Feathertop loop - possible extensions

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Feathertop loop - possible extensions

Postby ccar » Wed 30 Nov, 2022 1:23 pm

Hi all, I'm planning my first adventure out in the Vic High Country and have settled on the following loop:

Day 1: Hotham > Feathertop via Razorback
Day 2: Feathertop > Diamantina Spur > Dibbins Hut
Day 3: Dibbins Hut > Hotham

I'll have a 4 hour drive from Melbourne to begin day 1 and end day 3, so not worried about those days being short (3-4 hours of walking from my research), but I was looking at ways to extend day 2.

I am fairly fit and have done overnight multi-day hikes before, so would like to be walking for 7-8 hours given the long daylight hours in January - although this would be subject to the heat at the time.

So I was thinking I could at least visit Weston's Hut (from Blairs) but then discovered I could go all the way up to Pole 333, visit Mt Jim, Youngs Hut, down past Basalt Temple and onto Dibbins. This would make for an approximate 24km day (and perhaps 9 hours walking with breaks), but I would have the option of staying at Youngs Hut to shorten it, and it wouldn't add much more the last day (remembering the long drive home). Again, this would be subject to the weather and wouldn't be done if it was too hot.

Also have options to not do the "side trips" to Mt Jim or Youngs Hut if I needed to shorten the extra loop once I'd started it.

I also like the idea of not staying at Dibbins Hut in the middle of school holidays assuming that it will be pretty busy.

I'd really appreciate some feedback on my ideas for extension - as I've already read all the threads on the standard loop and feel very comfortable with that - including going down Diamantina Spur :)

Thanks!
ccar
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Feathertop loop - possible extensions

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 30 Nov, 2022 3:47 pm

The basic plan looks good. One option is to carry water from the road and camp at the top of Diamantina Spur, perhaps 10 minutes from The Razorback. If you can leave the road by about noon you should have time to climb Feathertop. Except in very dry years the creek on the Tom Kneen Track about 15 minutes from the summit track is always running, and that's another water option. A Diamantina Spur camp saves about 45 minutes the next day.

It will take 3-4 hours to reach the valley from that campsite, and a few more hours to reach Westons Hut, a good place for lunch. From there it's another few hours to pole 333 and Mount Jim. The SEC Hut is perhaps 2 hours away, flat and downhill. The track is a bit hard to follow in places, especially near the Youngs Hut site. If you go too far and end up in a broad saddle with no trees and Hotham on the right, go left and back, downhill to the hut a few minutes away. There's minimal sheltered camping after Westons until the SEC Hut, although you could drop down from pole 267 to Basalt Temple, flat and a possible creek.

Going from the SEC Hut, cut the corner at the treeline at 1740 metres altitude, north-west. The main pole line is obvious. The descent to Dibbins is a bit steep in places, but much easier than Diamantina. The Dibbins area could be crowded. The start of the climb up Swindlers Spur is steep, about six groans per switchback. From the SEC Hut I usually reach Derrick by about 11 am, then 90 minutes to the road and 40 minutes to Diamantina Hut. Park facing downhill if you can.

If you or your knees die coming down Diamantina Spur, one option is to camp at Blairs, or preferably take water to a dry camp further up the road. The latter is recommended as it makes the last day a bit shorter
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Xplora » Wed 30 Nov, 2022 4:10 pm

Staying at Youngs instead of Dibbins will cost you a few hours but worth it. Going down the last part of Diamantina and then up Westons Spur will be your slowest part but the climb up Westons, although steady and steep in places, is not to onerous. From Westons Hut there is still more climbing to the high plains but once on the pole line traversing is quick. The diversion to Youngs will take you down but there is water and a nice place to pitch a tent. Dibbins can get very busy and the camping platforms are in a crap position. A few spots to pitch a tent might be available near the hut but flat ground is harder to find away from the hut.

If you did the Razorback and Feathertop day one and camped at High Knob you would have a good start for the next day but you would need to carry a bit extra water. Diamantina spur, Blairs to Red Robin and Dibbins is pretty tame for a day. Might as well continue up Swindlers. Even if you don't do Youngs hut it would be better going via Pole 333 and Basalt Temple to Dibbins unless you like walking on a boring road. Mind you, the first part of Westons spur is an old road but it is nice. Your plan has merit.

People talk about a rock scramble on Diamantina spur but I seem to have avoided it. Don't over think it. It is another hill and at least gravity will help.

Just read Lops assessment as I posted. He knows the area well also.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ccar » Thu 01 Dec, 2022 6:36 am

Thanks Lophophaps and Xplora - it's great to get some feedback and advice from people with first-hand experience.

I think I've settled on staying at Youngs Hut, as long as it's not 30 degrees - if that's the case the case shorter day will be welcome.

As for water, I believe I can get it from:

- Tom Kneen
- Bottom of Diamintina Spur
- Westons
- Youngs
- Dibbins

Which should give me regular topups, although I will carry 3-4 litres from each point.
ccar
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 01 Dec, 2022 7:21 am

Water should be available at those places. If you go south on the West Kiewa River there's water to Red Robin Mine. The road from there to Mount Loch is a bit of a slog. There are quite a few small creeks from about 1750 metres on the Westons Pole line all the way to pole 267. Derrick has good water. The rocky section on Diamantina Spur is easy if you take care, no need for a rope. There's a short-cut to Blairs, dropping off the side of the road to the left. This is a wet crossing, about ankle deep.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Thu 01 Dec, 2022 1:25 pm

All of the above is good advice, just adding another vote for camping at the top of Diamantina (behind High Cone)... much nicer/fewer people than Feathertop (Federation Hut) and can get water for the night/next morning from the tank at Federation on the 1st day if you have time to knock off Feathertop on the 1st afternoon. I'd personally also prefer camping at Basalt Temple or Cobungra Gap than Dibbins, unless you can jag one of the clearings near the hut which are often occupied.
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ccar » Thu 01 Dec, 2022 3:46 pm

Yeah, I definitely like the idea of getting Feathertop done on the first day, getting the water refilled and heading to Diamantina to camp for the night - again, to avoid the crowds. Out of interest, how many tents would you fit there? I suppose it could be crowded too, relatively speaking.
ccar
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 01 Dec, 2022 6:17 pm

Federation Hut has room for perhaps 20-30 tents, quite cosy with the higher figure. It can get a bit windy at times. The pictures below show some of the Federation Hut camping.

Family group S.jpg

Federation camp 2 S.jpg

Federation camp S.jpg
Razorback in the distance

There's masses of room at Diamantina Spur, and it's much more sheltered than Federation Hut. The clearing is 2-4 times the size of the Federation Hut clearing. There's also a much better view of Feathertop.
Diamantina dawn 7 S.jpg
Diamantina Spur campsite at dawn
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby ccar » Thu 01 Dec, 2022 8:06 pm

That's good news then, for some reason I thought it was a small spot
ccar
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 15 Dec, 2022 6:19 pm

BYO water to the Top of Diamantina spur. It is a great scenic campsite and away from the crowds at Fed. hut.
:-)
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby ccar » Fri 16 Dec, 2022 11:01 pm

Well with the weather of late, I don’t think I’ll have to worry about 30 degree days, it looks like it will be the opposite! But I’m not going until early January so I guess anything can happen…
ccar
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby ccar » Fri 30 Dec, 2022 11:44 am

Last piece of the puzzle for me - is the parking at Mt Loch Carpark better than the side of the road at Diamantina Hut? Obviously that’s the better choice for people doing a day hike or 1 night out and back, but I’ll be walking back via Mt Loch anyway so thought that might be a better option, also shortens the last day a bit.

Does anyone have any reasons as to why this wouldn’t be the best option?

Thanks!
ccar
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Lophophaps » Fri 30 Dec, 2022 12:15 pm

I'm not sure if Loch Car Park exists. Last summer they were building something and there was no parking. There is parking at The Cross about 500 metres up the hill from there. In general it's best to park at the end of the walk so that departure is faster. If starting at Diamantina Hut and ending at Loch Car Park, packs could be left at Diamantina Hut (well back in the bush, away from the track), drive to Loch CP (or The Cross if Loch CP is not possible) and walk back to Diamantina Hut with no packs.

This is Diamantina Hut on 1 January 2022. The hut is the clearing on the left at the back. There are about 35 cars and room for another dozen or two.
Diamantina cars S.jpg
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Baeng72 » Sat 31 Dec, 2022 6:45 pm

If it helps, here's some crap video of some walks I did in that area:
Hotham (Mt Loch carpark when it existed), Dibbins, Pole 333, Westons, Dibbins, Hotham (May 2021); https://youtu.be/RFDXGhJ_JPA, https://youtu.be/IelUs81JgU0, https://youtu.be/Ig86HwwV0JY
Harrietville, Fed. Hut, Diamantina, Blair's, Dibbins, Hotham, Bon Accord, Harrietvielle (March 2022): https://youtu.be/RFDXGhJ_JPA, https://youtu.be/2EvbDMiAzXw

Happy New Year All!
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ccar » Sun 01 Jan, 2023 9:04 am

Thanks Baeng72, have already watched those when coming up with my loop - they helped a lot.
ccar
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Biggles » Mon 02 Jan, 2023 11:32 am

Lophophaps wrote:I'm not sure if Loch Car Park exists.

I have not seen it for many years!!
I have parked the car just at the clearing where the hut is. It's not always a welcome development to add 500m or so walking along the road, especially if it is hot summer sun beating down!
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ccar » Mon 02 Jan, 2023 1:33 pm

I've decided to park at the Corral carpark as I thought it was the safest option for a few nights. Adds some kms to the start but not too many to worry about.
ccar
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby scroggin » Wed 15 Mar, 2023 12:17 pm

Lophophaps wrote:Federation Hut has room for perhaps 20-30 tents, quite cosy with the higher figure. It can get a bit windy at times. The pictures below show some of the Federation Hut camping.

Family group S.jpg

Federation camp 2 S.jpg

Federation camp S.jpg

There's masses of room at Diamantina Spur, and it's much more sheltered than Federation Hut. The clearing is 2-4 times the size of the Federation Hut clearing. There's also a much better view of Feathertop.
Diamantina dawn 7 S.jpg

I counted 70 tents at Fed hut on Sat night for the long weekend :shock: . There were 5 more at the Feathertop track junction and few on the hill behind the hut. It was crazy
scroggin
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 15 Mar, 2023 1:05 pm

Seventy tents at the hut and a few more nearby! There goes the neighbourhood. Do you have any idea where they came from? That many tents shows why I camp at quieter places. My last trip had this many other tents in sight each night: 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 3, 4, 0, 0, 0.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby scroggin » Wed 15 Mar, 2023 2:25 pm

There were a lot of families, young couples and from talking and observing, quite a number of first timers

When I arrived there was a substantial number, but I found what I thought was a quiet spot. By the time I got back from climbing Feathertop and collecting water from the NW spring it was like Bourke St. I just had to count the number of tents.

I would have moved but i had already inflated my sleeping mat which is quite exhausting. I cant complain as I was part of the horde and everyone was well behaved.
Attachments
MicrosoftTeams-image (21).jpg
scroggin
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Wed 15 Mar, 2023 8:02 pm

I never camp at Fed. hut anymore .

MUMC hut and the Top of the Diamantina spur/ High Knob are better places to camp. The BYO water factor for the High Knob camp site is a built in people filter as is the absence of a pit loo.
Camping at Stoney Tops camping area ( BYO water ) and visiting Mt. FT via the Northern Razorback walking track is the kind of option I also tend gravitate towards.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ccar » Tue 24 Oct, 2023 11:41 am

Well, after cancelling the January 2023 trip as something came up and got in the way, I did make it up there in May this year only to walk the whole first day in cloud and 10-20 meter visibility, so camped at Fed Hut on night one and then retraced my steps along the Razorback to the car cutting the trip short. The weather was forecast to get worse, especially the wind so I was happy to make that decision as it was my first time up in the Vic Alps.

Anyway, I'm off again later this week to do the trip proper and look to have a good weather window.
ccar
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Wed 25 Oct, 2023 8:03 am

Hi. If you stop by Roper's Hut you will see our track clearing team this weekend.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ccar » Wed 25 Oct, 2023 9:04 am

PCV, if I see you at Roper's Hut then it means I'm majorly lost and on day 5 of a 3 day trip!!

I'm not planning on going any further east than Pole 333 :)
ccar
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby ccar » Wed 08 Nov, 2023 4:17 pm

So...a quick trip report.

Day 1 was the drive from Melbourne to Hotham, parked at the Management Office and started walking up and over Mt Hotham to Diamantina Hut. Walked the Razorback (took a break midway) and summited Feathertop with a break on top for a while. I was the only one up there and it was very calm - hardly a breath of wind, probably around 5pm I think. Met a couple of guys going up for sunset on my way down, one of them 70 years old! Went and filled up with 4 litres of water from Federation Hut and backtracked to Diamantina Spur where I camped for the night. No one else around, it was sublime. About 18 kms all up.

Day 2 did the Diamantina descent, and by the time I got to Blairs Hut I didn't feel like I had the legs to get all the way up to the high plains and around to Youngs Hut. The wind was supposed to pick up that night so I decided to continue on to Dibbins instead and have a relaxing afternoon there by the river. I was first there so had the pick of the tent spots along the river, but by dinner time there were 11 tents in total (2 at the hut, 9 along the river and none on the booked tent pads). Most people had come from the Falls Creek direction I think. 11 kms today.

Day 3 was up Swindlers Spur back to Hotham and the car. I enjoyed this day a lot with some different scenery, and a patch of snow to walk through (just off track past Derrick Hut). Walked back along the road from Mt Loch carpark, which looks all but finished and is open for day parking (the gravel carpark, not the flash multistory one). 9 kms today.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, glad I had a plan B for the second day, I could have continued on with the original plan but actually enjoyed the time off from walking. Can't wait to get back up there though, might start the loop in reverse and get up onto the high plains on day one next time.

Thanks to all who helped in this thread with my planning.
ccar
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Wed 08 Nov, 2023 9:34 pm

It is good you had a successful and enjoyable trip.
You may find walking in this region something that is habit forming.

There are so many
ways to get up to Mt. Feathertop, The Razorback , The Bogong High Plains
and Mt. Bogong.
Mt. Bogong has a special allure for many people. There is no easy soft option in terms of getting up there.
You can have a lazy day at Cleve Cole hut and visit Howman's falls or do a day pack walk up to West Peak .
The walk from Mt. Wills to Mt. Bogong ( and back ) is arduous but quite rewarding.

Then you have the Buller - Howitt area of the Vic. Alps which is also magnificent.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Xplora » Thu 09 Nov, 2023 6:59 am

paidal_chalne_vala wrote: Mt. Bogong has a special allure for many people. There is no easy soft option in terms of getting up there.

Really? Parking at Granite Flat and walking to the summit is an easy, soft option. Mulhauser camp to CC hut is a pretty cushy walk that can be done as a day walk or 4wd to the end of the Long Spur jeep track and cut out the climb from Mulhauser camp. But I guess with all these options you would need some kind of 4wd capacity.

ccar wrote:Day 2 did the Diamantina descent, and by the time I got to Blairs Hut I didn't feel like I had the legs to get all the way up to the high plains and around to Youngs Hut. The wind was supposed to pick up that night so I decided to continue on to Dibbins instead and have a relaxing afternoon there by the river. I was first there so had the pick of the tent spots along the river, but by dinner time there were 11 tents in total (2 at the hut, 9 along the river and none on the booked tent pads). Most people had come from the Falls Creek direction I think. 11 kms today.

The walk up Westons spur seems daunting but it is not too bad (as I mentioned earlier). Always an option to call the day at Westons hut but the beauty of walking around this area is the number of plans you can have if things need to change and now at least you have more to go back to. There are a few more challenging ways to get onto the High Plains as well. More navigational challenges (at least for some) than exertion but all will have a climb. Thanks for the update and happy you had a satisfying trip.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 09 Nov, 2023 8:44 am

ccar wrote:So...a quick trip report.

The first day is quite long, well done. The clearing on Diamanatina Spur about 10 minutes from The Razorback is quite nice, sheltered by the terrain and trees. I hope that the proposed Falls Hotham Alpine Crossing huts are not built here. Diamantina Spur is quite steep, especially for the last 400 metres of altitude to the road, so going to Dibbins option understandable. The bottom of Swindlers Spur is a bit steep too, up to about 1600 metres from memory. After that it's very pleasant walking to the hut.

As Xplorer said, Westons is not too bad. After that seems to go on forever up or down. There are many ways to vary trips. Staircase is long and tall. Eskdale is a lot shorter and steep at the top. I found both to be a bit challenging. Alternatively, Ropers to Big Rover and up T Spur is not that hard - 700 or so metres down and up, steep at the bottom on both sides.

PCV is right - you may find walking in this region something that is habit forming.

Coming from Derrick Hut, how big is the car park at the Great Alpine Road? Is there parking at The Cross, about 500 metres up from there?
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby ccar » Thu 09 Nov, 2023 8:54 am

Yes, I definitely have the bug for exploring the region, plus Bogong, plus the Howitt area as well. Just a pity it's a 4-5 hour drive just to get there in the first place.

The Mt Loch carpark, in it's current state, had room for around 10 cars I'm guessing inside the barrier that separates it from the road (and there were about 7-8 cars there on a Sunday lunchtime), plus probably that many again f you formed a second row parallel.

At The Cross, if it's where I remember it was as I drove past, maybe room for 4 cars off the road?
ccar
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Victoria