Mt. Anne 3-4 September 2010

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Mt. Anne 3-4 September 2010

Postby samh » Mon 06 Sep, 2010 12:05 pm

Hi all,
My wife had to go to Hobart for a couple of days before the weekend, and while we were down there anyway we decided to go up to Mt. Anne. We had been there a couple of times before once in summer and once in winter, but had no chance to reach the summit because of poor weather conditions.
Though the forecast said rain for Saturday, we took our chances and everything looked promising. After finishing business in Hobart on Friday morning, we started our walk just after lunch time and aimed at High Hut for the night.

mt anne.JPG

The weather was superb with hardly a cloud in the sky, and because of it we decided to move on from the hut to camp at the plateau for the night.

lake pedder.JPG

Some clouds moved in towards the evening, but we were in good spirits and looked forward to the next morning.

mt eliza.JPG

Enjoying the view from the summit of Mt. Eliza for a few minutes, we moved on to set up camp.

tent.JPG
samh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Mt. Anne 3-4 September 2010

Postby samh » Mon 06 Sep, 2010 12:14 pm

Over night the wind picked up and sadly in the mornign it started to rain. We waited for a while, but then decided to head back as the weather forecast seemed to be right again :(

mt eliza 2.JPG

Descending from Mt. Eliza

high camp hut.JPG

A quick rest at the hut and then walking back to the car park, changing to dry clothes, and driving back home.
Though, yet again the weather was not good enough for attempting the summit, we had a great time, and finally after 5 month an overnight walk again. :D

samh
samh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby stepbystep » Mon 06 Sep, 2010 12:38 pm

Nice one, those evening conditions made the effort worthwhile I'm sure - Anne doesn't give herself up easy, from 5 attempts I've made it twice :D Perseverance will get the reward....
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ollster » Mon 06 Sep, 2010 12:40 pm

Supposedly heading up this weekend, so this is quite useful indeed. What was the snow like? Snowy or icy?
"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: LoveMyGoat.com
Region: Australia

Postby samh » Mon 06 Sep, 2010 12:46 pm

Snow was a bit icy, on Saturaday morning it rained even up at the plateau, don't know if it went over into snow later in the day. So unless it had another big dump of snow I guess it would be rather icy. Hope to hear how you went when you get back
samh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Phil » Mon 06 Sep, 2010 4:44 pm

That first day looked fantastic Sam; what wonderful conditions!........but how things can change in Tassie!
Phil
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby north-north-west » Mon 06 Sep, 2010 6:56 pm

stepbystep wrote:Nice one, those evening conditions made the effort worthwhile I'm sure - Anne doesn't give herself up easy, from 5 attempts I've made it twice :D Perseverance will get the reward....

From four attempts I've yet to make it. One of these days . . . *shakes fist angrily in general direction of MtAnne*
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes