Big River Crossing

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Big River Crossing

Postby OG1 » Thu 22 Dec, 2022 5:48 am

Hi All... Does anyone have recent information on the Big River crossing at the bottom of Duane Spur and the bottom of Timms Spur. I am planning on doing the loop next week and keen to hear if the chain is in place and if the two crossings are viable.
Regards, OG1
OG1
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Big River Crossing

Postby Xplora » Thu 22 Dec, 2022 6:17 pm

I did hear of someone getting across recently and the chain is intact. The river has dropped considerably and is 1.25m at Joker. Barring any big downpour you should be OK. River levels will rise and drop quickly after a storm so do not be too concerned. Give it a day or two after 40mm and it will be back to normal. The trouble at this time of year are the storms that may dump huge on one area and miss where it is recorded. If this gauge gets to 1.4 I would not consider it http://www.bom.gov.au/fwo/IDV67209/IDV6 ... .plt.shtml but at 1.2 you should be OK. Normal summer level is 1m or below and that equates to knee high at the crossing. 1.2 would be lower thigh and 1.4 mid thigh. Only a rule of thumb and lots of variables. Still refining the algorithm but not inclined to walk in to check it just to satisfy a curiosity. Give me some feedback from your trip.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby OG1 » Fri 23 Dec, 2022 7:59 am

Thanks heaps Xplora... Exactly the information I needed. I'll let you know what I find when I do the crossings
OG1
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Joe J » Wed 08 Mar, 2023 8:23 am

Hi
I made the Big River crossing a couple of days ago (6th March) at the chain. The BOM site had the level at Joker creek as 1.05 at the time. At the chain it was 40cm, below knee level. That was after a couple of storms on the previous two nights.
Joe J
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Xplora » Fri 10 Mar, 2023 6:23 am

Joe J wrote:Hi
I made the Big River crossing a couple of days ago (6th March) at the chain. The BOM site had the level at Joker creek as 1.05 at the time. At the chain it was 40cm, below knee level. That was after a couple of storms on the previous two nights.

Good info. Thanks. Just looking at the plot for the river height and I can see a very small bump on the 6th and it has now settled down to under a metre. Might have to convince someone to go to the chain when Joker is at 1.2m. There has been some great walking weather on the mountain of late. Wednesday not so much but that was only one day. Hope you had a great trip.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Joe J » Sat 02 Sep, 2023 8:37 am

Has anyone else noticed that the BOM river level data for the Big River at Joker Creek is no longer on the BOM site? Anyone know why?
Joe J
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Xplora » Sun 03 Sep, 2023 7:09 am

Joe J wrote:Has anyone else noticed that the BOM river level data for the Big River at Joker Creek is no longer on the BOM site? Anyone know why?

I noticed and don't know why. Might ask BOM. It has had some issues and may need repair. I had a look at the actual gauge the other day and it was sitting around 1.3m. There was some rain after that and we are well into snow melt but expect it would not be too much different.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Xplora » Tue 05 Sep, 2023 1:09 pm

BOM tells me this station belongs to DEECA and enquiries should be made there. That would take a while to get a response even if I could find the right section. My message will be sent to the BOM techs who have looked into this before when the station was down. See what happens.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Xplora » Thu 07 Sep, 2023 6:30 pm

Joker station back in action. Currently 1.31m but with the rain coming in just now I would expect it to rise to 1.5m at least by late tomorrow. That would make T spur difficult.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Joe J » Thu 07 Sep, 2023 8:33 pm

Hey, thanks for looking into this, appreciate it.
Joe J
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Xplora » Fri 08 Sep, 2023 7:19 am

Joe J wrote:Hey, thanks for looking into this, appreciate it.

BOM have an online method of reporting almost anything weather related and it is pretty simple. I have used it many times to report issues and the best thing is someone usually gets back to you within 24 hours and from my experience the problem is fixed our you get an answer why it is not pretty quick also. If only all government agencies worked to this standard.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 23 Oct, 2023 1:44 pm

BTAC are doing track clearing on Duane spur and The T spur very soon. I will be there and I will report back on the Big River Crossing conditions.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 30 Oct, 2023 7:53 am

Big River crossing at Duane spur / T Spur is thigh deep as of 27-10-23 and the chain at the T spur crossing is in place. A log that was jammed in the chain has been removed.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Return to Victoria