Overnight walk Nowra region, 10YO first walk

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Overnight walk Nowra region, 10YO first walk

Postby Jennifurry » Sat 04 Mar, 2023 3:16 pm

Hi folks,
I'm from tas, I work with kids in the bush.
I'm planning to take my niece on her first overnight walk in the easter holidays,she lives in the Nowra region.
Would anyone be prepared to give me some key words to search in this forum so I can look up options in Nowra area?
Coastal or bush, no need for toilets, I'm happy to carry water if necessary.
Topo titles for the Nowra region would be fab for my Avenza searches, and for ordering some paper ones. Or directions to online map key for nsw.
Thank you!!
Jen
(apologies, I posted the same post in the nsw section, which is against the rules. I suppose a moderator will intercept it).
Jennifurry
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Overnight walk Nowra region, 10YO first walk

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Sat 04 Mar, 2023 5:46 pm

Griffims farm? Or a camp on the Shoalhaven via Long Point? RNP isn't far away either so maybe some/all of the coast track? A but rougher (and possibly affected by regrowth) but Folly Point return from Sassafras might be OK for a 10 yo?

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby crollsurf » Sat 04 Mar, 2023 8:04 pm

https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/things-to-do/experiences/murramarang-south-coast-walk
It says booking open in April but the tracks are already there, so you should be able to make your own adventure and walk the sections you think will work best. NB you will still need to book your camp sites e.g. https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/camping-and-accommodation/campgrounds/depot-beach-campground?dateFrom=23%20Mar%202023&dateTo=24%20Mar%202023&adults=1&children=1&infants=0
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby sandym » Sun 05 Mar, 2023 5:31 am

The Murramarang is a great walk. But, the campsites are not "wilderness". The walk has been designed so walkers either camp at car campsites or pre-existing caravan parks. Perhaps a walk along the plateau from the Mount Bushwalker car park and camp along the plateau. Or down near Canowie Brook in the Budawangs.
sandym
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Jennifurry » Sun 05 Mar, 2023 7:25 am

Walk_fat boy_walk wrote:Griffims farm? Or a camp on the Shoalhaven via Long Point? RNP isn't far away either so maybe some/all of the coast track? A but rougher (and possibly affected by regrowth) but Folly Point return from Sassafras might be OK for a 10 yo?

Thank you! I'll look these up. Grateful for the tips. Is the RNP the coastal walk referred to by the other posters, with established campsite and booking and so on?

I was wondering about the impact of fire on walking in the region. Budawangs were burnt quite extensively weren't they?
Jennifurry
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Jennifurry » Sun 05 Mar, 2023 7:30 am

crollsurf wrote:https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/things-to-do/experiences/murramarang-south-coast-walk
It says booking open in April but the tracks are already there, so you should be able to make your own adventure and walk the sections you think will work best. NB you will still need to book your camp sites e.g. https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/camping-and-accommodation/campgrounds/depot-beach-campground?dateFrom=23%20Mar%202023&dateTo=24%20Mar%202023&adults=1&children=1&infants=0

Thank you, good to know about this one. Does seem lovely!! Maybe ideal now to duck in before it becomes the South Coast Overland track, or Three capes, he he.
Jennifurry
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Jennifurry » Sun 05 Mar, 2023 7:34 am

sandym wrote:The Murramarang is a great walk. But, the campsites are not "wilderness". The walk has been designed so walkers either camp at car campsites or pre-existing caravan parks. Perhaps a walk along the plateau from the Mount Bushwalker car park and camp along the plateau. Or down near Canowie Brook in the Budawangs.

Thank you for these extra suggestions!! A feeling of getting away from it all is a big part of what I'd like to show my neice. So the inland suggestions you made might be the best fit. I'll look into those.
Of of the fella at the outdoor store in Nowra once suggested a plateau walk to us, he felt it was good for kids, not too steep. Maybe it was the area you suggested.
Jennifurry
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Sun 05 Mar, 2023 1:30 pm

Jennifurry wrote:. Is the RNP the coastal walk referred to by the other posters, with established campsite and booking and so on?

Yep that's the one. Start and end can be linked with public transport.

Budawangs were fire-affected but are recovering.... the passability of some tracks have been impacted by regrowth (the canowie brook ex- wog wog suggestion is clear, not sure about folly point though as I was last there maybe 6 months after the fires before regrowth was an issue).

The little forest plateau suggestion (ex-mt bushwalker) is also a good one but bear in mind there is no "official" campsite, just a matter of finding somewhere suitable.

Another option is starlight's track to Emmett flat in the Nattai? Nice and easy on established track, camp by the river, not too far from Nowra?

Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Huntsman247 » Sun 05 Mar, 2023 3:33 pm

Wog wog to the camp caves after the arch and swamp would probably be the best bet. Or an ettrema tops walk. It's still pretty open on the tops there. But no tracks.
Huntsman247

Postby Jennifurry » Sun 05 Mar, 2023 6:08 pm

Thanks WalkFBW and Huntsman!!
Jennifurry
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Bushwalking Discussion