Arm River & Mt Oakleigh, 6th/7th April 2010

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Arm River & Mt Oakleigh, 6th/7th April 2010

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 12 Apr, 2010 9:38 pm

My wife and I walked the Arm River Track with some friends during the week of Easter. The weather was great on the first day (overcast, but fine and still), but a bit wet on the second day (not cold though).

We had originally planned to climb Mt Ossa on the first day after walking in, but I misjudged the timing of it all very badly, and we didn't have anywhere near enough time to do this unfortunately (need to have left home about an hour and a half earlier, and walked the Arm River Track about an hour quicker).

However, we did do Mt Oakleigh the next morning before walking out, in the rain and cloud. It was my 4th time up this mountain, and it's still one of my favourites. Lovely bush, and varying terrain.

We ended up pitching all three tents on the large tent platform near the OT, and avoided the hut which was a great decision - our own space, fresh air & peace and quiet (as in no wet socks hanging over the heater, farting, snoring, etc).

As per usual, I didn't take a camera, but here's some shots that the others sent to me. Not photographically brilliant, nor even scenic, but they show some of the fun of the walk.
Attachments
SAM_2170.jpg
Starting out in the car park
SAM_2170.jpg (106.61 KiB) Viewed 6821 times
SAM_2204.jpg
Posing on the bridge
SAM_2204.jpg (95.22 KiB) Viewed 6821 times
SAM_2206.jpg
Posing on the bridge
SAM_2206.jpg (93 KiB) Viewed 6821 times
SAM_2264.jpg
Cooking up 1kg of scotch fillet steak on the tent platform in the Trangia with fresh onions and mushrooms cooked in butter (& some dried veges)
SAM_2264.jpg (52.21 KiB) Viewed 6821 times
SAM_2266.jpg
Blue slug eating dinner
SAM_2266.jpg (55.58 KiB) Viewed 6821 times
SAM_2290.jpg
Peering through the pandanii forest 3/4 of the way up Oakleigh
SAM_2290.jpg (84.07 KiB) Viewed 6821 times
SAM_2296.jpg
It was quite warm, and I'd elected to wear a thermal top which was way too hot up the steep climbing section, so ended up going bare top for a while. I've no idea what I was looking at, and no Kim, I'm not throwing up!
SAM_2296.jpg (80.4 KiB) Viewed 6821 times
SAM_2306.jpg
What else does a bloke do at the top of a big cliff?
SAM_2306.jpg (33.08 KiB) Viewed 6821 times
SAM_2309.jpg
No... I was facing into the wind. Just unwrapping an apricot bar.
SAM_2309.jpg (29.95 KiB) Viewed 6821 times
SAM_2313.jpg
The vague dark patch in the cloud was all that we could see of the large rock columns just off the edge of the cliff at the end of Mt Oakleigh.
SAM_2313.jpg (41.63 KiB) Viewed 6821 times
IMG_0216.jpg
Wallabies at Oakleigh View Hut (Pelion Hut)
IMG_0216.jpg (107.33 KiB) Viewed 6821 times
DSCF5121.jpg
Mt Pillinger & Lake Price
DSCF5121.jpg (81.11 KiB) Viewed 6821 times
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Re: Arm River & Mt Oakleigh, 6th/7th April 2010

Postby tasadam » Tue 13 Apr, 2010 7:34 am

Son of a Beach wrote:It was quite warm, and I'd elected to wear a thermal top which was way too hot up the steep climbing section, so ended up going bare top for a while. I've no idea what I was looking at, and no Kim, I'm not throwing up!

Alternate comment (too late now, the secret's out...)

I've no idea what or who this photo is of and I do not know what it is doing in my collection :wink:
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby Julafreak » Tue 13 Apr, 2010 9:38 am

Haha hmm.. very very familiar... we were there 2 days before you. Me, Brett and his friend, Sonia. Brett! where the pics at?
Yippee!
Julafreak
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby DaveNoble » Tue 13 Apr, 2010 11:22 am

Hmm.... Look like the views from Oakleigh haven't changed too much since I was there last.....scenes I have missed and mists I have seen.....

Dave ;-)
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ent » Fri 16 Apr, 2010 10:19 pm

Julafreak wrote:Haha hmm.. very very familiar... we were there 2 days before you. Me, Brett and his friend, Sonia. Brett! where the pics at?

Err, thanks for the reminder. I have left the camera in Launceston so it will not be this weekend. Maybe a visit to Sonia and her high speed internet connection now I have the software loaded.

Popular place as bumping into Mr and Mrs Tastreker and the tribe. Ossa versus Oakleigh would be close in time. Five hours for Ossa and three and half for Oakleigh from Pelion Hut assuming an hour from Pelion gap to the hut on the way back. Ok viewing time at the top would be short on that schedule.

Cheers Brett
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes