Grand Canyon Reopened

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Grand Canyon Reopened

Postby flatfoot » Sat 17 Jul, 2010 8:52 pm

A perfect day started with a great coffee at Blackheath and then a walk down into the recently reopened Grand Canyon:

http://www.bluemountainsgazette.com.au/news/local/news/general/grand-canyon-track-work-pays-off/1884844.aspx
(includes a photo of an upgraded section)

This was a club walk and the leader changed plans when there was news that this track had been reopened. Everyone was keen to see the result of the upgrade work. The stone work is impressive and worth a look see. There are also large timber staircases and some new bridges. It certainly makes this popular tourist track a little safer. It was the first time I had used this track even though I once lived in the mountains for several years. I would have liked to have seen this canyon before the track was upgraded.

We ventured a little off the main track into a more natural part of the canyon network. I enjoyed climbing over the boulders and debris to get to this spot:

P1000573.jpg

I'm even more keen to visit other canyons now.
Flat-footed Mainlander
flatfoot
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Re: Grand Canyon Reopened

Postby johnw » Mon 19 Jul, 2010 1:30 am

flatfoot wrote:I would have liked to have seen this canyon before the track was upgraded.

Yep, iconic day walk. Done it many times before the upgrade, last time just before Christmas when it was a bit of a mess during the initial construction work. I'll try and post some earlier photos when time permits. I'm keen to see the changes when I get a chance.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby iandsmith » Mon 26 Jul, 2010 11:25 am

Great to hear it's re-opened. I did the walk down the face of the cliff last time in lieu of it.
Will have to drop in there in September.
iandsmith
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby iandsmith » Mon 25 Oct, 2010 12:52 pm

This is an email I sent; thought you guys might be interested
THE CANYON IS GRAND
I hit the trail well before 7 a.m. The wind was brisk and the red sunrise foretold of a day that was not going to be totally benign. A quick glance at the view across Grose Valley from Evans Lookout into the mist tinged floor and I began the descent, initially on the old stone stairs and then on the new, solid, almost shiny, rock stepping stones whose absence had caused the trail to be closed for months.
I moved through the wildflowers, predominantly yellow, purple and white, and the matchstick straight eucalypts and coachwood that were such a contrast to their bent and gaunt counterparts atop the wind ravaged plateau. Water was trickling through the small gully beside the track, gurgling with delight that the remnants of yesterday’s violent storm had given it life. The greater the number of steps the more the chasm narrowed; ferns became a dominant vegetation in this world where light has but a fleeting presence.
After half an hour I came to the intersection where you can go straight ahead to Beauchamp Falls or right to the Grand Canyon and Neates Glen. The former option was closed so it wasn’t really an option at all.
It’s also where two streams meet. Stepping across the stony creek bed I picked up the track again and pushed on into the surreal world of the Blue Mountains canyons.
I push on until I come to the turn off to the left indicating the Grand Canyon walk but ahead of me there’s another. I decide to take it.
Veils of droplets descend in delicate crystal showers from fern roots desperately clinging to niches in the sheer sandstone walls. The blipping sound of the water into the pools beneath is interspersed by the gleeful croaks of frogs happy to see the water once again returning more regularly to the ponds they call home. Lichen clings to other sites and fungi occasionally makes an appearance on some long ago fallen tree.
A massive log jam on one side is a reminder of what force nature can unleash when unrestrained yet the soft moss carpeting the rocks seems to belie any such maelstrom. Here and there the brightness of the sky penetrates this eerie world, lighting walls that man has ne’r touched and dancing on the ripples below the numerous cascades.
Amazingly, probably only 1-2 kilometres away, as per the flying crow, Katoomba Airport is located yet down here it might as well be on another planet. The only flying thing you can hear is the occasional bird call bouncing around the sandstone walls.
Too soon my time is up and I turn around and head back, retracing my steps all the way to the motorhome with one or two stops on the way out. It’s not until I’m almost at the carpark again that the first of the weekend bushwalkers put in an appearance. I’m grateful to have had the 2 ½ hours down there to myself and vow to repeat the dose some time in the future.
Attachments
Blue Mountains - Grand Canyon 041.jpg
Side canyon
Blue Mountains - Grand Canyon 020.jpg
Loved this little waterfall
Blue Mountains - Grand Canyon 019 sp.jpg
Pretty colours of the spring ferns
Blue Mountains - Grand Canyon 019 sp.jpg (94.58 KiB) Viewed 10278 times
Blue Mountains - Grand Canyon 016 sp.jpg
Artistic fern
Blue Mountains - Grand Canyon 051.jpg
The dripping ferns
Blue Mountains - Grand Canyon 051.jpg (85.2 KiB) Viewed 10278 times
iandsmith
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby HitchHiking » Mon 25 Oct, 2010 7:08 pm

Nice to see it up and open again, looking forward to walking it again! great pics as well eh
Evan- Terra Rosa Gear, Handcrafted adventure equipment from Melbourne.
HitchHiking
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.TerraRosaGear.com
Region: Victoria

Postby Leppy » Fri 29 Oct, 2010 9:59 pm

I'm yet to walk the Grand Canyon. The walk info that i have shows the walk to be above the canyon and yet many of the best photos seem to be in the canyon? I guess my question is - is it a walk that gets you to the polaces shown in the photos above or is canyoning the activity that gets you to these places?
Leppy
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby kjbeath » Sat 30 Oct, 2010 10:58 am

Narrow section of gorge, as in first two photos may require abseiling, but possibly can be entered from the wider section of canyon. Track follows wider section of the canyon, as in attached photo.
grand canyon 2.jpg
kjbeath
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby iandsmith » Sun 31 Oct, 2010 2:49 pm

Gosh, I've done it three times and I didn't know there was a walk above the canyon and didn't know you could abseil into another part. All my shots were taken on the marked trail and it goes into the canyon. Start at Evans Lookout.
A good excuse to add some more pics!
Cheers, Ian
Attachments
Blue Mountains - Grand Canyon 055.jpg
Where the trail starts to get into the canyon
Blue Mountains - Grand Canyon 055.jpg (122.95 KiB) Viewed 10161 times
Blue Mountains - Grand Canyon 033.jpg
Further along it narrows
Blue Mountains - Grand Canyon 033.jpg (103.26 KiB) Viewed 10161 times
Blue Mountains - Grand Canyon 047.jpg
Further along
iandsmith
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby kjbeath » Sun 31 Oct, 2010 7:02 pm

The section of the walk that appears to be above the canyon is part way down the canyon, when the track first enters the canyon. Somewhere along this section is where the canyoners enter. The track then descends further to the bottom of the canyon, and it also opens out.
kjbeath
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby johnw » Mon 01 Nov, 2010 12:26 pm

leppy wrote: I'm yet to walk the Grand Canyon. The walk info that i have shows the walk to be above the canyon and yet many of the best photos seem to be in the canyon? I guess my question is - is it a walk that gets you to the polaces shown in the photos above or is canyoning the activity that gets you to these places?

iandsmith wrote: Gosh, I've done it three times and I didn't know there was a walk above the canyon and didn't know you could abseil into another part. All my shots were taken on the marked trail and it goes into the canyon. Start at Evans Lookout.

Nice photos all, I'll try find a couple worth adding. This one of my all-time favourite Blue Mtns short walks, although I haven't yet had an opportunity to look at the completed upgrade (I did see it in progress). There are two main access methods:

1. The "tourist track" (ie the walking track) which effectively allows a circuit from Evans Lookout via Neates Glen. You can also do it in reverse for a different perspective. From Evans Lookout the track takes you down to the canyon floor then eventually rises above it, but your'e right next to the canyon the whole way. To complete the circuit from Neates Glen you follow a track near the road back to Evans Lookout.

2. In the higher reaches you pass a rather obvious abseil entry point with large stainless bolts/chains in the rock. This is the usual starting point for canyoners as far as I'm aware (haven't done any canyoning myself), although I think there are other canyon branches that feed in. They descend downstream and eventually meet the walking track at the bottom. I've walked/waded part way up into the canyon from the bottom, for a short distance, which is worth a look. The time I did this we sat down for lunch and watched several canyoning parties finish the last swim out.

If doing the full circuit there is quite a variety of vegetation types in such a compact area. Lyrebirds, eastern water dragons and yabbies are often a feature along the way.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tom_brennan » Mon 01 Nov, 2010 3:25 pm

The "standard" canyon route just consists of one 17m abseil from the obvious bolts and chains. The canyon itself can then be waded and scrambled through for about 500m to a chilly 30m swim. There are some other swims, but they can be avoided if you know where to go.
http://ozultimate.com/canyoning/track_notes/grand.htm

It is quite easy to walk up from the bottom of the canyon to the swim, and if you're prepared to brave the swim, you can walk/scramble/wade/swim the rest of the way up through the canyon to the abseil point. It's well worthwhile in summer, though I suggest taking dry warm clothes in a couple of garbage bags in your pack.

cheers
Bushwalking NSW - http://bushwalkingnsw.com
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Pea Pod » Tue 04 Jan, 2011 9:48 am

Keep in mind that this area is prone to flash-flooding. See this video for the recent state of waterfalls around Blackheath--spectacular, video is linked in this post.
Pea Pod
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby tom_brennan » Tue 04 Jan, 2011 8:01 pm

Grand Canyon is less prone to flash flooding than most creeks/rivers in the area. Its drainage system has two dams in its catchment, one only a kilometre upstream from where the walking track starts. After all the recent rains the dams may now be full. But in normal conditions, it's actually one of the safer canyons in heavy rain. (Not saying it's safe!! Just safer!)
Bushwalking NSW - http://bushwalkingnsw.com
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby pancake » Mon 10 Jan, 2011 6:55 pm

Had to check out the canyon for the first time after being re-opened. As spectacular as ever
I don't want to add too many pictures here because we have a gallery and because it's something all readers should check out themselves.

I think I read on one of the signboards (Neats G. carpark?) that it was discovered in ~1906 and a track was up by 1907 (?). Would have been unreal to be the first one to stumble through..

pancake
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to New South Wales & ACT