mt bogong 3 day route

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

mt bogong 3 day route

Postby lime » Tue 27 Dec, 2011 5:43 pm

Hi all,

Just wondering if someone who knows the Mt. Bogong area would be kind enough to suggest a 3 day walk, starting midday on the first day, and ending early afternoon on the last. My group and I are a bunch of 20-somethings of moderate fitness, thinking of heading there this Jan. Thanks in advance!
lime
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: mt bogong 3 day route

Postby thedirtymexican » Tue 27 Dec, 2011 10:50 pm

Hi Lime,

Hope you get a reply soon, I'm looking at a similar walk in February.

Good luck on your hike.
thedirtymexican
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: fotohikr.salinas.id.au
Region: Victoria

Re: mt bogong 3 day route

Postby JohnM » Wed 28 Dec, 2011 4:28 pm

If you have two cars, park one at the bottom of staircase spur, and the other at rocky valley dam near falls creek.

Day one: up bogong via staircase spur, stay overnight near Cleve Cole hut.

Day two: Cleve Cole hut to either Roper Hut or around Johnstons. Neither of these days are a lot of kms, but day one is 4 hours of UP, and day two is mostly steep down and up. Pretty hard work, especially if you're hauling lots of red wine.

Day three: easy walk out to your car. If you've parked it at the dam at the start of the Heathy Spur track, that's probably he nicest way.

If you only have one car, I'd go up via staircase and stay at Cleve Cole. Then I'd go down to big river and have day 2 lunch there, and a bit of a cooling swim. It's a really nice river. Probably go back up to stay on bogong the second night, then on day three go down bogong to your car via the other spur to the north (sorry can't remember the name offhand, but it's a well marked track)

Ps: I've given you proper dunnies both nights... Always nicer than squatting over a scathole.
JohnM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Victoria