Yaouk Trail/Lone Pine Trail & Rowleys Hut - access

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Yaouk Trail/Lone Pine Trail & Rowleys Hut - access

Postby ejg_gonebush » Sat 09 Sep, 2023 3:29 pm

Hi,

Planning a ~1 week bushwalk around the south of Namadgi. Part of what I want to do is walk from Cotter Flats down to the Boboyan Valley in 2 days, taking Yaouk and Lone Pine trails. My topo map indicates that there's a supposed hut in the middle of this route called Rowleys Hut - the KHA confirms this hut is (partially?) destroyed, but there's still an open area there that looks alright for camping. However it's outside any of the nature reserves and therefore I assume on private property. Does anyone know if the landowners are okay with bushwalkers crossing/camping on their property? Does anyone know how I might contact them to check?

Many thanks
ejg_gonebush
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: Yaouk Trail/Lone Pine Trail & Rowleys Hut - access

Postby johnw » Sun 10 Sep, 2023 12:23 pm

May not be much help but I did the short Rendevous Creek circuit early last year, although didn't extend to the Rowleys Hut site.
Probably because I wasn't aware it existed, and I was short on time late in the day anyway.
Info I've read, including my Namadgi NP map, indicates that Rowleys Hut (ruin) is located within the park near the Bimberi Wilderness boundary, but nothing remains of the hut. See link below.
Based on that it doesn't appear to be on private property, but any concerns about access I would suggest phoning the Namadgi office at Tharwa. I called in there on my visit and found them really helpful.
https://www.thewalkact.com/rendezvous-creek-rowleys-hut-remain
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Zapruda » Mon 11 Sep, 2023 7:29 am

ejg_gonebush wrote:Hi,

Planning a ~1 week bushwalk around the south of Namadgi. Part of what I want to do is walk from Cotter Flats down to the Boboyan Valley in 2 days, taking Yaouk and Lone Pine trails. My topo map indicates that there's a supposed hut in the middle of this route called Rowleys Hut - the KHA confirms this hut is (partially?) destroyed, but there's still an open area there that looks alright for camping. However it's outside any of the nature reserves and therefore I assume on private property. Does anyone know if the landowners are okay with bushwalkers crossing/camping on their property? Does anyone know how I might contact them to check?

Many thanks

Beautiful part of the high country.

Rowleys hut is privately owned and is in good condition. I was there 2 weeks ago. KHA may be confused with Noonameena hut which is located at Yaouk gap and was partially burnt in 2020.

They are mostly fine with people using the hut. Extend the owners a courtesy and give them a call. John and Roslyn are lovely and they'll be glad that you called. Number - 02 6454 2386
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby johnw » Mon 11 Sep, 2023 5:04 pm

Zapruda wrote:Rowleys hut is privately owned and is in good condition. I was there 2 weeks ago. KHA may be confused with Noonameena hut which is located at Yaouk gap and was partially burnt in 2020.

Thanks for clarifying that Stef. I should have looked more closely at where the OP is starting from. Though I am curious to know why the Namadgi Park map is showing two Rowleys Huts (ruin). One on the AAWT near the Orroral Fire Trail, which I assume is the one in question, though the map seems to have it inside the park boundary (is there a private inholding there?). The other is a little WNW of the Rendevous Creek walk. The one you referred to above as Noonameena hut at Yaouk Gap is nowhere near either of the other two on the map. I'm getting confused and acknowledge that maps are not always perfect. Just that we may be in Canberra after Xmas for a week or so and I'd like to do another day walk or two. If so I might explore that general area a bit more, and it would be good to have confidence in what I'm using as reference material.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Zapruda » Mon 11 Sep, 2023 5:24 pm

johnw wrote:
Zapruda wrote:Rowleys hut is privately owned and is in good condition. I was there 2 weeks ago. KHA may be confused with Noonameena hut which is located at Yaouk gap and was partially burnt in 2020.

Thanks for clarifying that Stef. I should have looked more closely at where the OP is starting from. Though I am curious to know why the Namadgi Park map is showing two Rowleys Huts (ruin). One on the AAWT near the Orroral Fire Trail, which I assume is the one in question, though the map seems to have it inside the park boundary (is there a private inholding there?). The other is a little WNW of the Rendevous Creek walk. The one you referred to above as Noonameena hut at Yaouk Gap is nowhere near either of the other two on the map. I'm getting confused and acknowledge that maps are not always perfect. Just that we may be in Canberra after Xmas for a week or so and I'd like to do another day walk or two. If so I might explore that general area a bit more, and it would be good to have confidence in what I'm using as reference material.

No worries.

There were a couple of Rowleys huts in Namadgi NP. One is a visible ruin west of Rendezvous creek in the Gudgenby valley.

Another site is in Orroral Valley. And if I recall it was burnt down accidentally in the early 90s by a bushwalker. Built in late 40s.

As mentioned, Rowleys Hut in the Yaouk Valley is private. Noonameena hut at Yaouk Gap is also private. Rowleys is unlocked and often used by 4x4ers.

They are located here - https://maps.ozultimate.com/?id=1694416690904

OP is referring to Yaouk trail in Namadgi which then becomes Kennedys road once it is out of the NP.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby johnw » Mon 11 Sep, 2023 6:19 pm

Zapruda wrote:No worries.

There were a couple of Rowleys huts in Namadgi NP. One is a visible ruin west of Rendezvous creek in the Gudgenby valley.

Another site is in Orroral Valley. And if I recall it was burnt down accidentally in the early 90s by a bushwalker. Built in late 40s.

As mentioned, Rowleys Hut in the Yaouk Valley is private. Noonameena hut at Yaouk Gap is also private. Rowleys is unlocked and often used by 4x4ers.

They are located here - https://maps.ozultimate.com/?id=1694416690904

OP is referring to Yaouk trail in Namadgi which then becomes Kennedys road once it is out of the NP.

Thanks very much for that. Amazing clarity when you have input from someone who knows the place well :).
Sounds like there were once three Rowleys Huts but only one remains. I may walk west to the ruins via Rendevous Creek.
It looked interesting country last visit and I was wondering what was out there. Or might do other things off that Boboyan Road area.
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to New South Wales & ACT