Do you enjoy fishing and bushwalking?

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Do you combine fishing and bushwalking?

Poll ended at Thu 04 Dec, 2008 7:25 pm

Yes - Mostly on the Central Plateau (Western Lakes)
24%
Yes - Mostly Southern Tas
No votes
Yes - Mostly W-NW Tas
6%
Yes - Mostly E-NE Tas
No votes
Yes - Other (please explain!)
29%
No - What do people see in fishing anyway?
41%

Total votes : 17

Do you enjoy fishing and bushwalking?

Postby heplittledoggie » Thu 20 Nov, 2008 7:25 pm

This is a topic that's got me interested... I've read a lot of posts from people who enjoying fishing and walking (including me) and am curious about how many forum members combine the two and where they tend to do it.

If you're keen to put your hand up I've attached a little poll to this topic with a 14 day expiry on it.

It doesn't matter if you're a day walker or go out for a week at a time. If you have to strap on a pack to get to your fishing destination (as opposed to hopping out of your car which you parked next to a lake), then you count.

Cheers,
heplittledoggie
heplittledoggie
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Do you enjoy fishing and bushwalking?

Postby Speculator » Thu 20 Nov, 2008 8:06 pm

Well....

I like fishing, and I like walking. But I don't often mix the two. My beach rod doesn't really fit in a pack either! ;)

But, although I don't have a license or any light freshwater fishing gear any more, I've been quite keen to start going a few places where there might be fish. If for no other reason than trout beats the hell out of dehydrated or freeze-dried food! ;)

Lots of characters seem to be fly fishermen though. How would I go with a light rod and some lures?

L8r.
---
Peak bagging points: 10. Peak bagging bagging points: 10000.
Speculator
Optimus Imago
Optimus Imago

Postby scockburn » Thu 20 Nov, 2008 9:16 pm

Sure do but up in Qld and Northern NSW. I go to this little place called Shelly Beach about 20 kms south of Angourie NSW and set up for a few days and chill out . It is really isolated and access is only by walk ins so there is usually no one about. Last time I was there we took light weight beach fishing gear and caught 2 large flathead just as we ran out of edible food. Unbelievable memories. Trying to convince my wife to come next time . SC
scockburn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tas-man » Fri 21 Nov, 2008 11:33 am

My first reaction was that this topic was a "pass", but although I have not done any fishing since moving to Tasmania, I did do many bushwalking trips to Frazer Island, Qld, in the 1970's with my first group of bushwalking mates. The beach fishing was so good and reliable that we would take our "coke bottle" surf fishing lines, flour, dripping, and frypan and basically fish whenever we wanted a meal! For bait we used pipies from the rocks, and would catch a half dozen bream in less than 30 minutes, and have them cleaned and on the frypan as they were caught. Summer camping on Frazer Island only required a tarp and a mosquito net set up behind the sand dunes out of the wind. Thanks heplittledoggie for prompting the memories 8)
"The world reveals itself to those who travel on foot."
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby heplittledoggie » Fri 21 Nov, 2008 7:27 pm

Speculator wrote:Lots of characters seem to be fly fishermen though. How would I go with a light rod and some lures?

You can do really well with a light rod and lures. I still take a telescopic spinning rod and small reel with me as well as the fly fishing gear. Those balmy summer days and morning/evening rises are where the fly comes into its own though, when the trout are feeding off the surface.
heplittledoggie
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby brownie » Fri 21 Nov, 2008 8:10 pm

Do enjoy fly fishing and bushwalking.The western lakes is where it is at for me
brownie
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby flyfisher » Sun 23 Nov, 2008 10:59 am

Early season I used to love fishing creeks and rivers of the midlands but drought and changing land use (to cropping instead of sheep)has put a stop on that area untill we get good long term rains.
But the western lakes are always there, and they offer varied fishing depending on weather etc.
Fly fishing is my prefered method because I like to see the fish before trying to catch it.
I just love walking and fishing in that area and 35 years of it hasn't dimmed the passion.

FF
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Postby flyfisher » Sun 23 Nov, 2008 9:27 pm

Yes - Other (please explain!) 4

C'mon you other three who picked this option, lets know what you're thinking.
Where do you like to fish and why. :) :) :) :?:

FF
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby tas-man » Sun 23 Nov, 2008 9:50 pm

flyfisher wrote:
Yes - Other (please explain!) 4

C'mon you other three who picked this option, lets know what you're thinking.
Where do you like to fish and why. :) :) :) :?:

FF

I was one of the 4 -see my post above. The idea of combining fly fishing with bushwalking sounds great, just never had the opportunity so far to get into it. Perhaps, flyfisher, you can organise a BWT strollers/fishers trip to a favourite highland lake sometime :wink:
"The world reveals itself to those who travel on foot."
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby scockburn » Sun 23 Nov, 2008 10:34 pm

I'm one of the 4 but I am North and want to be South lots more than I can be!. My contribution above .
scockburn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Mickeymoo » Mon 24 Nov, 2008 10:15 am

I do a lot of saltwater fishing, but for some reason that hasn't really transfered over to combining walking with it! I normally go freshwater fishing once or twice a year but to a lake that can driven to and set up a good camp, however last year I got a basic fly fishing set up, so maybe if I get into it a bit more and get a bit better at it :D i'll combine the two.

Michael.
Mickeymoo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby luke.870 » Mon 24 Nov, 2008 11:38 pm

I thought about combining the two, although I’ve never actually fished and don’t really know where to begin. My dad went fishing with me a few times when I was a kid, but somehow I never got into it and forgot about it. When I see people fishing and bushwalking now, I kind of get the feeling of wanting to try the combination. I might get round to it someday, but for the moment I don’t.
luke.870
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby heplittledoggie » Sat 06 Dec, 2008 3:42 pm

So. 243 topic views and 17 votes. That would be the conclusive answer to who walks and fishes then. No wonder I see very few other 'rod swingers' out in the wilds!
heplittledoggie
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Son of a Beach » Sat 06 Dec, 2008 4:02 pm

I don't fish much myself, but I sometimes walk with friends who fish. While they go out and fish, I walk further afar, and often come back to fresh trout for dinner, which sure beats the add-boiled-water tucker! :-)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby Barrabeachy » Sat 06 Dec, 2008 6:16 pm

Hi guys
I have evolved the other way in that i am an absolute fishing nut with a great appreciation for Tassies great wilderness! I have now trekked the western lakes with my flyrod,forgotten lake(st clair) with my last trip being to SE cape rivulet!I am getting the best of both worlds!

I also own a hobie yak and look to combine this tool with Lake St Clair,Gordon River etc so that i can paddle,fish,camp,walk,fish,walk,camp,paddle you catch the drift! The beauty of Tasmania is that we have so many of these options available with so little traffic!

Glad to have found this site and look forward to learning more of whats required!

Cheers Beachy
Barrabeachy
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby tasadam » Sun 07 Dec, 2008 7:42 am

I missed the poll but thought I would offer my opinions.
I enjoy bushwalking.
I enjoy fishing.
I do not combine the two. I do not freshwater fish.
I do not fish often enough to justify the cost of a freshwater fishing licence. This is the single reason I never got into freshwater fishing.
I like to fish rivers and eustaries. Haven't done it in a long time.
Surf fishing is okay too.
Tweed River was my favourite - caught a 14 inch bream and a 16 inch flathead once.
Haven't seriously fished in Tassie for years. Last time I went fishing was out of my kayak - I had strapped a bucket to the front of where I sit and took a hand line. Caught some stripey looking rainbow coloured perchy looking thing, not very big, let it go.
I think I know where my rod is.
Would like to get into it again.
I like to eat fish.
I think that sums it up for me.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby rabbit » Sun 07 Dec, 2008 2:29 pm

Hi,
I love fishing and I love bushwalking too. Most of my bushwalking involves fishing. Sometimes it's annoying having a rod strapped to your pack, but more often than not when you don't have your rod there is a nice trout-filled stream along the track somewhere.

Ryan
rabbit
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Andrew » Thu 11 Dec, 2008 11:54 am

Yes love combining fly-fishing and bushwalking. Mostly been into Lake Meston hut and Lake Nameless hut then day-walked from there but planning some more adventurous trips inthe next few years.

Start at Lake Ada and finish at Lake Ball (Walls) so need to organize a lift or take 2 cars. Fishing Lakes Naomi, Denton, Routuli, Galaxias, Antimony, Silver, Sally, Ah Chees, Sonja, Solveig & finishing at Ball and walking out Walls track. Could also go south to Three Arms Lake, Lake Malbena (hut in middle on island - swim) and finish at Lake Meston and walk ot past Lake Myrtle and Bill.

Another trip - Walk 1/2 way down Meander Falls track and then up over the top at Dixons Creek Spur to fish Lakes Franks, Furmage, Second Bar and Ila. Maybe keep going and fish Julians and Pillians and come out at Ada.

Have been many times to the Chudleigh Lakes walking from Lake MacKenzie. Even caught fish on the way in in the river at the crossing and cooked on the spot for lunch. There are fish in Nameless, Explorer, Ironstone, Lucy Long, Westons, Halkyard, Evans, Fox plus can also walk to Forty Peaks Lakes with Middle Lake the best there.

(November) December to mid March (April) best times with Feburary the best. Red Tag, Black Spinners, Dun, Beetle.

Need polaroids, 9ft leader, floating line, waders handy (I have a extra light pair I bought in the US) but many lakes have deep channels around banks.

As always these area can become very rough very quickly so a 4 season tent and good gear is critical. I mostly catch and release but don't forget a pan to cook the fish in and a drip of oil/butter to get it started.

If you want specific info re: individual lakes I can probably advise with average size fish, hatches etc. from some books I have.

Cheers,

Andrew
Andrew
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby flyfisher » Thu 11 Dec, 2008 6:29 pm

Hi Andrew , whats the stream fishing like in the Karoola area.Can't say I've fished in that area much.

Cheers FF
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby MrCAMEL » Thu 11 Dec, 2008 8:38 pm

My story is that I do not often eat fish,
I d媨o not at all like the aroma, yet the texture is always so beautiful and delicate.
I do not know how to cook a fish from raw.
I hate the bones.
I do not like touching live fish.
I do not 'go' fishing.
No point killing something you cannot enjoy preparing for consumption 8)
Vrilen Snyson Racing: Finding us all a Vrilen
Asparagus: Experience the versatility
MrCAMEL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby flyfisher » Thu 11 Dec, 2008 8:56 pm

I think in my case the fishing came before walking trips and led to a lot of beautiful streams and lakes.ThenI discovered the western lakes and exploring that area has been fascinating. :D I had a shack at Great Lake untill about 5 years ago and used to go all directions from there.So thats why I like combining the two, and polaroiding trout and catching them on a fly is something I still enjoy. Most trout I catch are returned unharmed but odd ones end up an a plate. :D

FF
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby geoskid » Thu 11 Dec, 2008 9:30 pm

G'day all, Especially Flyfisher, :wink:
I have a Fly rod and even did an intro flytying night or two with the D'Port club, Mr Best.. very nice man. I like the idea of combining bushwalking and flyfishing and it is something I am working towards, and between the two a lifetime of adventures I'm sure!
Regards
Geoskid
Critical Thinking.. the awakening of the intellect to the study of itself.
http://www.criticalthinking.org/
geoskid
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby flyfisher » Fri 12 Dec, 2008 5:10 am

Good on ya Geoskid.It's fun ,enjoy it. :D

FF
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Andrew » Fri 12 Dec, 2008 8:36 am

Hi Flyfisher,

The NE TAS used to be better fishing when I was a kid. The Great Forester, The Brid, Little Forester, The George Rivers all fantastic. Not as good anymore with such intensive agriculture and cormorants.

Blackmans Lagoon and the Waterhouse Lakes still OK at times. My favorite is the St Patricks around Nunamara area. The Pipers River runs through our farm so dabble there a bit but only small fish.

Cheers,

Andrew
Last edited by Andrew on Mon 15 Dec, 2008 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby sirius Tas » Sat 13 Dec, 2008 6:53 am

Hi All,
Yep...definitely love fishing but haven't combined the two just yet(technically speaking)...but have earmarked a trip or two into the Western Lakes soon...especially now my furry buddy on the right has a permit for the area. A feed or two or three of fresh fish certainly beats the heck out of any thing else you may care to name.
When I say technically speaking.....we used to walk our gear for around 1km into the Arthur River...get out the inflatable...and actually paddle upstream for a shortish distance to a major river junction...then up that river for a short distance to one of the most magical camp sites imaginable. Blackfish were normally the go...abundant supply with the odd small trout thrown in. Of course Lobster(not the Giant Freshwater) was also available but sadly closed for all types....even though the Arthur only has the more abundant smaller version which isn't in any way threatened. Fantastic memories...I must get back there.
Cheers..sirius
After a day's walk everything has twice its usual value.
sirius Tas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby craigw » Mon 15 Dec, 2008 1:29 pm

i bumped into a few guys carrying fishing gear on the overland track a few years back and have wanted to do the same ever since. Well I saw some photos of trout caught at Lake Curly, so thats where i'm heading soon. Unfortunately, i havn't got the experience, equipment or patience to fly fish, and weight is always a consideration of course. So how much does a collapsible rod and reel set weigh anyhow? What are the alternatives, e.g. a hand line, hooks and shrimp as bait? I would gladly put a packet of instant pasta on a hook if i knew i was going to eating fresh trout.

C
craigw
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Andrew » Mon 15 Dec, 2008 5:18 pm

Hi CraigW,

Sage 4 piece fly rod 4 weight with 6 weight line in material packet is 167g
Sage Reel/Line/Leader in foam packet 204g
Flies in box 112g
Spare leaders/grease etc. 25g

So total weight is 508g which isn't much if you plan to catch fish and save on food.

Sometimes I carry waders and that is where things can get heavier.
Goretex chest waders 1076g
Light bushwalking chest waders 467g (can get cold)
Wading boots 1573g

Can take old gym shoes and be more careful so minimum is a bit less than a kilo which I do if I am walking a long way. Mostly can get by but it is nice to have options.

Also I take a heaver pot with a frypan lid to cook the fish but may get away with foil.

I also have a metal container forthe fly rod which weighs 374g which I sometimes take if feeling fit to be sure I don't bust it.

Cheers,

Andrew
Last edited by Andrew on Wed 14 Jan, 2009 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby heplittledoggie » Mon 15 Dec, 2008 10:33 pm

craigw wrote:Unfortunately, i haven't got the experience, equipment or patience to fly fish, and weight is always a consideration of course. So how much does a collapsible rod and reel set weigh anyhow? What are the alternatives, e.g. a hand line, hooks and shrimp as bait? I would gladly put a packet of instant pasta on a hook if i knew i was going to eating fresh trout.

Don't know about instant pasta. March Flies work though (and you can get your own back on them!)

Trying to fly fish without putting in the practice off the water is an exercise in frustration. If you haven't got the time/inclination to fly fish I'd go for the telescopic spinning rod. 7 feet long is good for shore based casting. Add a small spinning reel and light line and it shouldn't set you back more than a hundred bucks (tackle shops or large department stores). Great for sea fishing off jetties too, and even the beach in the right spot.

Check the booklet you get with your fishing licence for bait rules for your particular water (or see http://www.ifs.tas.gov.au. Most of the remote spots are artificial-only, which means lures and flies. I've been using the occasional "soft plastic" as well. Don't be afraid of your local tackle shop bloke - its in their interest to give you good advice to keep you going back.
heplittledoggie
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby craigw » Tue 16 Dec, 2008 7:41 am

Cheers guys for the advice. Hope to post some fish photos and recipes on my return. Though a fishin trip in the wild high country sounds awfully like Deliverance, and we all know how that ended - i'll be keeping an ear out for the banjos.

Tight lines
Craig
craigw
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Robbo » Mon 22 Dec, 2008 9:49 pm

I have copied this across from 'equipment', thanks Andrew, and would interested in some feedback.

I know this is a bushwalking forum, but I know many of those who contribute also have a love of fishing. With this in mind I am wondering how many of you carry some fishing gear with while walking, and if so, what do you take with you that is light and easily fitted into your pack?

I have decided I will try a bit of fishing when I get to do a few days walking through the Central Plateau, and further south, in the first couple of weeks of January - I just today purchased a two week license.

Thanks

Tony Robinson
"The place between your comfort zone and your dream is where your life takes place." Nick Vujicic.
Robbo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Gilson College
Region: Victoria

Next

Return to Bushwalking Discussion