Tops to Myall walk

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Tops to Myall walk

Postby Vern » Sun 27 Mar, 2011 1:19 pm

Has anyone done the Tops to Myall walk? I found it on the NSW National Parks website and am interested in doing it. I assumed because it's on their website that it was a current track but after reading John Chapman's write up on it that he thinks that it is overgrown and may eventually disappear. I wouldn't mind doing this walk but would like to hear from anyone who knows about it.
Vern
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Tops to Myall walk

Postby wildwalks » Mon 28 Mar, 2011 9:37 am

Vern wrote:Has anyone done the Tops to Myall walk? I found it on the NSW National Parks website and am interested in doing it. I assumed because it's on their website that it was a current track but after reading John Chapman's write up on it that he thinks that it is overgrown and may eventually disappear. I wouldn't mind doing this walk but would like to hear from anyone who knows about it.

I have not walked it, I saw a few signposted section for it a few years ago. There is a small book, evidently I need to tidy up my office, as I can't find the book now. Be worth giving the rangers a call and seeing what they say.
Matt :)
wildwalks
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Wildwalks, Bushwalk.com & NPA NSW
Region: New South Wales

Postby kjbeath » Mon 04 Apr, 2011 7:06 pm

Since the death of Hans Pacy who was the developer of the walk it has been less promoted. At one time there was an organised walk each year with vehicle support.

I've walked sections of it. The section through Barrington Tops and Gloucester Tops is good, although the presence of Scotch broom spoils the scenery and it has been rerouted away from the Big Hole due to Cinnamon Fungus. I have the impression that the sections after this consist of long sections of walking on 4wd tracks. The final sections through the Myall Lakes area are nice but not a wilderness experience. Another problem is that the starting and finishing points are difficult to access without private transport.

I think there are much better options for somewhere to visit.
kjbeath
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Vern » Sat 23 Apr, 2011 2:51 pm

Thanks for that...looks like I might have to try a different walk.
Vern
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby kjbeath » Wed 27 Apr, 2011 10:04 pm

There are some other options for longer walks. It should be possible to put something together based on the Kanangra area, and Robert Sloss has transport. Some of the lower parts of the Alpine walking would be excellent in spring and autumn. Walking a section of the Bicentennial Horse trail might also be worthwhile. There are some excellent walks in Queensland for winter.
kjbeath
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Vern » Thu 28 Apr, 2011 11:33 am

Yeah, the Kanangra area is pretty good. Only been there once for a canyoning trip but would like to go back for a long walk. I've only been to the snowys for winter and agree with you. A spring walk is definately on the cards.
Vern
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT