Photography at SALA Festival 2011

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Photography at SALA Festival 2011

Postby photohiker » Sat 06 Aug, 2011 10:14 pm

Hi.

For any SA members able to come, I have a few images in SALA this year, even sneaked a couple of Tassie images in :)

Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Re: Photography at SALA Festival 2011

Postby gayet » Sun 07 Aug, 2011 9:36 am

Well done Michael!
For those of us unable to make it, is there a link to the images?? Is the rockpool one of the Tas pics?
Thanks and congratulations
gayet
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby photohiker » Sun 07 Aug, 2011 10:37 am

Hi Gaye,

Yes, the Rockpool is in. :)

I made a frame for it from some spalted timber I found in the woodpile. Came out a treat. I had a bunch of fun with the saturation in that image, still not quite right, but nearly...

No link to the actual images, sorry, but I happen to have an iPhone photo of the two tassie images during framing:

I've framed them all in rescued timbers from around home using my zen woodworking skillz. haha. The Grotto shot is framed in Jarrah. I decided that I'd frame them for home, so if they don't sell they're going straight on the wall. They all came up well and I'll be happy if no-one buys any :)
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby gayet » Sun 07 Aug, 2011 10:54 am

I like that jig! Did you make it too? You may be out of luck in having them at home. Any more of the timber in the wood heap?
gayet

Region: Victoria

Postby photohiker » Sun 07 Aug, 2011 11:45 am

Yep! :)

They're called 'Folding Wedges' and they're the best method I have yet found to get a frame nice and tight during glue-up. Found the design on youtube with a character who reckoned the 'old way is the good way'. In this case, I cannot argue with that, it works very well. I can easily tension and adjust each corner without the other corners going spastic or creeping out of alignment...

That's a shot taken in outback SA (Gawler Ranges) Frame is Cypress with live edge. The donor tree used to overhang our house (dangerously)

No more of that spalted timber, but I have more of it unspalted. I think I know how it became spalted so I am going to experiment...
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory