Why doesn't one activity make you fit for another?

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Re: Why doesn't one activity make you fit for another?

Postby CasualNerd » Fri 29 Apr, 2022 9:33 pm

sandym wrote:"it's worth testing as you go to check you are indeed fat adapted so you're getting the benefits"
How do you suggest he tests? Crossover test? dipstick ketones, ketone breath meter?

I've only ever used the pee sticks, but you wouldn't be carrying them bushwalking. I think it's best to trial diet at home, once you test a few times you start to get a good feel for where you're at without testing.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby ribuck » Fri 29 Apr, 2022 10:30 pm

Moondog55 wrote:I do know that when I fast and losing belly fat I pee more often and more copiously but don't drink any more water than my normal 3 litres or so

For sure! I once fasted during a bushwalk, which worked out fine except that I had to pee every hour day and night.

From Wikipedia:
"Metabolic water refers to water created inside a living organism through their metabolism, by oxidizing energy-containing substances in their food. Animal metabolism produces about 107-110 grams of water per 100 grams of fat, 41-42 grams of water per 100 g of protein and 60 grams of water per 100 g of carbohydrate."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metabolic_water

Fun fact, somewhat related: when you lose weight, where does that weight go? Do you excrete it? Mostly, no. You lose weight by attaching carbon atoms to the oxygen that you are breathing in, and exhaling it as carbon dioxide.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby ribuck » Fri 29 Apr, 2022 10:34 pm

On the original topic: the best way to get fit for bushwalking is to bushwalk. In general, the best way to get fit for any activity is to do that activity. Other exercises may help, but not as much, and exercises are often not much fun.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby crollsurf » Sat 30 Apr, 2022 8:17 am

+1 to try magnesium tabs re cramps.

I'm not a breakfast person either. What I find works for me is to pull camp and have breakfast about an hour into the walk.

Also on diet, eat trail mix or protein bars to keep up your energy levels.

Sounds like you got hit by muscle fatigue and bonked at the same time

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby EGM » Sat 30 Apr, 2022 7:11 pm

ribuck wrote:On the original topic: the best way to get fit for bushwalking is to bushwalk. In general, the best way to get fit for any activity is to do that activity. Other exercises may help, but not as much, and exercises are often not much fun.

While bushwalking will improve fitness for bushwalking I wouldn't say it's the best way to do it. for most people the best way is to follow a training plan with lots of low to moderate intensity steady state cardio such as running, hilly walking or any exercise.
Some high intensity stuff like faster or hilly running or spin bike.
Strength training in the gym with weights if possible.
And some accessory work, prehab type stuff to improve balance and stability.

A training program such as that will be more efficient to make improvements and have a higher ceiling.

Remember, footy players aren't playing footy everyday in pre season to get fit, they're running and in the gym.

But you're right that bush walking as much as possible I'd great and it's the only way to get the other skills like foot placement and route choice.

Although I'm sure most people on here will agree your way is more fun ahaha.
EGM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby puredingo » Fri 27 May, 2022 2:26 pm

Because it doesn't and it sucks that it's like that.

I just did a month+ surfing all around Indonesia, got back here, got covid on the plane! so another two weeks down, finally got better and did a day walk yesterday and almost went into cardiac arrest. Which is annoying because I had a BIG walking autumn/ winter/spring, got out most weekends for multi's so I was pretty walk fit plus toughened feet and all the other stuff that goes with being out there a lot. Its a shame you can't preserve it...move it or lose it I guess?
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Tortoise » Fri 27 May, 2022 6:43 pm

Next time I see my GP (who is into sports medicine), I need to pick his brain again and write down what he says. He explained what I've long thought, that bushwalking is the best training for bushwalking. It has something to do with physiological changes (or was it biochemical) that happen in the periphery (just muscles? or maybe something else as well?), that only happen with prolonged exercise. Not what you can get in an hour or two of training, however helpful that may be.

Back when I was in my physical prime, I trained for about 6 months before trekking in Nepal. Plenty of cardio, carrying a 20 kg pack up hills, cycling, swimming, etc. Maybe 12 hours a week, spread out. It never made any apparent difference. On the other hand, in my more senior years, I've found that a couple of 5 - 7 day walks definitely makes the next one easier. Anecdotal, I know, but I'm interested that they've found a reason why it could be real.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby ChrisJHC » Sat 28 May, 2022 8:44 am

A few years back, an army unit was training for a long-distance march.

One group trained by marching smaller distances and then building up gradually as they neared the event.

The other trained by doing some marching, but also going to the gym, cross training, etc.

On the day, the first group (marching only) was significantly better than the second.
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby sandym » Sat 28 May, 2022 4:55 pm

Most of this stuff has been pretty well worked out over the years. Bushwalking isn't really a highly skill specific sport - unlike say, rock climbing - mostly it is just walking with a pack over uneven ground, so some GPP (general physical preparedness) via a basic strength program (push, pull, hinge, squat, loaded carry) and aerobic conditioning will suffice for most. Endurance is a metabolic capacity and is trained as such, but this does not seem well understood. Probably the biggest bang for your buck training, provided you have sufficient aerobic base, is power endurance training, but PE training is quite intense and requires extra recovery for most. If aerobic capacity is low, introducing PE too early won't help.

If anyone is interested in some fantastic training books, Training For The New Alpinism or Training For The Uphill Athlete are excellent books. Bushwalking is basically alpinism without the climbing component so while the title may make the books seem irrelevant they are both actually brilliant for those that are interested in improving performance.

The website for the two books has a lot of great information as well. https://uphillathlete.com/
sandym

Previous

Return to Bushwalking Discussion