Quick day walk to Pretty Valley hut

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Quick day walk to Pretty Valley hut

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 05 Oct, 2021 8:17 am

Well ski season had just ended and I was in My Beauty picking up a dining room table.
Walked there to pick-up the few bits that I had left there in anticipation of a swift return. Well as the cracked ribs were actually broken spinal process and taking a little longer to heal and another unrelated but painful heart and health issue and lots of lockdown yesterday was the first time I was able to get back.
All my gear was there and it took just a minute to pack it after a quick Ovaltine.
The hut is looking very sad and I don't think it will last another snow storm or winter season.
The weather was flipping a couple of degrees either side of freezing the whole afternoon and I was very glad of my old fashioned heavy weight Goretex parka and the winter weight Patagonia Long-Johns.
A quick trip and that is all but I must get back into a training regime of some sort as my legs and knees are telling me I need to walk more and more often
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Quick day walk to Pretty Valley hut

Postby stry » Fri 08 Oct, 2021 7:12 am

Use it or lose it MD. :) My recollection of the Geelong area is that it is flat, which doesn't help. Any hills within a reasonable distance of home ?

Although for me, and I don't think I am alone, it is really a case of "use it and still lose it, but lose it more slowly" :lol:

Sad news about PV hut. I passed through earlier this year and it looked OK, but I didn't check it out properly.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Fri 08 Oct, 2021 8:17 am

stry wrote:Use it or lose it MD. :) My recollection of the Geelong area is that it is flat, which doesn't help. Any hills within a reasonable distance of home ?

You Yangs would probably be closest, from memory.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Biggles » Fri 08 Oct, 2021 11:53 am

stry wrote:Use it or lose it MD. :) My recollection of the Geelong area is that it is flat, which doesn't help. Any hills within a reasonable distance of home ?

Although for me, and I don't think I am alone, it is really a case of "use it and still lose it, but lose it more slowly" :lol:

Sad news about PV hut. I passed through earlier this year and it looked OK, but I didn't check it out properly.

Really?
Geelong...is flat??
I don't think so! I am a Geelong native, heading home next week after an 8 month posting in QLD.
The Moorabool Street hill, south or north, walked 5 times in a day, will toughen up wonky legs. Even better if you ride it on any sort of bike. If COVID restrictions allow, there are coffee shops either end of the hill!
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Victoria