Walk-in campsites for stargazing

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Walk-in campsites for stargazing

Postby anarresti » Fri 07 Oct, 2022 11:43 am

Hey all,

Looking for advice on any walk-in spots for stargazing within overnight reach of Sydney (up to say 5hrs drive away). Specifically wondering if there are any good walk-in spots in the cluster of NPs north of the Barringtons (Nowendoc NP, Mummel Gulf, Barakee, Woko, Curracabundi, Cottan-Bimbang, etc), which are all in great dark-sky territory, but figure can leave this discussion open to anywhere really.

I've had some success stargazing in Capertee area, but it's still not quite far enough away from Sydney/Lithgow for perfect dark skies.

Great site for assessing dark sky spots - https://www.lightpollutionmap.info/

Thanks !
anarresti
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Walk-in campsites for stargazing

Postby kali » Mon 07 Nov, 2022 5:57 am

Hey there
What about Warrumbungles? A little further but home of the Siding Springs Observatory
kali
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Eremophila » Mon 07 Nov, 2022 6:56 pm

Not quite the answer you’re looking for, but ….. nothing beats Central Australia for stargazing. I think Alice Springs even still has a remnant Astronomical Society, at least that’s what they used to be called.
Eremophila
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby damomcdermott » Thu 10 Nov, 2022 7:36 pm

Namadgi National Park about 1.5 hrs drive south of Canberra is very clear and elevated. I camped with the kids at Westerman's Homestead (only about 2.5km walk from the car park on Boboyan Rd) a couple of years ago. The stars were amazing and it's fun to camp by the old hut for convenience.
Easy overnight hikes for tiny adventurers randomfootprints.com
damomcdermott
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby anarresti » Tue 15 Nov, 2022 12:46 pm

Thanks for the thoughtful responses. Some great options.
I do love the Warrumbungles, a little further to travel but a wonderful, special place.

Hoping somebody who is familiar with those NPs around the hunter/mid-north I listed above may come across this thread too. Cottan-Bimbang and Woko in particular look intriguing, both for their lack of light pollution and for walking therein
anarresti
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to New South Wales & ACT