Crampons for Bogong area?

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Crampons for Bogong area?

Postby andrewbish » Thu 11 Aug, 2011 12:30 pm

I am planning to do a walk around Bogong in the next few weeks. Will prob be a circuit including Mt Arthur, Spion Kopje, Nelse and Bogong.

I will have snowshoes, but I am wondering of there is any likelihood of needing crampons. What do you think?

Also, I am assuming an iceaxe, if just for arrest, is a given.

Andrew
Twitter: @andrewbishxplor Blog: Trails & tracks
andrewbish
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Re: Crampons for Bogong area?

Postby Bill P » Sun 14 Aug, 2011 9:15 am

Hi Andrew.

Its hard to tell until you get up there how icy it is. I went up Feathertop last weekend and left the crampons in the car. Snow wasn't that icy . The snow shoes I had lost grip on traverses but others with the MSR lightning types fared better. I would probably take crampons if you have them. Bill P.
Bill P
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby andrewbish » Sun 14 Aug, 2011 7:52 pm

Thanks, Bill
Twitter: @andrewbishxplor Blog: Trails & tracks
andrewbish

Postby Gippsmick » Sun 27 Nov, 2011 8:45 pm

G'day Andrew. Bill is on the money. If you have both - consider taking both. It depends on what your doing. If just walking you should get away with snowshoes. But I have seen hard packed sheet ice from the tree line above the Staircase Spur to the summit in which my MSR snowshoes with excellent cleats just wouldn't bite deep enough. Crampons were required but we were on a climbing trip and had them with us - generally we would only have snowshoes though.
Gippsmick
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby peregrinator » Mon 28 Nov, 2011 3:50 pm

Please excuse my ignorance. Checking my notes of previous walks, I realise that I've only ever been at such altitudes in February and March. I've been to various places at c.1700 meters in late November and early December and seen no ice or snow, so can I ask at roughly what time of the year can one expect to walk without snow/ice equipment on the Bogong high plains? Thanks for any advice. (Yes, I know I could wait for a few more years of global warming after which it should be possible to walk there in sandals in July.)
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 01 Dec, 2011 11:29 am

while you can expect snow at any time of the year the ground is usually only snow covered in winter, Queens birthday week-end is the official start of the ski season and from about then to the end of October I usually go prepared for reasonable snow coverage, that should be about right for the next decade; after that it will probably be reduced to just a moth in the coldest time of the year and who knows after that
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby peregrinator » Sun 11 Dec, 2011 12:21 pm

Thanks, so can I assume that snowshoes would not normally needed between (roughly) November and April?
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby JamesMc » Thu 15 Dec, 2011 9:06 pm

You can assume that you won't need snow shoes from October to May inclusive unless there is exceptional snow fall.
JamesMc
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Victoria