Water quality Wilkinsons Creek, Snowy Mountains

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Postby Jellybean » Sun 09 Jan, 2011 7:27 pm

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has been in this area lately and can comment on the water quality, especially around Wilkinson's Creek? (I will probably take my Steripen anyway - better to be safe than sorry my Dad always said - but wanted to get a recent report anyway). Also, how are the flys?

Thanks!!

Cheers,

JB
Jellybean
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: Water quality Wilkinsons Creek, Snowy Mountains

Postby Tony » Sun 09 Jan, 2011 7:50 pm

Hi jellybean,

Jellybean wrote:Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has been in this area lately and can comment on the water quality, especially around Wilkinson's Creek? (I will probably take my Steripen anyway - better to be safe than sorry my Dad always said - but wanted to get a recent report anyway). Also, how are the flys?

Thanks!!

Cheers,

JB

I drank untreated water out of Wilkinson's Creek and others in the area yesterday, Friday and today as I have done before and I have never been sick from it.

Tony
There is no such thing as bad weather.....only bad clothing. Norwegian Proverb
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Jellybean » Mon 10 Jan, 2011 7:59 am

Great, thanks Tony, I am hanging out to get down there!!

Cheers,

JB
Jellybean
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Jellybean » Tue 18 Jan, 2011 12:31 pm

We've just returned from a 4 day trip down to the Snowies and I can confirm that the water at Wilkinson’s Creek and surrounding areas is A ok.

I’ll answer my own question about the flies – they were @#%&*$# terrible!

Well, on the first full day of our trip they weren’t too bad (warm and still), but on the second day (warm with a slightly increasing breeze) they were awful!!! They started their attack on the second day as we made the initial descent down along the ridgeline to The Sentinel just before 9am. Just at the point where watching foot placements amongst the loose rock - and not swatting flies - is of paramount importance, a squadron of March flies flew in formation around my legs and arms, nipping at every opportunity. Fortunately by the time we reached the rock climbing section at the final approach to the summit of The Sentinel the little blighters had all but disappeared (afraid of heights?) and left me in peace to climb the most challenging section. They reappeared, however, as we had lunch on Mt Twynam later in the day and again back at Wilkinson’s Creek later that afternoon. Then, if you put anything down for even a nanosecond, it immediately attained a fly coating and the darn March flies nipped away to their heart’s content. Clothing was no barrier and even the insect repellent seemed unable to ward off their attacks. Fortunately for the walk out yesterday, a change in the weather (cooler accompanied by a strong breeze) seemed to preoccupy them elsewhere.

Having had my whinge about the flies, I must say that we were indeed blessed with some magical weather up on the Main Range after a bit of a false start. We attempted to walk in to Wilkinson’s Creek on Friday afternoon but were forced to retreat back to Thredbo after the driving rain and strong wind gusts showed no sign off letting up and threatened to blow us off the walkway out to Kosi (we later discovered the winds were gusting up to 50 – 75km/hr). After that false start, we were then rewarded with magnificent blue skies and sunshine on Saturday and Sunday before the cloud returned and the wind picked up again for our return to civilisation yesterday (still very nice walking weather). I’ll post a trip report and some photos as soon as I get a chance (it’s probably about time I posted one!?) as well as a review of some new gear I tried out on the trip (Tarptent Sub-lite Sil 2010and Inov8 Ladies Roclite 268 shoes). All in all a great trip, despite the flies!
Jellybean
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wildwalks » Tue 18 Jan, 2011 12:41 pm

Hum Tarptent with insect screen, like it - I managed to pitch my fly tent flush with the ground and traded the fresh air instead of having flys the tent. It was after that trip I got one of those very daggy toursit hats with the pull down fly mesh for whilst walking. But since you one pull it down when needed, very few people laugh at me (well aleast very few people laugh at me becuase of the hat :)
Glad you had a good walk
Matt :)
wildwalks
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Wildwalks, Bushwalk.com & NPA NSW
Region: New South Wales

Postby Tony » Tue 18 Jan, 2011 2:21 pm

Hi Jellybean,

Jellybean wrote:We've just returned from a 4 day trip down to the Snowies and I can confirm that the water at Wilkinson’s Creek and surrounding areas is A ok.

I’ll answer my own question about the flies – they were @#%&*$# terrible!

I was up there a week ago, we did the highest 10 and we barely saw a fly, spent the first night near Rams Head, winds where brisk, I used my Zpacks Hexamid tent for the first time, very impressed.

Still not sick from the water, but I am careful about where I get my water and my personal hygiene. The second night we where camped at the Snowy River near Charlotte's Pass the mozzies where terrible.

Tony

P1080057.jpg
P1080057.jpg (66.33 KiB) Viewed 7596 times

Watching the sunrise near Rams Head 2150m
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Bluegum Mic » Tue 18 Jan, 2011 6:37 pm

I'm about to do a very similar walk at the start of April. Note to self take hat net! Very excited though. Can't wait.
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Jellybean » Wed 19 Jan, 2011 6:46 am

wildwalks wrote:Hum Tarptent with insect screen, like it - I managed to pitch my fly tent flush with the ground and traded the fresh air instead of having flys the tent. It was after that trip I got one of those very daggy toursit hats with the pull down fly mesh for whilst walking. But since you one pull it down when needed, very few people laugh at me (well aleast very few people laugh at me becuase of the hat :)
Glad you had a good walk
Matt :)

Hi Matt,

There were def no problems with insects in the tent, just outside! (and the ventilation in the tent meant you had the best of both worlds - insect free and plenty of fresh air! Curiously the flies didn't fly around my head at all, just nipped continuously at my arms, back and ankles.

Cheers,

JB
Jellybean
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Jellybean » Wed 19 Jan, 2011 6:52 am

Tony wrote:I was up there a week ago, we did the highest 10 and we barely saw a fly, spent the first night near Rams Head, winds where brisk, I used my Zpacks Hexamid tent for the first time, very impressed.

Still not sick from the water, but I am careful about where I get my water and my personal hygiene. The second night we where camped at the Snowy River near Charlotte's Pass the mozzies where terrible.

Tony

Hi Tony,

Gorgeous pic! Looking forward to hearing more about the performance of the Hexamid over time, especially in feral weather!

Yes, agree that avoiding sickness has a lot to do with where you get the water from and your own personal hygiene - careful with both.

The flies seem to be very variable - as I mentioned they were much worse the second day than the first. We heard and saw some monster mozzies at Wilkinsons Creek. However, my walking partner brought along some small citronella-like patches (20 cent coin size, last 180 hours from Kathmandu) that we opened and put outside our tents, they may have helped.

I love your "neck of the woods"! Would love to walk down there more often, it's just a bit of a trek from Sydney, not something I can do as regularly as I would like to.

Cheers,

JB
Jellybean
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Jellybean » Wed 19 Jan, 2011 7:01 am

Bluegum Mic wrote:I'm about to do a very similar walk at the start of April. Note to self take hat net! Very excited though. Can't wait.

Hi Mic,

I'm sure you'll love it! There's something about the Snowies that I just can't get enough of!

You might find too, that by April (cooler temperatures) that the flies won't be a problem. There may be mozzies though. (Tony can probably better answer that). I usually take a small pump pack of insect repellent (I buy one of the small travel spray bottles and pour in enough insect repellent for the trip).

Enjoy!

Cheers,

JB
Jellybean
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Bluegum Mic » Wed 19 Jan, 2011 7:18 am

Thanks JB. I always carry some repellent.
Yes I'm hoping the flies will be a little better by then but mind you they won't bother me too much either way. I love the snowies and can't wait to get down there. This is my first few days away alone since having bubs. He's now 22 months old eeek! Well earned break but then again I'll miss him.
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Tony » Wed 19 Jan, 2011 7:40 pm

Hi JB,

Jellybean wrote:
Gorgeous pic! Looking forward to hearing more about the performance of the Hexamid over time, especially in feral weather!

I love the photo too, it is a good reminder of a beautiful place to camp. I will do updates on the Hexamid.

Yes, agree that avoiding sickness has a lot to do with where you get the water from and your own personal hygiene - careful with both.

I think it is too easy to blame poor hygene on the water.

The flies seem to be very variable - as I mentioned they were much worse the second day than the first. We heard and saw some monster mozzies at Wilkinsons Creek. However, my walking partner brought along some small citronella-like patches (20 cent coin size, last 180 hours from Kathmandu) that we opened and put outside our tents, they may have helped.

I have certainly experienced the flies at KNP.

I love your "neck of the woods"! Would love to walk down there more often, it's just a bit of a trek from Sydney, not something I can do as regularly as I would like to.

It is a beautiful part of Australia, I do most of my walking in the Northern part around Jugaungal Wilderness and Bimberi Wilderness.

Tony
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT