Desktop version
Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Forum rules

The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Post a reply

Re: Principle Form of Navigation.

Mon 08 Feb, 2021 9:04 am

Equivocator wrote :

There seems to be a lot of judgement in this thread on people choosing to use new technology, disparaging their other skills (or lack there of) which is a bit sad to see to be honest.

In part some of our number access this forum to inform of us of just how “Hardcore” they are, CCF and the rejection of newer technologies, runners etc etc. Barbed wire undies and a badge of courage -:)

Phil

Mon 08 Feb, 2021 10:37 am

Whew...Barbed wire undies? Wow and i thought my hessian ones were bad enough.

Mon 08 Feb, 2021 10:53 am

Aardvark.

“The Brotherhood of the Hessian Undies,” careful you might start a movement so to speak :-)

Phil

Mon 08 Feb, 2021 12:09 pm

Kickinghorse wrote:
In part some of our number access this forum to inform of us of just how “Hardcore” they are, CCF and the rejection of newer technologies, runners etc etc. Barbed wire undies and a badge of courage -:)

Phil

Or maybe people are just participating in a conversation and sharing their preferences...

Mon 08 Feb, 2021 2:23 pm

[quote="wildwanderer"]

I'm not sure when you reference 'bee lines' if you're referring to my image post of a bearing line?

Easy, I wasn't

But honestly I think your disparagement of 'bee lines' is misplaced.

Equally easy. I didn't disparage bee lines/bearing lines. My post quite clearly (I thought) pointed out their drawback in certain circumstancesi

They are a tool used in a specific set of circumstances. Usually to keep heading in the right direction when walking in terrain with minimal other physical indicators/features of location.

Easy again - Yes.

There seems to a degree of interpolation evident in the conclusions some are jumping to in this thread. I don't see anything to suggest "them and us" or closed minds. It is apparent that nearly all use a combination of old and new tech in a balance that suits their individual needs. This is good.

My concern remains those who live in the screen and sacrifice awareness of where they are on the ground by doing so. This thread suggests that those who do so are few in number, here at least. This also is good.

As for barbed wire undies - I like a lateral thinker, and the obvious benefit would be that the pain (if one slept in them) would distract one from the pain of the CCF, and in my case the crippled feet from KT26s and Volleys.
BTW I readily acknowledge the benefits to some of both those types of footwear, and have tried both, with my feet being equally unimpressed by both.

Apologies for drifting off topic, but this thread is unnecessarily being made a little adversarial, and some contributors need to lighten up a little.

Mon 08 Feb, 2021 4:14 pm

As for barbed wire undies - I like a lateral thinker, and the obvious benefit would be that the pain (if one slept in them) would distract one from the pain of the CCF, and in my case the crippled feet from KT26s and Volleys.

Good thinking Stry :-) A little humour never goes astray.

Phil

Mon 08 Feb, 2021 7:22 pm

Hessian undies all the way for me'

All the metal in those barbed wire ones cause my pointer to swing erratically leaving me with an unreliable set of bearings......... :roll:

Mon 08 Feb, 2021 11:28 pm

[quote="stry"
and in my case the crippled feet from KT26s and Volleys.
BTW I readily acknowledge the benefits to some of both those types of footwear, and have tried both, with my feet being equally unimpressed by both.
[/quote]

Exactly

Tue 09 Feb, 2021 6:48 am

Curious. We love both KT-26s and Volleys. For us they work very well.
Cheers
Roger

Wed 10 Feb, 2021 1:46 pm

GPS and smartphones are great but I am astonished at the people I walk with who are navigating by phone but don't know where they are. They are essentially navigating whilst lost.

The beauty of learning how to use a large scale paper map and orientating to landmarks is the sense of spatial orientation - I am not convinced that this effect is kept if one learns purely on a phone screen. That said, I have never read research either way so could be just anecdotal.

Wed 10 Feb, 2021 2:35 pm

Do the thousands of flying aircraft use paper maps? GPS has taken over... that's life and progress.

Wed 10 Feb, 2021 2:40 pm

Mechanic-AL wrote:Hessian undies all the way for me'

All the metal in those barbed wire ones cause my pointer to swing erratically leaving me with an unreliable set of bearings......... :roll:

:lol: :lol:

Wed 10 Feb, 2021 4:04 pm

Do the thousands of flying aircraft use paper maps? GPS has taken over... that's life and progress.
Last time I looked in a cockpit, they still had paper maps. There is always the chance of failure of the GPS receiver, of the satellites, interference, or a bit of a solar flare for a short while. Belt and braces, with a backup on the braces.

Cheers
Roger

Wed 10 Feb, 2021 8:15 pm

rcaffin wrote:Last time I looked in a cockpit, they still had paper maps.

Backup maps as scans on an iPad perhaps.

Thu 11 Feb, 2021 7:12 am

Looked like large paper maps to me.
Post a reply