Recondite Knob

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Recondite Knob

Postby naturelover » Mon 31 Mar, 2014 9:42 pm

Last week was my birthday, and my husband cleared time off work so he could come walking with me as an early present (we had visitors on the actual 'big' day). I chose Recondite Knob for my birthday treat.
There is some information on this knob in the net (3 other bloggers), one of whom has also written a report here in the forum that is expanded in his blog. There seems to be confusion at one of the signposts, and we, too, went off in the wrong direction for a bit, waiting for a track (or "route") that was marked on the map but was not on the ground. I've included (in my blogsite: natureloverswalks.blogspot.com) a photo of our route as tracked on my gps for the help of anyone else who might want to go that way.
We really enjoyed the journey. It began in idyllic forest and climbed onto a golden high moor where we felt we could see for extraordinary distances (and we chose a rather cloudy, unclear day). The silence and the expanses were wonderful. The wombat count greatly exceeded the human one (none of the latter) and we felt like we could have been the only two people on earth up there. We loved it. The views don't match the South West, but variety of scenery makes life interesting.
Also, in case it helps, we did not need as long as the book said. I say that only because sometimes we don't do certain walks because we think they'll take a lot longer than the time we have available. With this knob, I was fearing it needed to be done as an overnighter, based on some of the things I'd read. On this occasion, I enjoyed striding out, just in case one of the longer estimates was what we, too, would need (and I happen to enjoy that pace). Once I'd climbed Back Peak on the way back, I knew we had plenty of time left, so eased up somewhat. We were back at ETC in time for afternoon tea, and home in Launceston in time for dinner. If you're planning this one, take all times mentioned into account to give yourself a rounded picture of what you might need.
As found by the others, the old mining road heading south was not useful for long. For more details, see my blogsite named above.
naturelover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Recondite Knob

Postby Tortoise » Mon 31 Mar, 2014 10:06 pm

Thanks for the report and the tips. This went on my list when we did the Penguin Cradle Trail recently - looks great walking out there. Just when I start to think I've done most of the walks near Cradle, another area pops up to be explored. I'll look forward to it.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby naturelover » Tue 01 Apr, 2014 7:48 am

Ooohhh. You've done the Penguin-Cradle. FAB. I've been coveting that for a while now. I've touched on bits of it both last year and this - for e.g. when we did Black Bluff Range high point (and more) - and it looks wonderful. Recondite had the same kind of feel to it, most definitely: the feeling of being high and in very open space. (I adored the Mersey River section when we went up Black Bluff. What a peaceful, magnificent river.)
naturelover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby stepbystep » Tue 01 Apr, 2014 11:49 am

There are nice stands of Fagus on Recondite Knob if someone was thinking of going, later this month would provide extra rewards. Pandani Grove is also gorgeous.
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Taurë-rana » Sun 06 Apr, 2014 9:38 pm

naturelover wrote: (I adored the Mersey River section when we went up Black Bluff. What a peaceful, magnificent river.)
Um, Mersey? Yes it is a beautiful river but I think you'll find that the river you saw was the Leven, and that is also a wonderful river! Thanks for the report on Recondite Knob though, if/when I can bushwalk again it will be on my list.
Peak bagging points: 170ish
Recent walks - Picton, Wylds Crag, Rogoona
Taurë-rana
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby naturelover » Mon 07 Apr, 2014 9:22 am

Ahh. Thanks for the correction! I don't like getting facts wrong, and enjoy being put right. Your comments had me reconsulting my blog on Black Bluff, and I see that I had the name correct there, but the spelling wrong, so thanks to you, I've emended that one. I also consulted a map to see the relationship of the two rivers, and noted that it looks as if the source of the Leven was just below us when we were on the summit of Black Bluff, a fact I would have liked to have known when there, as I would have paid more attention to it. I love to marvel at the source of a wonderful river, to hold at once the tiny beginnings and the knowledge of what it will become and allow those two images to meld in some way.

I hope you get to bushwalk again. Your comment implied that this was not a sure thing. I hope you recover from whatever might be preventing it.
naturelover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Mon 07 Apr, 2014 4:17 pm

Yeah, that track is a sod when it hits the buttongrass, but otherwise it's pretty easy going.

Just don't assume that it'll be equally easy to push on that little bit further out to Remus. I still haven't recovered from Remus . . .
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes