Mt Speculation 27-28 Aug 22

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Mt Speculation 27-28 Aug 22

Postby Baeng72 » Mon 29 Aug, 2022 9:11 am

I drove up to Lake Cobbler area with a plan to walk to Mt Speculation and try snow camping.
The road in from Cheshunt is a bit rough and slow going, but fine in 2WD.
I think I got a view of Dagondale Falls.
falls.jpg
Falls

I parked the car at the intersection with the Cobbler Lake track and the side track down to Lake Cobbler.
The sun was out, and with gear on back I headed towards Mt. Spec.
The walk got steepish after a km or so, and the next few km warmed me up.
It wasn't hard, and after the Lake Cobbler loop turnoff, walking was easy enough.
Soon I switched onto Speculation track, heading past Muesli Spur, Mustering Flat (I think?).
Then after a bit of an uphill, the track past some subsidiary peaks of Mt Koonika, and then Koonika itself.
There's a well cairned and marked out track up to Koonika, which I declined to take.
I got a nice view of Mt Hotham, Feathertop, Bogong area and also a view of the Razor.
alps.jpg
Hotham/Feathertop

There wasn't much snow on the track, I was thinking before the walk started I'd see heaps of snow above 1400m on the road before Mt Koonika, but there were a few patches, but really nothing.
Maybe because it's generally north-facing track?
After some uphill on rocky Spec track (I doubt I could get a 2WD to camp creek, but that's probably a reflection on my driving ability) I arrived at Camp Creek.
The creek was flowing very well.
I downed the pack, had a break. I was struggling a bit, but wasn't finding the walking hard, maybe a cold or something?
Then I strapped the pack back on, and headed up toward the camping area higher on Mt. Spec.
The snow encroached the track, and I chucked on the dodgy Amazon snowshoes.
I headed up a bit higher, and walked to near where the GetLost topo map said there was a camping site.
There was a track of foot prints heading up the mountain but none to where the camp site was meant to be, except something that looked like dog tracks.
I tried walking that way, and found out how useless the snowshoes were on softer snow.
Not much floatation for a fat bloke with 15kg pack.
Anyway, after trying and failing (and falling) for 20m or so I couldn't see a camp site and headed back to where I'd left pre-existing footprints as that meant someone had packed the snow for me if I walked in their footprints.
That was the theory anyway...
I walked a bit higher and was starting to sink in a bit too much for my liking and backtracked a bit, and headed towards the ridge where the AAWT passes.
I set up the tent with a nice view across the Wonnangatta Valley looking directly at the Devil's staircase/Mac Springs with Mt Howitt and the Crosscut off to the right.
tent.jpg
Camp

howitt.jpg
View

I tried my best to pack down the snow by walking back and forth, put up the tent and then tried to head up to the summit without pack.
I got a bit higher than before, but hit a band of snow that was like walking on loose sand, every footstep would end up exactly at the point it started with the snow seemingly disappearing under foot.
I wasn't making headway.
I had some reception so sent a few text messages, and could also see the Razor & Viking and took a snap or two.
viking.jpg
Viking, looking back toward campsite

Anyway, back to camp, melted a bit of snow, cooked dinner and took some nice photos/time-lapse video of sun setting on Cross cut.
I had a down Ali-express sleeping bag, a home-made down quilt, bivvy sack to stop quilt wandering, insulated inflatable mat, EVA foam mat, puffy jacket, fleece and down pants so I wasn't cold.
But I just couldn't sleep well. I probably needed neurofen or something, just hadn't been feeling it all day.
Anyway, at about 4am I gave up trying and had only had a hour or so sleep.
The forecast was for showers late morning and I didn't fancy driving back to Cheshunt on a slick dirt track, so made sense to get going.
I broke camp and was away before 5am, gingerly heading down from campsite to Camp creek, first with snow shoes, then having stowed them, gingerly picking through rocks, water and plants to divine where the track was.
It wasn't that hard, just didn't want to fall over.
Once at Camp Creek, navigation was no issue and I plodded off towards Lake Cobbler in the dark.
About dawn I was at the Mt Koonika track I'd passed the day before.
I think I arrived at the car at 9:30am, there'd been a light shower just before I got to car, but that was all.
That's about it, long drive back home, had to have a few stops on the way home for naps as I was *&%$#! tired.
I didn't really feel my bushwalking mojo on this one, but anyway, a new experience, and the scenery near the top of Mt Spec was very nice.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Mt Speculation 27-28 Aug 22

Postby Hiking Exped » Mon 29 Aug, 2022 11:58 am

Nice report and some great pics.
Hiking Exped
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Baeng72 » Mon 29 Aug, 2022 5:21 pm

Hiking Exped wrote:Nice report and some great pics.

Thanks! Glad you liked it.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Baeng72 » Mon 29 Aug, 2022 5:22 pm

Video for those who like huffing, puffing and waffling in the beautiful bush: https://youtu.be/p-ZNHB7uiz4
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby gmac » Mon 29 Aug, 2022 8:03 pm

Enjoyed the report and the video. Been there a number of times during non snow times, it's just a great spot looking down the valley and taking in all the sights. Often wondered about the walk in during winter from Cobbler, well done, and you had the perfect weather for it.
gmac
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Baeng72 » Tue 30 Aug, 2022 8:48 am

gmac wrote:Enjoyed the report and the video. Been there a number of times during non snow times, it's just a great spot looking down the valley and taking in all the sights. Often wondered about the walk in during winter from Cobbler, well done, and you had the perfect weather for it.

Thanks, glad you liked it.

Yeah, weather was lovely.
I'm not really game to try my hand with poor weather in Alpine winter conditions.
Only got a 3 season tent, and gear suitable for nice conditions.
I used big fat plastic pegs from Big-W as sort-of dead-man anchors on the corners and bits holding vestibules, but there was so little wind I think it wouldn't have mattered if I used ordinary pegs.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Avatar » Tue 30 Aug, 2022 3:27 pm

Nice report from an uncommonly reported winter track in. Shame you had a bad sleep.
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Baeng72 » Tue 30 Aug, 2022 4:05 pm

Avatar wrote:Nice report from an uncommonly reported winter track in. Shame you had a bad sleep.

Thanks.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GregG » Tue 30 Aug, 2022 9:29 pm

Thanks Baeng, I enjoyed the armchair walk! I see you have a Granite Gear Crown pack - what is your opinion? I have one of my own but so far I have never used it on a walk.
GregG
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Old bushie
Region: New South Wales

Postby Baeng72 » Wed 31 Aug, 2022 9:09 am

GregG wrote:Thanks Baeng, I enjoyed the armchair walk! I see you have a Granite Gear Crown pack - what is your opinion? I have one of my own but so far I have never used it on a walk.

Thanks GregG.
I really like the GG pack. I got mine off MassDrop.
I dispense with the head or brain most times and just use it as a roll-top pack.
The only downside I've found is when you load it with more than about 13kg (this trip was 15kg) it digs into the shoulders a bit.
I think that's because with the light, plastic frame, it's not made for heavy or expedition loads.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Fri 09 Sep, 2022 6:43 pm

A good effort but I must say that
A tent that shape would have no chance in a 30 cm overnight snowfall. It would become unusable. In winter in the alpine areas I would not even think about taking a tent like that.In summer I would n't do it either.
I am a MONT Tent kind of person these days.
Plus having real snow pegs makes a difference.
Anyway it helps if you scout out these places in green season. In fog and snow things look quite different.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby Baeng72 » Fri 09 Sep, 2022 7:21 pm

Very true PCV.
It was forecast to be clear all day and have no precipitation till late morning the next day. I was ready to stuff everything in the bag quickly and head down to Camp Creek if that changed.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Xplora » Sat 10 Sep, 2022 7:45 am

Many summer solo trips in the mountains I would take an ex-army hutchie to sleep under. Just a lean-to setup. Works great. Have been in some weather with it also. Just set it up according to the wind direction. Your tent reminds me of this https://k2.com.au/products/wilderness-e ... koEALw_wcB

Wilderness equipment have been doing this for a while so maybe your tent would work in the snow. I don't think it is a W.E. but it has the same basic shape. Snow pegs are not much help if the snow is not deep so you might need to take some regular pegs also for below the snowline.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sat 10 Sep, 2022 9:05 am

I tend to carry both regular lightweight tent pegs and snow pegs in spring. It can
be hard to know where the snow line is in September .
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Xplora » Sat 10 Sep, 2022 11:21 am

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:I tend to carry both regular lightweight tent pegs and snow pegs in spring. It can
be hard to know where the snow line is in September .

This is very true about spring and sometimes you can get caught out in winter. Like my earlier post mentioned, difficult time of year to know what gear to take. We have camped on grass near Fitz's hut in winter but there was still plenty of skiable snow. If we only had snow pegs we would have been OK by finding some deeper snow but the grass is better. We made some snow anchors for guy ropes last trip to Bogong. Just bury a small broken branch with your guy rope looped around it and pack the snow down firm. That might help reduce carry weight.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Baeng72 » Mon 12 Sep, 2022 4:28 pm

I had a look again. I had time to spend a few days in the area, but ended up basically repeating myself.
Pretty crap night, and poor weather in morning convinced me to just head home.
Probably should've waited a few more hours or headed off towards Viking as it cleared after a while.
Anyway, if you want a look: https://youtu.be/lDtj1WlobQw
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Baeng72 » Mon 12 Sep, 2022 4:35 pm

Xplora wrote:Many summer solo trips in the mountains I would take an ex-army hutchie to sleep under. Just a lean-to setup. Works great. Have been in some weather with it also. Just set it up according to the wind direction. Your tent reminds me of this https://k2.com.au/products/wilderness-e ... koEALw_wcB

Wilderness equipment have been doing this for a while so maybe your tent would work in the snow. I don't think it is a W.E. but it has the same basic shape. Snow pegs are not much help if the snow is not deep so you might need to take some regular pegs also for below the snowline.

It's 3F UL (Lanshan) knockoff of that tent.
Mine is the 3 season variant. They sell a 4 season.
I used a combo of normal pegs and big yellow "snow" pegs from BigW on the Saturday night just gone.
The "snow" pegs were put in nearly horizontal in the snow, then I packed more snow on top and they stayed put.
Bugger to get out in the morning as it froze over well.
I couldn't find any bare ground, just a lot of shrubbery where the snow had melted on top of Mt. Spec, so I set up on the snow in the silly hope that it would be flatter.
I suck at campsite preparation/selection as it was a bit rough (snow didn't pack down well).
That was OK with an EVA mat & insulated inflatable, but it sloped viciously to one corner and the insulated map would slip and bend into the corner of the tent every time I moved through the night.
That required lots of getting off mat, readjusting.
Also quite gusty and the tent flapped about a lot.
About -3.6 degrees, but at least I wasn't cold.
But not getting sleep makes me uninterested in doing much the next day, combined with poor visibility in the morning I turned tail and headed home.
I think green season is my go. At least I'll be able to tell if campsite is relatively flat (I hope).
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Baeng72 » Mon 12 Sep, 2022 4:53 pm

It was a wee bit chilly. Outdoors -3.6 degrees. The "indoor" temperature was below 0. It won't give a reading for below 0, hence the weird "LL" type characters.
IMG_5201.jpg
Thermometer

Had all the "mod-cons". A radio to listen to Pies V Dockers game. Hard to get a signal, lots of static.
My missus pointed out that I could've just used the iPhone as I had internet due to line-of-sight with Mt. Buller
More atmosphere with the static and whistling noises as it went out of tune.
Match sucked, so turned it off at half-time.
Attachments
PRBE2871.jpg
Radio
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby andrewa » Mon 12 Sep, 2022 7:36 pm

Well done. You’ve pushed your envelope, and had a good trip away.

Lack of sleep…who cares when in the bush? It sort of goes with the experience.

I’ve been reflecting on some of my patient’s requests of late ( I’m a GP) and wish that many who request sleeping pills/antidepressants/anxiolytics/analgesics would just go and spend sometime in the bush, and learn how to cope with basic issues like getting from A to B by foot, producing your own shelter, staying warm, eating something, and maybe sleeping….all of which you’ve done. And then they’d realise they can probably survive without the pills…

Andrew A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby Baeng72 » Mon 12 Sep, 2022 8:56 pm

andrewa wrote:Well done. You’ve pushed your envelope, and had a good trip away.

Lack of sleep…who cares when in the bush? It sort of goes with the experience.

I’ve been reflecting on some of my patient’s requests of late ( I’m a GP) and wish that many who request sleeping pills/antidepressants/anxiolytics/analgesics would just go and spend sometime in the bush, and learn how to cope with basic issues like getting from A to B by foot, producing your own shelter, staying warm, eating something, and maybe sleeping….all of which you’ve done. And then they’d realise they can probably survive without the pills…

Andrew A

Thank you.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby indented » Mon 12 Sep, 2022 9:42 pm

Baeng72 wrote:I had a look again. I had time to spend a few days in the area, but ended up basically repeating myself.
Probably should've waited a few more hours or headed off towards Viking as it cleared after a while.

Nice one, looks like a fun trip. Where did you park and how was the drive up? I'm thinking something in that area might be good next weekend.
indented
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Baeng72 » Mon 12 Sep, 2022 9:56 pm

indented wrote:
Baeng72 wrote:I had a look again. I had time to spend a few days in the area, but ended up basically repeating myself.

Nice one, looks like a fun trip. Where did you park and how was the drive up? I'm thinking something in that area might be good next weekend.

