Mt Cullen

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Mt Cullen

Postby stepbystep » Sun 03 Oct, 2010 5:12 pm

I car camped at Teds Beach last night after arriving in the SW at 9.30pm last night with the intention on climbing Mt Cullen and The Sentinels - as the title might alude to, only one of my goals were achieved. I needed to be back in Hobart for work by 3.30 so time was tight....

I started walking up Cullen at 6am and made good time up the eastern spur breaking through the mist just in time to witness a magnificent sunrise over a sea of clouds punctuated by the magnificent crags and peaks of the SW.
P1040841.jpg
View from Eastern Spur
P1040841.jpg (288.92 KiB) Viewed 6073 times

My intention was to traverse the ridge from East to West then drop into the saddle leading to the true summit of Mt Cullen.
P1040862.jpg
Looking back along the ridgline
P1040862.jpg (413.01 KiB) Viewed 6073 times
This is indeed what I achieved, but stupidly I made the final ascent of Cullen directly from the East of the saddle and encountered several very thick bands of Baura/Cutting Grass/Banksia scrub which slowed progress somewhat.
P1040856.jpg
The true summit ahead
P1040856.jpg (437.69 KiB) Viewed 6073 times
Once up top I could see a much easier lead if I had sidled further to the South of the summit, this is a lesson I really need to learn for off-track as I'm well aware Western and Southern faces tend to have much lower scrub....next time maybe.
The summit gave stupendous views in all directions from the POW range, The Spires to The Denisons, Mt Field etc etc, but with particularly stunning views of The Sentinel and Frankland Ranges.
P1040891.jpg
View south from summit proper
P1040891.jpg (286.72 KiB) Viewed 6073 times
Lakes Gordon and Pedder were still under a sea of cloud but I wasn't concerned as my next goal for the day was The Sentinels where these vast watery impoundments would be in full view.
I made quick time back to the car totally stoked and ready for the next mission, BUT fate was to deal a most cruel blow.....

A horrible flat tyre awaited me :twisted: The car was in an awkward position and I could not move it much, a bit of ingenuity and much cursing eventually got the necessary repair made.
P1040907.jpg
That deflating feeling
P1040907.jpg (248.29 KiB) Viewed 6073 times
My time window was fast closing, arriving at The Sentinels carpark I had 2.5 hrs up my sleeve, just enough i figured - I headed to the logbook, took note of a couple of familiar names and was about to sign in when a bell went off in my head, daylight saving had kicked in overnight :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: One and a half hours probably wouldn't be enough time, especially for me and my dodgy left knee!
With tail between my legs I shuffled back across the Wedge River to leave The Sentinels for another day, but what a day to miss the chance - absolute bluebird conditions all the way back to Hobart.
Still I can't complain the walk up Mt Cullen was well worth the journey, just wish I had stayed up there longer though....
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Mt Cullen

Postby ollster » Sun 03 Oct, 2010 5:51 pm

Magic. Sucks about the tyre. The Sentinels is such a superb walk. Cullen wasn't too bad then? No difficulties?
"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: LoveMyGoat.com
Region: Australia

Postby stepbystep » Sun 03 Oct, 2010 6:54 pm

ollster wrote:Magic. Sucks about the tyre. The Sentinels is such a superb walk. Cullen wasn't too bad then? No difficulties?

Was surprised by the scrubbiness of the 'false summit' and as described took the wrong lead up to the true summit, but nah a fantastic little summit in a great location.
How was Ms Molly Yorke?
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Sun 03 Oct, 2010 7:37 pm

I told you there was a *&%$#! false summit and it was hard to get to one from the other. Didnt you look at my track? :lol: :lol:

Nice pics from a great day though mate!

Molly York was a bit longer than expected, quite a signifigant climb up a huge boulder field, maybe one of the biggest I have ever seen. Great views from the top.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stepbystep » Sun 03 Oct, 2010 7:43 pm

ILUVSWTAS wrote:I told you there was a *&%$#! false summit and it was hard to get to one from the other. Didnt you look at my track? :lol: :lol:

Nice pics from a great day though mate!

Molly York was a bit longer than expected, quite a signifigant climb up a huge boulder field, maybe one of the biggest I have ever seen. Great views from the top.

I know, I know, but the sun rises in the east my friend and if I went up directly I wouldn't have had half the fun(or the views), one of the best sunrises I have seen. The ridgeline traverse was pretty special.
Have seen Rohan's pics on fb, that is quite a scree slope, surprising I bet?
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Sun 03 Oct, 2010 8:00 pm

Very. Made kind of a nice change as there was absolutely no bush to walk through.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stepbystep » Sun 03 Oct, 2010 8:17 pm

Couple of panos as well, pretty cool huh...
Attachments
WEDGE THRU TO FRANKLANDSsmall.jpg
Nth from Cullen.JPG
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Sun 03 Oct, 2010 8:20 pm

VERY cool mate.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nick S » Mon 04 Oct, 2010 2:46 pm

the warm light on the clouds in your first pano is amazing sbs. i reckon it was worth the sunrise to miss out on sentinels :D
Nick S
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby stepbystep » Tue 05 Oct, 2010 7:10 am

Nick S wrote:the warm light on the clouds in your first pano is amazing sbs. i reckon it was worth the sunrise to miss out on sentinels :D

Thanks Nick, it was worth missing almost anything to have that experience, we are indeed a blessed bunch us walkers.
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes