Easter Hike - any ideas

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Easter Hike - any ideas

Postby roguetrooper » Tue 22 Mar, 2011 8:57 pm

Looking to do a 4 night/5 day hike over Easter 2011 and was wondering if anybody had any ideas. We are on the central coast NSW so preferably within 2.5 hours drive from there. Have recently done the Corker Trail and Barrington loop for 4 days so would prefer somewhere else (or other good multi-day walk in Barrington area).

Rogue
roguetrooper
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: NSW Rogaining Assoc.
Region: New South Wales

Re: Easter Hike - any ideas

Postby Greenie » Wed 23 Mar, 2011 5:15 pm

I know it's a bit a of cheats way, but when looking for walks I quite often goto http://www.wildwalks.com.au. There are a number of multi-day walks on there.
None for a Barrington Tops however. (Hint Hint Matt!)

Have you done any of the Great North Walk? You could string a few days together from there.

We are lucky to have some great walks on and also so close to us on the Central Coast
Greenie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wildwalks » Mon 28 Mar, 2011 9:29 am

Greenie wrote:None for a Barrington Tops however. (Hint Hint Matt!)

Hi Greenie
Hint take :)
It is on my to do list, in fact I am busting to get up there again and add it to Wildwalks. It won't be happening before winter.
We are currently adding walks around Newcastle. But I will need to do some re-walking soon to update older notes, so not sure when I will get up there. It is a great area though.
Matt :)
wildwalks
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Wildwalks, Bushwalk.com & NPA NSW

Postby roguetrooper » Fri 08 Apr, 2011 6:56 am

Have decided on the following. Anyone got any tips for this area as I have no been before would be great. It would also be great if anybody could email me an image of the map segment which shows the joining track between Uni Rover Track and Mt Armour Fire Trail. I have topo's Yeranderie and Kanangra. Just a shame to buy another for what I think is 5-6 grid squares.

FRIDAY DAY 1 - START - 15KM
BOYD RIVER CAMPING AREA - Park Car
KANAGARA WALLS ROADTHEN UNI ROVER TRACK
NIGHT AT HOBNAIL HILL (water at Kowmung River) OR JUNCTION WITH KOWMUNG RIVER

SATURDAY DAY 2 - 15KM
UNI ROVER TRAIL THEN MOUNT ARMOUR FIRE TRAIL
NIGHT AT TONALLI GAP (water at Colong Swamp)

SUNDAY DAY 3 - 20KM
TONALLI GAP FIRE TRAIL THEN SCOTTS MAIN RIDGE TRAIL THEN BULGA RIDGE THEN KOWMUNG RIVER/CHRYSTIS CREEK JUNCTION
NIGHT KOWMUNG RIVER/CHRYSTIS CREEK JUNCTION (water Kowmung River)

MONDAY DAY 4 - 20KM
BULLHEAD RIDGE THEN GINGRA TRACK THEN KILPATRICK CAUSEWAY TRACK THEN KANAGARA WALLS ROAD
NIGHT AT BOYD RIVER CAMPING AREA
roguetrooper
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby kanangra » Fri 08 Apr, 2011 8:10 am

You have chosen an excellent trip there. On your first night I would recommend camping on the river. On your 2nd night unless there has been very recent rain you will not get good water from the Colong Swamp. re Day 3 you will need to exercise care to locate and then follow the track out over Bulga Cone. the start is marked by a small cairn. But the track is very easy to lose. It is not an easy route coming from Scotts MR. If you make it tell us if the abandoned campsite at the Christy's junction is still there. You may also want to explore the old addit above the Pippen's ck junction. If you look out you will see it as you walk up river towards Christy's junction.

Good luck.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Sun 10 Apr, 2011 7:16 pm

Sounds like a lovely walk. I'm looking at doing a mainly off track loop from Dead Horse Gap (the Gap proper, not the carpark) along the ridge, then via the Charcoal Range to Stockwhip, on to Tin Mine Creek and explore the falls and the lower part of Dales Creek. Should be fun, if the weather co-operates).
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby tom_brennan » Sun 10 Apr, 2011 11:21 pm

Have a look at the topos online at http://lite.maps.nsw.gov.au/ (basic version) or http://imagery.maps.nsw.gov.au/ (advanced version, requires plugin).

You can then decide whether you need to buy the additional one.
Bushwalking NSW - http://bushwalkingnsw.com
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby roguetrooper » Mon 11 Apr, 2011 8:45 pm

Thanks Kanangra. The advice abou Colong Swamp and Bulga Cone is much appreciated and we will definitely try to find the abandond campsite. I'll make sure I take compass bearing when we leave Scotts MR.

NNW - first time in this country so thought we would stick to the tracks to get a feel for the layout. Had thought about cutting across from Green Wattle Gap - Broken Rock Range - Butchers Creek and up on to Scotts MR but was not sure how accesible this area was so erred on the side of caution. Do you know this area? Wasn't able to find the locations you mentioned on the topos I have. Can you give me some coordinates.

Tom - thanks for the link. Will take a look. Sounds like a great resource.
roguetrooper
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby roguetrooper » Thu 14 Apr, 2011 8:05 pm

Have been studying the maps some more and noticed that the Bullhead Ridge track leading north from Kowmung River crosses a cliff line at Cambage Spire. Has anybody walked this track and if so is the route up the cliff OK without climbing gear? I am not experienced with climbing rigs.
roguetrooper
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby tom_brennan » Thu 14 Apr, 2011 10:13 pm

There's some notes on Cambage Spire at
http://ozultimate.com/bushwalking/walk.php?nid=719
and some photos
http://ozultimate.com/tom/bushwalking/2 ... photos.htm
of the descent via the gully to the east.

Apparently the west side is easier. Either way it is a scramble, not a climb.
Bushwalking NSW - http://bushwalkingnsw.com
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby kanangra » Sat 16 Apr, 2011 10:02 am

You'll have no probs getting up there at all. No rock climbing gear required just a little scrambling in one or two spots. Nothing to out.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby roguetrooper » Thu 28 Apr, 2011 10:25 pm

Post trip report and I am afraid to say we did not cover the ground we intended too. We were late getting there Easter Friday morning due to heavy traffic through Blue Mountains. The road works are shocking - it took us 2 hours to just get from Blackheath to Penrith on the way home.

That said we left Billy's Creek Camping Ground and got as far as Mount Logan on Uni Rover Track before light started to fade. Pitched tent in a depression and had a pleasant evening. It was a good decsion as the decent to Kowmung River from 1km past Mount Logan drops quickly and the white track markers also stop. Good thing we did not try it in the dark.

Next day got to Kowmung River at spur end within 1.5 hours, refilled water and bush-bashed back to river crossing opposite creek leading up to Colong Cave. PS water level was crotch height. By the time we got there and were delayed by watching a family of wild pigs playing it was nearly midday. I was surprised the next stage up to Colong Cave and Bash Camp was not a track, just following a rocky creek bed which proved to be slow going. After 1.5 hours we turned back and camped on Kowmung River as we were not going to make it before dark.

Decided third day to hike back up Uni Rover Track and spend our 4th day walking to Kanagra Walls and Billys Camp Site. Hike up the ridge was tiresome but a good workout and we decided to stop at Lost Rock as we knew there was water there. We had another nice evening although the weather set in that night and it started raining. Our 4th day was spent hiking the 22km's via Kanagra Walls to Billys Camp in the rain and mist. A pity as we could not see anything of the Walls.

All in all a great 4-day hike. Saw a variety of wild life which my 13 year old daughter loves and had a good experience - there were a lot of signs and sounds of wild dog packs. Also got to see the terrain and get a better feel for distances and times in that area. Next trip we will make sure we get to Colong Caves and Bash Camp.
roguetrooper
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby kanangra » Fri 29 Apr, 2011 10:28 am

Rogue trooper,

Even though you didn't make your original route it still sounds as if you had a good time. I'm not sure though what you mean by Billy's Camp? Do you mean the Boyd River camp ground?

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby roguetrooper » Tue 03 May, 2011 9:55 pm

You are right... typing to quickly!
roguetrooper
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to New South Wales & ACT