Mitchell's Creek Trail, Blue Mountains - Dunphys - 6ft track

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mitchell's Creek Trail, Blue Mountains - Dunphys - 6ft track

Postby skibug » Tue 15 Nov, 2022 5:02 pm

Always been interested in this as a "short cut" from Dunphys out to Katoomba - starting from the campground, using the Bellbird Ridge trail, then out to Nellie's Glen road near Corral creek, then up via Devil's Hole, thus avoiding the Nellie's Glen track closure (Nov '22). Can anyone advise me if there is good reason not to do it - particularly if it crosses private land, is heavily overgrown, very boggy, or some other reason? I understand it's probably a boring road bash, but would prefer it to walking the Megalong road, or backtracking to Tarot's. Can't find anything online about people using it.

I know about Carlon Head, but I would be with a group that I wouldn't take up there.

Alternatively, I could be tempted walking until turning off to Redledge pass, though again I'm not sure about private property, or the extent of the bush bash. any thoughts?

With thanks in advance,

Skibug
skibug
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Mitchell's Creek Trail, Blue Mountains - Dunphys - 6ft t

Postby keithj » Tue 15 Nov, 2022 6:01 pm

Mitchell's Creek Trail is all good well maintained firetrail. There are 2 gates and occasionally cattle grazing between them, so I guess that's not part of the NP. But there's no signage to suggest access is not allowed, and the topo seems to show a right of way. There's no reason not to do it. Consider a side trip up to Black Billy Mines (signposted).

You are likely to get wet feet at the Mitchells Ck ford.

The route up to Redledge is steep but fairly open. Theres a rough track that follows the cliff base from 600m W of Redledge Pass.
keithj
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Return to New South Wales & ACT