3 Days Around Cradle Mountain

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

3 Days Around Cradle Mountain

Postby PiniPowPow » Wed 07 Nov, 2012 12:54 pm

Hi all, +1 and I recently travelled down to Tassie. We have wanted to visit for ages. With limited time and much to see we decided on a 3 day route around Cradle Mountain giving us time to check out Strahan, Hobart and Bruny Island. Here are some pics of out hike.

Day 1: Ronny Creek to Waterfall Valley
It was beautiful and sunny for most of the day making for great walking conditions. Having never hiked in Tassie before I was blown away by just how wild the country is.

Day 2: Waterfall Valley to Lake Rodway
Waking we were greeted by what I guess is pretty typical Tassie weather. I had never hiked in heavy rain before but our gear held up pretty good. As we turned off towards Scott-Kilvert Hut the rain turned to sleet and then snow. The walk to Lake Rodway was very wet, there was lots of water moving down the track and numerous deep sections to move through leaving us with wet cold feet. We had a vague idea to push on to Dove Lake but opted for a warm afternoon by the fire in the hut.

Day 3: Lake Rodway to Dove Lake
The weather set in overnight and we woke to deep fresh snow. Living in the Snowy Mountains we are pretty used to getting around in snow but it still made for challenging conditions. The rock scramble down Hansons Peak was interesting! The mrs was not impressed. We made it back to the courtesy bus in pretty good time and enjoyed an epic, if overpriced, burger at the visitor centre.

I made a short video of our trip

If your really keen, I wrote up a full trip report on my blog

http://www.olasmontanas.com/2012/10/around-cradle-mountain-tasmania-part-1.html

http://www.olasmontanas.com/2012/10/around-cradle-mountain-tasmania-part-2.html

http://www.olasmontanas.com/2012/11/around-cradle-mountain-tasmania-part-3.html

As a post note, on the day we returned the weather we encountered was shocking; cold, snowy and windy. We got back at about 2:00pm. I was amazed how many people were still heading out on the Overland Track this late in the day, most looked very underprepared. I would be amazed if they could have made it all the way to Waterfall Valley with the conditions being as they were. As it was the first day of the booking season I suppose they had to leave on that day or miss out? Surely a dangerous situation, although I am sure this would be a familiar sight for those of you who regularly hike in Tas.
PiniPowPow
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Re: 3 Days Around Cradle Mountain

Postby wayno » Wed 07 Nov, 2012 2:14 pm

drooling.....
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby corvus » Wed 07 Nov, 2012 7:54 pm

Nice one PiniPowPow it is one of my favorite stomping grounds :) .
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Region: Tasmania

Postby PiniPowPow » Fri 09 Nov, 2012 11:37 am

Thanks fellas, it was such a good trip. Hopefully I can get down that way again soon.
PiniPowPow
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby tigercat » Fri 09 Nov, 2012 12:16 pm

Great photos. Fantastic you had clear views on your first day, the view of Barn Bluff from Waterfall Valley is one of my favourites. I did the same trip in reverse last May
Cheers C
Wilderness: restful and healing for the mind and spirit
tigercat
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes