Quoin Mountain

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Quoin Mountain

Postby stepbystep » Mon 05 Jul, 2010 12:00 pm

I had a sleepless night the other day and was wide awake at 5am, having ruled out a bushwalk because of twisted priorities I decided to bundle the muts into the car and take them for a wander through the Government Hills, our default walkies option. Jumping in the car I spotted my daypack and boots, but didn't think any further. Dogs loaded I headed off for the Bedlam Walls track, with the image of grander things it took about 30 seconds before thoughts drifted back to the pack in the back seat.
I have been thinking recently of peakbagging opportunities with the dogs and after checking the glovebox for my GPS my decision was made and I headed for the Southern Midlands. Having done zero research I had in mind either Brown Mountain or Quoin Mountain. With some fuzzy thoughts of access issues with Brown I headed for Quoin. I had no real map and after looking from the Kempton side and noting several private properties with threatening signs and Quoin Road being gated I headed down Lovely Banks Road where I found Loxton Road which also terminated at a private property.
With a far less threatening sign I kitted up, threw the doggies over the gate and started following the GPS, it was still pitch black and sunrise was still an hour away.
I followed an unsealed road up to a private logging coupe which I cut through and headed uphill directly towards the summit which was 2.2 km away in a straight line. Reaching the first ridge via regrowth forest I could barely make out a valley between myself and the summit, so I decided to follow the edge of the ridgeline and skirt around the valley. I should have stayed true to this theory.
Eventually I got sucked into straight line mode and plunged into the valley, within 5 minutes I had head high cutting grass, baura and a really rough surface of rocks/logs. The dogs at this point looked at me rather curiously but were totally stoked, unlike me.....
It took the best part of an hour from this point to bash my way through the scrub until I emerged onto Quoin Road, cursing the locked gate. From the road it was a half hour to the summit proper through many small logging coupes. The summit is 50-odd metres from the largest of these coupes. The views were non-existant from this point so I made my way out to the cliff face which is visible from the Midland Highway and from here the views over the Southern Midlands are what you would expect......Table Moutain does however provide a point of interest, perhaps another doggie peakbagging ambition.
With full light and lessons learnt we headed back to the car this time finding the 4WD/logging tracks I was merely metres off at times on the way out. We stumbled upon a bush timber mill, producing saw logs but got back to the car in much better time than the outward journey.
Not a walk I would rate for any reason really, but it is nice to be in the bush especially at dawn as the birds waken. 2 Wedgies were spotted and I saw evidence of wombats and saw plenty of Pademelons and wallabies early. I also had an owl flash past my face in the pre-dawn gloom, so despite fairly intense farming/logging all around Quoin Mountain provides an island for the plants and animals of the area.
Dogs were totally wrapped with the mornings unexpected mission and have officially begun their peakbagging ambitions.
The best thing was though, I was home by 11am and able to get on with domestic bliss without losing my whole day.
I will post a couple of pics later on, not much to look forward too I'm afraid.
Any other suggestions for peakbagging with dogs much appreciated, it's nice to have walking partners that don't question my navigation :D
Cheers, sbs
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Quoin Mountain

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Mon 05 Jul, 2010 12:06 pm

Hahaha hilarious!! Well done SBS! I do the same thing with my boy Seth occasionally, he has 5 pts :)

Quion is an interesting one, such a flat top the cairned summit can be hard to find.
Other dog walks could be Brown, Hobbs, Prossers SL, Mt Morriston, Snow Hill maybe Macgregors peak. Platform peak and Tanina could also be a go!! ll these are fairly to very short walks.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby pazzar » Mon 05 Jul, 2010 12:10 pm

I was eyeing off Quoin yesterday. I think it may be easier access coming in from the Colebrook side. It's definately one I will cross off soon, not before I get Dromedary, Platform and Tanina this week though.
"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."
pazzar
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stepbystep » Mon 05 Jul, 2010 12:10 pm

ILUVSWTAS wrote:Hahaha hilarious!! Well done SBS! I do the same thing with my boy Seth occasionally, he has 5 pts :)

Quion is an interesting one, such a flat top the cairned summit can be hard to find.
Other dog walks could be Brown, Hobbs, Prossers SL, Mt Morriston, Snow Hill maybe Macgregors peak. Platform peak and Tanina could also be a go!! ll these are fairly to very short walks.

Yeah, twas a funny day, have been thinking of Brown and Tanina, it's really handy if I can start early and be home by midday, I'm way too busy to write off whole days at the mo....
Tanina looks like it has great views too, so may make that the next mission with the muts
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stepbystep » Mon 05 Jul, 2010 12:22 pm

pazzar wrote:I was eyeing off Quoin yesterday. I think it may be easier access coming in from the Colebrook side.

If Quoin Road from the Yarlington Road side is unlocked this will be heaps quicker 1-1.5 hr return, as opposed to 3+hr return from Loxton Rd. I did not try from that end, you may even find access to the 4WD tracks and drive to the top, not that any self respecting peakbagger would do that :shock:
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby pazzar » Mon 05 Jul, 2010 12:25 pm

I did see on google maps that there were some kind of track to the top, if it is unlocked, I may attempt to drive up, at least part of the way. The map also shows a road right to the summit of Platform, I may walk that one though
pazzar
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Mon 05 Jul, 2010 12:42 pm

Hmm I dont recall seeing a road on the summit of platform, just a massive cairn.
Tanina would be a good one for the dogs, only takes about 1-1.5 hrs return.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby pazzar » Mon 05 Jul, 2010 4:00 pm

The map shows one, but it doesn't look possible to have a road where it is marked, it looks like it goes straight up the steepest part of the peak. I wont be planning on using a road if there is one there
pazzar
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Mon 05 Jul, 2010 4:14 pm

If there is it must stop just short of the summit, as I said there wasnt anything there except a HUGE cairn!
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby pazzar » Mon 05 Jul, 2010 4:16 pm

I reckon its been misprinted as a road instead of a walking track
pazzar
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby bluewombat » Mon 05 Jul, 2010 4:54 pm

Some info about platform and dromedary
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1098&p=10101&hilit=platform+peak#p10101
bw
Even a long life is short
HPB
bluewombat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby abowen » Mon 05 Jul, 2010 5:09 pm

Nice story Dan. I have been on nearby Table Mtn and at the time intended to climb Quoin on the way back to Hobart. Missed the turn off somwehere and didn't bother to turn back. Table is ringed by newish logging roads and if you can get access (it is a private forest holding - not sure who owns it) you can virtually drive to the base. From there it is only a 20 to 30 minute walk to the top.
Agree with Mark re Platform, there is no road to the top. There is a road that runs around the base on the eastern and southern sides, but it is still a fair climb from there to the top and fairly scrubby at that. The cairn is impressive though and well worth the walk. One of the best beehive cairns to be seen anywhere. I believe that it dates back to one of the early colonial surveyors.
Cheers
Andrew
Recent Walks:
Mt Gell
abowen
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Mon 05 Jul, 2010 5:12 pm

Correct Andrew :) Wentworth Hardy built the round ones I think, Mr Sprent built the rarer square ones as seen on Laperouse (and Mt Hean for the rare few who have been there)

Table can be walked from the road, takes about 3 hrs return but as Andrew said if you can get a key (which is NOT possible in hunting season for bushwalkers) you can follow roads all the way to underneath the peak. I really enjoyed the scramble up the scree slope of Table Mtn.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby bluewombat » Mon 05 Jul, 2010 5:32 pm

This is the cairn on Platform Peak

Platform Peak (5)_Medium.jpg

Definitely no road up there and agree another scrubby climb from the fire trail
bw
Even a long life is short
HPB
bluewombat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby stepbystep » Mon 05 Jul, 2010 6:13 pm

abowen wrote:...intended to climb Quoin on the way back to Hobart. Missed the turn off somwehere and didn't bother to turn back...

Thanks Andrew,
I don't blame you for not turning back, but as I said any time spent in the bush is well spent...
...and thanks bw and the rest for info on doggie peakbagging, better take note of hunting season for Table Mtn, don't want my best mates(or me) copping stray bullets :shock:
Cheers
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Mon 05 Jul, 2010 6:34 pm

Yeh not a good peak to climb in your deer costume.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Mon 05 Jul, 2010 6:57 pm

Hunters can differentiate between deer and dogs? Wow, things are improving.

As an aside, driving down the Tamboritha Rd yesterday evening, there were two 4WDs parked in a layby on a bend, with two blokes, in full camouflage gear, with rifles, sitting in folding chairs next to a (working) pot-belly stove.
Can't help wondering if the driver of the car a few km down was trying to flush something out and drive it towards them, but I was glad not to be walking in the area.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby abowen » Wed 07 Jul, 2010 10:22 am

Yes I had forgotten about the deer. When I did the walk, we came across some strange looking droppings - looked like large sheep droppings - and couldn't work out if there were some very large sheep about. Within minutes of this discovery we walked around a bend in the road and literally came face to face with a deer. First time I had seen them in the bush.
I have since seen another crossing the Lake Highway at Miena in the snow. Couldn't help but think that it didn't know what it was walking into and that it would have a shortened life span if it kept wandering around in that township!
Cheers
Andrew
Recent Walks:
Mt Gell
abowen
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Wed 07 Jul, 2010 10:34 am

Yeh they are a sight to behold huh! Walking partner and I scared a couple while on Jillets Tier
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby BarryJ » Wed 07 Jul, 2010 10:59 am

abowen wrote:..........................
I have since seen another crossing the Lake Highway at Miena in the snow. Couldn't help but think that it didn't know what it was walking into and that it would have a shortened life span if it kept wandering around in that township!
Cheers
Andrew

It's quite common to see deer wandering around in Miena.
BarryJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby stepbystep » Wed 07 Jul, 2010 11:57 am

As promised heres a couple of pics(no deers)
Attachments
Quoin Mtn.jpg
Quoin Mountain
Ted and Lucinda.jpg
the scrub-bashers
Rock and tree.jpg
Rock and Tree...
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby flyfisher » Wed 07 Jul, 2010 9:56 pm

The deer at Miena are most commonly seen around the shack areas and close by.

I was talking to my neighbour there a few years ago at mid afternoon and we saw a mob of 17 in a paddock behind the lodge.

Feral, but still nice to see. :wink:
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes