Moth vine invasion in Mt Barney NP

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Moth vine invasion in Mt Barney NP

Postby gbagua » Fri 29 Apr, 2022 2:22 pm

I just received a message by someone I know who was hiking in that area last weekend. The invasion is so bad that it one can notice it as a bright green undergrowth visible in much of the park. I fully agree. I was hiking in Eagles Ridge and coming down the creek starting from the Isolated-North Peaks saddle back to the LP car park was a intimidating exercise.

I just hope the State Government starts getting the act together and do some more environment care & maintenance work.

This has been an ongoing problem for the past 3 years and it's just getting worse.

Time to apply this stuff:

https://www.kings.co.nz/cutnpaste-metgel-450ml-980333

And making sure the park is free from that pesky weed!!
gbagua
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Re: Moth vine invasion in Mt Barney NP

Postby CBee » Fri 29 Apr, 2022 3:43 pm

If you are talking about the vine with red flower, is not a weed and it's native (I can't remember the name). It grows aggressively after bushfires and in areas of partial shade (especially in gullies). I'm not a botanist but I assume bushfires followed by extra long wet season would only fuel this vine. It's hard to bash through because it won't let go easily. Lantana in comparison, is like a walk in the park. The area between Logan's ridge and North Ridge on Barney is pretty bad and mostly impassable (unless you have a machete). On Eagles ridge there are patches but midget and barrabool are completely clear from it. But if you are actually talking about the moth vine, the one with the pretty pink bell flower, I don;t think is much of an issue, bushwalking-wise. But then, I'd be curious to see rangers going around with the weed killer, trying to clear so many hectares of bushland. It may take a couple of centuries.
CBee

Postby gbagua » Sat 30 Apr, 2022 10:33 am

Not quite sure about which type of flowers it yields but here is a photo of it blocking the bottom of Gwyala Pk (next to Barney creek), which is basically currently out of bounds; the vine has blocked any access unless you carry a machete as you say.

Here's a pic:

Going down the creek below the Isolated-North saddle has now sections that look like that! Last time I was there May 2021 it was nothing like it. This thing is spreading slowly everywhere as noted on my first post.
gbagua

Postby Lyrebird » Sat 30 Apr, 2022 8:14 pm

The growth everywhere in the Scenic Rim is just insane. I’m up at Christmas Creek after a misguided attempt at Point Lookout (the descent was like something out of Wet’n’Wild, but grubbier). There are masses of Glycine, Lantana, Morning Glory et al eating fences and swallowing water tanks. After so many dry years it comes as a shock. Fortunately it hasn’t infested the park too badly as yet, but that probably won’t last.
Lyrebird
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby gbagua » Sun 01 May, 2022 2:35 pm

Please contact the QLD Department of National Parks so they can take action. I just sent a feedback form which can be done via this link:

https://parks.des.qld.gov.au/contactus

My friend just told me that several properties located in Mt Mee went through considerable effort to get rid of it and the weed is gone now.

And according to the NSW DPI:

"Moth vine is a fast growing climbing plant with hairy twining stems and large green fruit. It is poisonous to people and animals and smothers native vegetation."

https://weeds.dpi.nsw.gov.au/Weeds/MothVine
gbagua

Postby gbagua » Mon 09 May, 2022 4:51 pm

Honestly after all this rain (and more to come, refer to BOM's weather prediction June to September 2022) parts of Barney are going to be submerged in moth vine. :(
gbagua

Postby Kuhr » Tue 31 May, 2022 1:31 pm

I recognise this vine, early last month I took a party of four and we walked a circuit from Top Swanfels Road intersection up to Mount Doubletop, then across the crest of the ridgeline to Swan Knoll (between Doubletop and Mt Huntley).

When we went to descend the ridge from Swan Knoll to the Swan Creek area, the upper parts of the ridge were entirely densely blanketed with what looked exactly like this vine, growing to roughly knee height.

We had to adopt a high-stepping gait to step over it, as it was steel like in its grip, and this became very exhausting and made the hips quite sore - I have never had to walk quite like it. It was too strong to push through.

To top it off, the bottom of the Swan Knoll ridge was covered in dense over the head lantana. We spent hours getting through both, and actually did not emerge from the Lantana until after nightfall at what on some maps is called Lemon Tree. I would classify that route as nearly impassable, unless someone is a masochist with a love of steel wire vines, and smashing through lantana.
Kuhr
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby trowland » Tue 31 May, 2022 2:25 pm

Kuhr wrote:I recognise this vine, early last month I took a party of four and we walked a circuit from Top Swanfels Road intersection up to Mount Doubletop, then across the crest of the ridgeline to Swan Knoll (between Doubletop and Mt Huntley).

When we went to descend the ridge from Swan Knoll to the Swan Creek area, the upper parts of the ridge were entirely densely blanketed with what looked exactly like this vine, growing to roughly knee height.

We had to adopt a high-stepping gait to step over it, as it was steel like in its grip, and this became very exhausting and made the hips quite sore - I have never had to walk quite like it. It was too strong to push through.

To top it off, the bottom of the Swan Knoll ridge was covered in dense over the head lantana. We spent hours getting through both, and actually did not emerge from the Lantana until after nightfall at what on some maps is called Lemon Tree. I would classify that route as nearly impassable, unless someone is a masochist with a love of steel wire vines, and smashing through lantana.

How is the condition of Top Swanfels Road after all the rain? Looking to head out that way soon(ish) to do the Huntley and Sentinel Point loop.
trowland
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby CBee » Tue 31 May, 2022 2:37 pm

Machete.
CBee

Postby gbagua » Tue 07 Jun, 2022 3:58 pm

To correct the thread title and also the type pf plant/vine I listed which is incorrect as per email sent by:

Justin O’Connell
Ranger in Charge
Boonah Management Unit South East Region
Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service & Partnerships
Department of Environment and Science
3522 Ipswich-Boonah Rd Coulson QLD 4310

"Hi X,

Thank you for your email and your concern about Moth Vine. We do rely on reports coming in from the public, walking in areas we don’t always get the opportunity to visit regularly.
We have been aware of *Moth Vine in the Yamahra Ck catchment since 2007 and have provided funding to reduce numbers (eradication is impossible) every year since. We have used the same contractor for the past 10 years who knows where the hot spots are. I tasked them last week to check out the site you described in your email and did not sight any moth vine. They saw mountains of Kennedia rubicunda which has virtually taken over the forest country in Mt Barney since the 2019 fires. It is a native and will eventually die right back. It likes fire and especially with all the rain we’ve had I have never seen it this thick in the 30 years I’ve been working here.
We will continue to monitor this area you describe and the catchment lines in the adjacent Yamahra Ck.
Regards."

Moth Vine: when pushing through the vine were you immediately covered in white milky sap because when moth vine is cut, broken or damaged the exudes a toxic white sap which will bleed from either leaves or stems.

The vine I'm referring to "Kennedia Rubicunda" (coral pea) is described here:

https://keyserver.lucidcentral.org/weed ... icunda.htm
gbagua

Postby CBee » Tue 07 Jun, 2022 4:22 pm

Kennedia rubicunda. Basically the ranger wrote the same thing I have posted above previously. So we'll need to wait until next drought. :-)
CBee

Postby dalehikes » Wed 08 Jun, 2022 10:32 am

I went and climbed Mt Ernest on the weekend up via Organ Pipes route, down via the Nth East ridge.
Although there was plenty of new growth around including Kennedia rubicunda, and far more prominent in the lower flanks, it would appear that Ernest has escaped the worst of the invasion.
I assume this is in part due to the fact it had copped multiple burns prior to the big 2019 fires reducing the severity of both burn impact and subsequent growth.

I found it to be a rather enjoyable day.

Perhaps this could lead to a surge in popularity in coming years as people begin to avoid other areas of the park...
dalehikes
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby CBee » Wed 08 Jun, 2022 11:39 am

I found (in the Barney region) the vine to be worst in areas of shade such gullies or south-side of ridges. Mt. Ernest routes are exposed to the sun, being on the north or east side. Some of the southern sides of Eagles ridge (the one you use to contour the hardest peaks of the Tums), that appear to be in the shade most of the day, are particularly bad even if they are perched relatively higher up from the valley. But for sure, the areas that escaped from the fires, are totally free from the vine. I have been hiking extensively in the main range recently and I haven't seen a single kennedia vine.
CBee

Postby gbagua » Sat 11 Jun, 2022 8:49 am

CBee wrote:Kennedia rubicunda. Basically the ranger wrote the same thing I have posted above previously.

Yes you were. ;)

The area between Isolated Peak and LP car park is a green nightmare. To be avoided unless you are a masochist and keen to bush-bash for hours to no end.
gbagua

Return to Queensland