Evan- Terra Rosa Gear, Handcrafted adventure equipment from Melbourne.
HitchHiking
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.TerraRosaGear.com
Region: Victoria

Postby Samma3l » Mon 25 Oct, 2010 9:24 pm

Did the walk 2 weekends ago. It's all open and walkable to Acacia flat. Evan's track is closed and there are a few notices about that along the way. If it's wet, expect it to be slippery. The red crays are no good to eat though, so it's no good trying to catch any. Past Acacia flat, there are one or two trees over the path, but they aren't too hard to negotiate
Samma3l
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby eddie the eagle » Tue 26 Oct, 2010 6:12 am

Thanks All,

Cheers,

eddie
eddie the eagle
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby johnw » Tue 26 Oct, 2010 12:05 pm

Numerous times I've walked the Bridle Track (aka "The Horse Track" - not to be confused with the track of the same name at Cradle Mountain) but not for 2 or 3 years. It could be a bit more overgrown now. IMHO the easiest gradient of all the access tracks into the valley. Comparable with Pierces Pass in terms of difficulty but maybe a bit more overgrown; occasional tree fall to negotiate. Watch out for snakes in the grassy parts.

Problem is it's not an official track, as such. Fairly recently, after the Grand Canyon re-opened I rang Chris at the NPWS visitor centre asking if the Bridle track was accessible, as Rodriguez Pass was still noted as closed upstream of Junction Rock (still is). Answer was it's OK to use as long as you know where it is/what you're doing. Best check with them if taking a DoE group in but I'd be surprised if they said no.

Otherwise, like other posters, I don't see a problem with going down Govetts, it's on NPWS list of suggested walks. A bit airy in places, but protected, and can get muddy above the waterfall. Below that it's comparable with Rodriguez Pass below Beauchamp Falls (before it was closed).
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby mountnman » Tue 26 Oct, 2010 6:12 pm

A few weeks ago I took my 11 year old stepson down from Govetts Leap Lookout to the bottom of the falls return with no problems at all. And at easter we went down perry's lookdown to acacia flat and camped and came up the next day no probs.
Research has shown that men usually sleep on the right side of the bed.
Even in our sleep we happen to be right....
mountnman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby iandsmith » Wed 27 Oct, 2010 4:27 pm

Just an update on the area. While you can go down the face of the cliff as others have suggested, the Beauchamp Falls track is closed though the Grand Canyon is open and the new bits are really good.
Cheers all.
iandsmith
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby eddie the eagle » Sun 31 Oct, 2010 6:48 am

Thanks, John, Ian and Mountnman,

The info provided was enough to convince the kids it wasn't inherently dangerous, so they kept on with their planning. I spend a lot of time talking this group into 'feeding the positive thoughts only while listening to the negative ones in case they've got something meaningful in all their whinging.' For bush kids, a day in the Blue Mountains is a simple exercise, but for insulated/insular city kids, a walk into the Grose Valley is different. They view it in the same way as we would if we were asked to plan an expedition to the South Pole dragging everything on sleds a'la Mawson, with the same amount of fear and trepidation, as well as excitement and anticipation.

Case in point: one of the highlights of the last trip was a step across 2 feet of "chasm" on an ocean rock ledge with a total drop of 3 feet if they slipped, with the ocean swell/whitewater washing up about 6-10 feet away (the big waves) just to make it interesting. Perfectly safe, although a risk of slipping and minor injury. For my kids, this was a real challenge as it was miles outside their comfort zone and they all felt they achieved something.

The walk down and back up Govetts will be an extended version of this - be interesting to see how they go.

I've pocketed the Bridle track as the alternative way in if someone develops a massive fear of heights - no sense or reason in forcing someone to do something they're incredibly uncomfortable with. I spent every weekend for five years in the Brindabella Ranges - two or three 5-700m climbs and descents up the mountains, so finding the Bridle Track with a topo won't be hard if they need to - I'll just be asking the pointed questions to guide them if they're unsure.

I'm looking forward to doing it again, (been 10 years or so since I last walked down into the Grose Valley, shame Rodriguez Pass is inaccessable, would have been a 'more challenging' walk out for them to up the ante a little.)

Cheers,

eddie
eddie the eagle
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Pea Pod » Tue 04 Jan, 2011 9:50 am

Make sure you keep an eye of the river levels in the area, because they can rise very quickly. Of course, this leads to great photo opportunities, and massive waterfalls: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KgI6JbP2Q4
Pea Pod
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby flatfoot » Tue 04 Jan, 2011 12:03 pm

Pea Pod wrote:Make sure you keep an eye of the river levels in the area, because they can rise very quickly. Of course, this leads to great photo opportunities, and massive waterfalls: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KgI6JbP2Q4

Great footage! What date was that footage taken?
Flat-footed Mainlander
flatfoot
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Pea Pod » Wed 05 Jan, 2011 8:09 am

flatfoot wrote:
Pea Pod wrote:Make sure you keep an eye of the river levels in the area, because they can rise very quickly. Of course, this leads to great photo opportunities, and massive waterfalls: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KgI6JbP2Q4

Great footage! What date was that footage taken?

1-Dec-10, following intense rain on-top of prolonged rain & drizzle.
Pea Pod
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to New South Wales & ACT