Snowshoeing around the Kosciusko Range

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Snowshoeing around the Kosciusko Range

Postby Nuts » Sun 19 Jul, 2009 7:56 am

Hi All.
I'm heading north for a while and was hoping to do a walk somewhere in the NSW alps.. Something multi-day and 'high'.
I had in mind say Round Mountain, Jajungal to Thredbo but I have only done some sections of that walk over summer.
Anyone have any suggestions as to 'the best' (extended) walk in the area at this time of the year? Nothing too dangerous, the walking and camping is ok but wouldn't want anywhere that anyone could fall a long way...A track, track markers would be helpful...

Any comments welcome....
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Snowshoeing around the Kosciusko Range

Postby Tony » Sun 19 Jul, 2009 10:18 am

Hi Nuts,

Nuts wrote:Hi All.
I'm heading north for a while and was hoping to do a walk somewhere in the NSW alps.. Something multi-day and 'high'.
I had in mind say Round Mountain, Jajungal to Thredbo but I have only done some sections of that walk over summer.
Anyone have any suggestions as to 'the best' (extended) walk in the area at this time of the year? Nothing too dangerous, the walking and camping is ok but wouldn't want anywhere that anyone could fall a long way...A track, track markers would be helpful...

Any comments welcome....

I have not done this whole trip but I have done most of it in parts.

Round Mountain is not accessible by car in winter the gates are locked at Cabramurra and Khancoben. The best access points at that end of the park are Kiandra and Mt Selwyn with the safest parking at Mt Selwyn but you have to pay $27 day for parking. there are some companies that will drop you off at Kiandra.

As for track markers there probably will be none in the snow, a lot of the Kiandra to Koszi route is on fire trails and in low snow are easy to follow but after a heavy fall could be hard to follow. Most go cross country just before Jagungal to Whites River Hut via the Kerries ( the Kerries are highly recommended)

The most common route is Kiandra to Koszi via Jagungal, there are many huts to stay in on the northern part of the trip (check on the KNP huts association web site for the ones still standing) but on the main range there are no huts and in bad weather it can be difficult, a lot of people go Kiandra to Guthega or Munyang, it is easy to bail out at the well marked (snow poles) Munyang Geehi road.

In nice weather doing the main range mountain tops walk would be magnificent.

If you want I can give you more info later.

Tony
There is no such thing as bad weather.....only bad clothing. Norwegian Proverb
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Nuts » Sun 19 Jul, 2009 10:35 am

Thanks Tony, I thought this would catch your attention, have seen a few comments/pic's of yours from the area....
I'll need to study some maps to get a better idea of the routes you mention. I have walked in from somewhere near Selwyn (was 15yrs ago (with the CBC)) on fire trails to a hut near Round mountain but coming in from Kiandra sounds interesting. Would this be the area (in the snowies) you would choose for a multi-day snow trip? I did see a route description linking huts from the Selwyn Rd. to Thredbo somewhere, sounded great... Do you have any links to routes/snowshoeing in the area, or suggestions for further reading?

I have family in the area so access, pickup shouldnt be a problem.

cheers, nuts
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tony » Sun 19 Jul, 2009 3:19 pm

Hi Nuts,

I would highly recommend the Kiandra to Kosciouszko crossing it is the best multi day snow trip in the area, and I would love to do it myself.

I could not find any track notes for you so I have checked my maps and from what I have been told from people that have done the crossing I have written some notes.

A suggested route,

Start Kiandra on Table Top Mountain Fire Trail (probably called Table Top Mountain Track TTMT now)

Just off the TTMT is Four Mile Hut, ok for staying night but can get very busy on weekends, the next hut, Broken Dam Hut is a new (just rebuilt) would probably be best if you can make it first day this is a bit off track but traveling off track in this area is OK, some places around Table top Mountain it is hard to find the track, if not snowed for a while there should be lots of ski tracks. Happys Hut was a very popular hut but has not been replaced after the fires.

Table Top Mountain to Mt Jagungal I have not done this section as I usually go in to Jagungal via Round Mountain or from the South. I suggest to follow the Australian Alps Walking Track (AAWT) towards Jagungal, in this section from what I have seen and been told the snow is marginal and some walking might be required.

Some cross country skiers leave the AAWT near Munyang range and head toward Cesjacks Hut (this is probably the most popular route) and then work their way west to Mt Jagungal, this is not difficult country to travel in on snow. A day type trip from Cesjacks Hut to Jagungal and back, then on to Tin Hut for the next night could be a possibility.

Some follow the AAWT to O’Keefe’s Hut (which has just been rebuilt and it is a beauty) then the trip up Mt Jagungal is steep but easy, this route is longer and has a lot of up and down.

Jagungal to Mawson Hut would be the next section this is basically an easy straight line walk.

Easy to pull out via Munyang Geehi road to Munyang Power Station.

The quickest route is Cesjacks Hut to Tin Hut but it is more scenic to do Mt Jagungal, Mawsons Hut then on to Tin Hut via the Kerries especially on a nice day, the Kerries is stunning country.

Easy to pull out via Munyang Geehi road or Aqueduct Track to Munyang Power Station.

Tin Hut to Whites River Hut is short and easy via Gungartan pass.

Easy to pull out via Munyang Geehi road Aqueduct Track to Munyang Power Station.

There are no huts in the Main Range after Whites River Hut and a good four seasons tent must be carried as the weather can be very harsh in the Main range.

Whites River to the main Range is done via the Rolling Grounds and Consett Stephen Pass, once up high it is best to try and stay high. Easy to pull out via Munyang Geehi road Aqueduct Track to Munyang Power Station.

Consett Stephen Pass on to Mt Tate, Mt Anderson, Mt Anton, Mt Twynam, Mt Northcote and Mt Kosciuszko, then Thredbo is all down hill, I think it is possible to take the chair lift down to Thredbo from Cracken Back.

To pull out from Mt Tate and Anderson it can be done straight to Guthega via the dam wall but from Mt Anton and Twynam it is best go to Guthega via Ilawong Hut Bridge.

Caution, if you choose to stay in the huts a space cannot be relied on as they are sometimes filled by groups, a tent must be taken as a backup.

Some of these huts have rats in them so some caution with food is needed, at Tin Hut the rat ate some of the insulation off my pot handles, ate my candle and stole my mates cup, we slept outside in our tents.

In a whiteout or fog the main range as I found out on my recent Mt Twynam trip is very difficult to navigate a GPS and spare batteries is advised.

Next G phone reception is possible from the top of some of the mountains.

Maps in Order

1:25000
Cabramurra
Denison (possibly not needed as only cross the bottom left corner)
Old Adiminaby
Jagungal
Geehi dam
Perisher Valley

Tony
There is no such thing as bad weather.....only bad clothing. Norwegian Proverb
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Nuts » Sun 19 Jul, 2009 3:27 pm

Thanks Tony, I'll read through your suggestions again with the maps open....
I had thoughts of heading right down the range (as a plan with the option to pull out early if the weather closed in)
(thats one pesky rat :wink: )
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Tue 21 Jul, 2009 8:51 pm

1) It's spelt Kosciuszko.
(Don't get me started on the correct pronunciation!)

2) There is no 'Kosciuszko Range'. Kosciuszko itself is part of the Main Range. The area you're looking at is the Jagungal Wilderness as far as Schlink Pass/GPS, and then the Main Range.

3) Yeah, the suggestion of Kiandra to Kosi is a good one. It's pretty easy going most of the way, although I prefer the route over the Brassies to Kerries Ridge - mind, I have no idea what that stretch would be like in winter . . .
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby north-north-west » Tue 21 Jul, 2009 9:01 pm

Table Top Mountain to Mt Jagungal I have not done this section as I usually go in to Jagungal via Round Mountain or from the South. I suggest to follow the Australian Alps Walking Track (AAWT) towards Jagungal, in this section from what I have seen and been told the snow is marginal and some walking might be required.

Or head straight for Far Bald Mountain and then down via Doubtful Pass to Farm Ridge, which gives you good easy access to Jagungal Saddle. Side trip up the Jagged Little Pill, then whichever route you fancy to Gungartan - Brassies, Kerries Ridge, Strawberry Hill - cross Schlink Pass, up Dicky Cooper's and a wonderful run down through the Rolling Grounds and the Granite Peaks to Consett Stephens and Mts Tate, Anderson and Twynam. Which leaves you just a short ways from the Summit Circuit.

There was a lot of competition in the early days about the first K2K crossing, as I recall. I hope you're not going to try to challenge the record?
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Tue 21 Jul, 2009 9:36 pm

Hi scavenger (pretty sure it was 'Kosciusko' when I was going at school ((in Tumut)(tumuT?) :D )
Anyhow, yes I do recall it having a name change at one stage (now you mention it).

(There was no Jagungal 'wilderness', seems to stretch the term a bit from what i remember...(compared to the tassie 'wilderness') but 'hey...whatever works)

Thanks for your suggestions, i'll study them (when i get the chance)- (dont think were out to break any 'Snowshoe' records no)....

I'm still planning looking at maps, reading. Was looking also at creeks and crossings that may not be easy unless there was good cover and with a fast flow if not.

I do mean the main range as in the range including Kossy... Been a while since i was there, I was thinking there was a hut (at 'blue' lake?) may be wrong? but yeah, always an option to skip this if the weather is closing in as Tony mentioned...

any further tips or info welcome.....
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Tue 21 Jul, 2009 9:56 pm

The only sizable creek crossing on that route (as far as I recall) is Doubtful Creek itself which is around knee deep even at the height of summer. Most of the others are fairly low.
Unless you do the Strawberry Hill route, which means you have two river crossings between that ridge and Gungartan. Not really advisable in winter. Interesting, but.

Yes, the powers that be decided to amend the spelling to the correct one - which is what Strzelecki originally used, but it was simplified to make things a little easier for all you Anglo-Saxon types.
My pedantry generally goes into overdrive with Polish names. Blame it on my parents.

(There was no Jagungal 'wilderness', seems to stretch the term a bit from what i remember...(compared to the tassie 'wilderness') but 'hey...whatever works)

Yeah, 4metre wide freshly graded firetrails with gutters and metal signposts at every junction is not exactly my idea of 'wilderness' either, but if you go cross country you miss most of that.

I do mean the main range as in the range including Kossy... Been a while since i was there, I was thinking there was a hut (at 'blue' lake?) may be wrong?

Only usable hut on the Main Range is Seamans, which is just past the Snowy River crossing, on the way from Charlotte Pass to Rawson Pass. No camping near the Blue Lake, either.

Oh, . . . there's Illawong hut, near Guthega, but I think that's a private Ski Club hut, isn't it? Plus something down the Munyang Valley between Schlink Pass and GPS - White's River Hut, maybe another whose name I can't remember..

There are - or were - a few huts between Tabletop and Jagungal, but they're mainly near the AAWT. Boo Bee was burnt down, and I've heard that Happy's was as well, but there's been some question about the accuracy of that report. Mackey's is still there, and a nice little place it is, too, wild pigs notwithstanding. O'Keefe's, but that's under Jagungal itself and a beast of a climb that ridge would be in winter. Then Mawsons, out near Kerrie's Ridge.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Tue 21 Jul, 2009 10:19 pm

Thanks scavenger this is all good....
(huts not vital) (nice though :D )
I am wondering how busy this area has become with tourers?
There would have been very few out there when I was local, especially in winter...
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Tue 21 Jul, 2009 10:31 pm

The tracks get a good workout, especially on weekends/holidays, but there are some areas that are virtually empty most of the time - especially off track. Last summer I did a big loop out from Round Mountain, along 16 Mile Ridge, across Happy Jack's, Far Bald, Farm Ridge, Jagungal, Brassies, Gungartan, Kerries, Ghost, Grey Mare, Dargalls, Broadway Tops, Pretty Plain. Saw no-one off the track - or on it apart from one pair near the carpark and another bunch of three heading out to Derschko's.

Don't know about winter tourers, though. I'm not really a ski bunny. Snowshoes are on the shopping list, but.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby rcaffin » Thu 03 Dec, 2009 4:45 pm

Tony wrote:In nice weather doing the main range mountain tops walk would be magnificent.
Tony

But in foul weather ... been there , done that. Happens mainly on the Main Range.
Finding good snow between Tabletop and Jag can be a problem. Happy Jacks is often grassy. But light snowshoes would be OK.

Cheers
PS: Kosciusko!
Attachments
5622S.jpg
Snowy River, 2008
5622S.jpg (24.02 KiB) Viewed 11909 times
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 03 Dec, 2009 6:37 pm

What make and model of tent is in that picture? I don't think I've seen anyhing quite like it before.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby norts » Thu 03 Dec, 2009 7:33 pm

I would hazard a guess it is one of Rogers home made ones. See his FAQ
http://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/DIY_RNCWinter.htm
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 03 Dec, 2009 7:48 pm

Nice work! Looks like a very impressive tent with a lot of thought gone into it. I can't imagine making gear like that. I'm about the least 'handy' person I know.

Roger... Can we put a link to your site on our Wiki? Maybe on this page (but which section?).
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 04 Dec, 2009 7:53 am

I've added two links to Rogers FAQ pages on our Wiki here. It's under the Miscellaneous section for now, as I wasn't sure where else to put it. I hope this is OK (Google likes this sort of thing, anyhow). :-)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby jrc19s » Sun 05 Dec, 2010 8:53 am

Just joined the forum

FWIW 4 of us did Kiandra to Thredbo on skis in July 77. Camps were 1. somwhere between Tabletop & H Jacks. 2. Cesjacks Hut 3. White River (got to Valentines at Sunset & skiied down road) 4. Soil Con (well the door was open!)

Smow all the way but scrappy until Jagungal. I was on waxed Fischers -the others had steps -and dragging the chain first 3 days. After W River the others couldnt keep up. The edges were handy going round Twynam.

Recomemned for a great way to see the whole park!
jrc19s
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Return to New South Wales & ACT