Walking Fraser island

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Walking Fraser island

Postby jonow » Mon 13 Jun, 2022 9:00 pm

Hi all,
1st post looking for info/ track conditions for walking from wanggoolba Rd to ungowa camp on 4x4 track Fraser island, pulling a cart. I have no problems on beach but unsure if inland tracks are loose sand. Any info?
jonow
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Re: Walking Fraser island

Postby CBee » Tue 14 Jun, 2022 7:58 am

It's unpleasant without a pack, I can imagine pulling a cart on a 4x4 track on soft sand carved by vehicles. But it's less than 10Km, if you do it on a cool day, you should make it alive. Unless you are pulling 30+ Kg then who knows.
CBee
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby jonow » Tue 14 Jun, 2022 12:25 pm

Yeah I'm thinking it's gonna be a struggle but doable. Hoping for the best but planning for the worst.
jonow
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby goanna » Tue 14 Jun, 2022 5:07 pm

I think that you would want very large diameter wheels on your cart so that it doesn't hang up on the mound between the 2 wheel ruts.
goanna
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby jonow » Tue 14 Jun, 2022 5:57 pm

Hoping pic of cart comes through. Goes well on beach sand.
Attachments
PXL_20220326_212418045-EFFECTS.jpg
This my cart
jonow
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby sandym » Tue 14 Jun, 2022 6:34 pm

Of course, I am tempted to ask why as Ungowa Camp is down in the mangrove area, but you know your own mind - I presume.

We did part of the Great Walk on Fraser and the section along those major roads you are planning on walking are quite OK and not too sandy, so you will be fine.
sandym

Region: New South Wales

Postby jonow » Tue 14 Jun, 2022 7:45 pm

The past 18 months I've been loving how accessible southwestern coast of Fraser is by kayak and on foot (+ inaccessible to 4x4). Done a few multiday trips. Having figured out how il reach Gary's anchorage yet but ungowa is next on my list to explore. Thanks for the tips, hard to find info. Even trying to scan YouTube vids you can't tell what conditions tracks might be once you leave the coast.
jonow
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Gadgetgeek » Tue 14 Jun, 2022 7:56 pm

To a degree the 4x4 tracks change in condition pretty frequently, I don't think that will be an enjoyable time. Certainly use the high-vis, as the utes won't get a chance to see you, and in some places, some of the SUVs will have trouble slowing and stopping without getting bogged if conditions are bad. I've been on the island on days where many tracks were almost impassible to non-mod plate vehicles, and that road, in particular, can be both extremely rough, and busy. It's not uncommon during busy times for the inland crossing from the kingfisher ferry to Eurong to take over four hours. That track gets lots of carved out holes, so you'd walk a meter up and down for every two forward. If I'm reading where you are thinking of going, I've not seen that section, so I don't know if it's twinned or matted or just a cut-line. In some cases, the road can be an easy meter below the surroundings, so as a walker there is no easy exit from a P-plater with horse-power-mania. If I was going to share the track at all with vehicles, I'd want to drive it first and be off-peak season. I've been on the island about 6-7 times, up as far as the light house once, but mostly up to Orchid. Not saying you shouldn't, but without knowing how busy a road that is, I can't say it's a good plan. There are several facebook 4x4 clubs that do trail reports of the various roads, so it might be worth looking at seeing what the best-worst case range is. I've had some bad times out on some of the "roads" when conditions were bad, and I'm not just saying that as someone with a pretend 4x4, I've been out there when the highly modded patrol drivers are wondering if they are going to be walking. I've also been out there on days where a determined prius would have made it.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Gadgetgeek » Tue 14 Jun, 2022 8:02 pm

If you don't mind the soft sand, you may have some luck "handrailing" the road but I don't know how dense the brush is in that corner. I've always done Inskip up the east side on the beach, apart from one run up the inland track which was almost crippling. I've found any offtrack wandering to be very soft sand, but as you know that is very dependant on the conditions.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby jonow » Tue 14 Jun, 2022 8:16 pm

Ta gadget geek, some good points bout traffic il keep in mind.
jonow
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby CBee » Wed 15 Jun, 2022 8:14 am

I personally would tackle the beach at low tide instead. There will be a couple of creek wading hopefully not too deep for your cart. But you'll be at destination in no time, bare foot.
CBee

Postby jonow » Wed 15 Jun, 2022 9:26 am

Don't like the look of that mud on Google earth but definatley a possibility
jonow
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby sandym » Wed 15 Jun, 2022 4:48 pm

The mud and mangroves on the "beach" route will suck you and your wee cart down. Do you have a properly outfitted sea kayak? If so crossing from Hervey Bay to Woody Island, Moon Point and then head north. Two days paddling and you will be on the western side on lovely white sand past where the vehicles are allowed to drive.

Usual disclaimers, strong current, strong winds, the SE usually blows up the coast and can make it a bit of a bother to get back.
sandym

Region: New South Wales

Postby CBee » Wed 15 Jun, 2022 5:21 pm

jonow wrote:Don't like the look of that mud on Google earth but definatley a possibility

Don't assume it's all mud just from looking at Google earth. For example, if you like to use aerial imagery to plan your hikes, give QImagery a go, much more resolution and details. The west coast of Fraser will appear in a different way.

sandym wrote:The mud and mangroves on the "beach" route will suck you and your wee cart down.

Maybe, maybe not. I walked some parts of Fraser west coast (and some Moreton west coast) and is perfectly walkable on low tide and most of the areas even on high tide. My concern would be wading some deep creeks with that cart. But anyway, we are talking 5 Km on the beach, not a huge distance if you need to turn back and tackle the road. My 2c.
CBee

Postby jonow » Wed 15 Jun, 2022 5:22 pm

Thanks sandythe mud looks like trouble. I've been north,ungowas the goal.
jonow
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby jonow » Wed 15 Jun, 2022 5:38 pm

Cbee had a quick look at qlimagery, thats awesome detail! Will investigate further...
jonow
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Queensland