DEC. 2022. Young's Top/ Swindler's gap 3 day trek

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

DEC. 2022. Young's Top/ Swindler's gap 3 day trek

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sun 01 Jan, 2023 1:54 pm

https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/macna ... st-5257590

A trip report with photos can be found at this weblink. It was a great hike and it was varied and challenging.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.
Region: Victoria

Re: DEC. 2022. Young's Top/ Swindler's gap 3 day trek

Postby Hiking Exped » Mon 02 Jan, 2023 9:57 am

Another nice trip report and pics. Not been that region for a while. On my list.

Really enjoyed your last report too around King Billy (long days on the roads those) :? Have been looking at the loop from Mac Springs via Howitt Plains and King Billy track over King Billy, Mt Magdala and back down to Howqua.

Good to know the water was still running off the Mt Clear track too and more importantly you could get to it ok. Usually running, but the last time I was there several trees were down.

Happy hiking :D
Hiking Exped
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 02 Jan, 2023 5:46 pm

I did not visit Mt. Clear in Dec. 2022. The spring that is on the Mt. Clear management track some 400 M. past the locked gate at King Billy Saddle was flowing when I was there. The heat waves had not commenced at that point in the summer.Because that spring near King Billy saddle was flowing well and it is a sensible distance from the said camping area it made camping at King Billy Saddle quite pleasant.
The walk over Young's top is one I would do again next summer. I would be inclined to start from Pretty Valley pondage car park and walk via Young's hut and Macnamara's hut and back over 3 nights and 4 days.
The road to Falls Creek will reopen for the ski season ( I love skiing ! ) and remain open for the 2023-2024 green season.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Hiking Exped » Tue 03 Jan, 2023 7:38 am

Got it, sorry mis read. You mean the spring feeding Peters Creek I meant the Clear Creek one as the Clear track turns west. Nice camping there too. Think I’ll be up that way end of this week with a cooler spell. Yep, Young’s Top on my list now after your write up. Years since I was up on there.
Hiking Exped
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 03 Jan, 2023 7:48 am

NO, I mean the water source about 400 M. down the locked gate management track near KB saddle if you were to be walking towards Chester's Yard from KB saddle..
Anyway there was a spring / stream flowing on Young's Top walking track just as you climb up to 1600 M. elevation. Horses are everywhere so be sure to filter the water.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Hiking Exped » Wed 04 Jan, 2023 3:11 pm

Thanks for clarification. I think I know where you mean for that water source, but Clear Creek should be running too. I’m up there this week so will check out the area around there for some future plans.

Young’s will probably be Easter time and yep thanks always filter and treat the water.
Hiking Exped
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 05 Jan, 2023 8:22 am

A new log book has been placed inside Young's hut and some temporary snow poles on Young's spur have been installed to replace the ones that have been felled/ damaged by Feral animals. Other matters that require attention by PV staff have been raised with the Ranger in charge of the area by e mail .
They are aware of these matters now and will attempt to fix these issues if and when possible.
It always helps to notify Parks Vic. staff if you see something that needs attention while you are out bushwalking or ski touring in the area.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to VIC Trip Reports & Track Notes