The parking spot is at the intersection between Cobbler Lake Track and the side-track down to lake Cobbler.
That sounds a bit confusing, so I'll chuck in a map. When you get there, it's obvious.
The drive up is about 4 hours long from Melbourne (a bit longer if you need a break, which I recommend).
The drive up is fine, once you hit the unsealed section it becomes a bit slower.
After Bennie's Campground, there's some pretty slow bits.
It takes me about 50 minutes to travel the 20km from Bennie's to the intersection where you park above Lake Cobbler & the Cobbler track.
When Google maps says it's 2 hours to travel less than a 100km from Benalla to where you park, you think no way, but yes way.
(Google Bennies Campground, I'm not sure Google works with Lake Cobbler).
I returned via Oxley and Glenrowan, which took about the same amount of time but was all sealed after Cheshunt, whereas there's an unsealed bit between Benalla and Whitfield, so I'm going to go that way from now on.
Cobbler.JPG
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby indented » Mon 12 Sep, 2022 10:17 pm

Thanks. I was thinking it'd be over the other side of the lake near the hut. Good tip on the road too
indented
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Xplora » Tue 13 Sep, 2022 7:17 am

I will echo AndrewA's comments. You have gained some valuable experience in these last two outings and will work out how to do it better. I usually sleep better the second night and have some empathy for your bad night's sleep. Take some ear plugs if you expect it to be a bit blowy. Tent flapping annoys me and keeps me awake also. I recently bought a Nemo insulated mat and it is the most comfortable sleeping mat I have ever had. Combine that with a good pillow and the difference is amazing. Not sure if using your phone and internet to listen to the footy is a good thing unless you have another power supply or the game is very important. Can't see any Pies game being worth it (that should ruffle a feather or two). Well done. Keep pushing forward.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Baeng72 » Tue 13 Sep, 2022 9:28 am

Xplora wrote:I will echo AndrewA's comments. You have gained some valuable experience in these last two outings and will work out how to do it better. I usually sleep better the second night and have some empathy for your bad night's sleep. Take some ear plugs if you expect it to be a bit blowy. Tent flapping annoys me and keeps me awake also. I recently bought a Nemo insulated mat and it is the most comfortable sleeping mat I have ever had. Combine that with a good pillow and the difference is amazing. Not sure if using your phone and internet to listen to the footy is a good thing unless you have another power supply or the game is very important. Can't see any Pies game being worth it (that should ruffle a feather or two). Well done. Keep pushing forward.

Thanks.
I just had an idea to push on a bit more, and didn't.

It's OK. I got a good walk in, and more experience. I'm a bit of a moaner I guess. :)

In November, the Circuit road will be open and I can head to Upper Howqua and get back to exploring the area.

I had a separate radio, but as I was allowing on spending 2 or maybe 3 nights out there, I had 2 10000mAh battery packs to keep the phone and Garmin going, so wasn't an issue in any case.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Wed 14 Sep, 2022 1:55 pm

Dude . You went to Lake Cobbler twice ,and did not visit Mount Cobbler. I cannot comprehend that .

White season newbies should try their snow camping hands at Mt. Stirling or Mt. No. 3 refuge hut (coming in from Carter's road).
Unfortunately the greater Mount Stirling area has a had a bad ski season for snow . Much of the mountain has barely had enough to ski on in 2022.
IMHO we still have some skiing left in VIC. and esp. in NSW.
:-)

Nov. is when I switch to bushwalking :-).
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Baeng72 » Wed 14 Sep, 2022 8:21 pm

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:.

Dude . You went to Lake Cobbler twice ,and did not visit Mount Cobbler. I cannot comprehend that .

I didn't go there for Mt Cobbler.
What more can I say?
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Wed 14 Sep, 2022 9:23 pm

Next you will tell me you went to Cambodia and did not visit Angkor watt. I have a friend who really did that. I was getting RSI from rolling my eyes over that one too.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Xplora » Thu 15 Sep, 2022 7:49 am

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:. White season newbies should try their snow camping hands at Mt. Stirling or Mt. No. 3 refuge hut (coming in from Carter's road).
Unfortunately the greater Mount Stirling area has a had a bad ski season for snow . Much of the mountain has barely had enough to ski on in 2022.
IMHO we still have some skiing left in VIC. and esp. in NSW.
:-)

But you said there is no snow there so why would you go there to snow camp? What's wrong with Mt. Spec?
Baeng72 wrote:
paidal_chalne_vala wrote:.

I didn't go there for Mt Cobbler.
What more can I say?

I don't see Mt. Cobbler going anywhere soon. It is nice but not as nice as Spec.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to VIC Trip Reports & Track Notes