Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.
Post a reply

Kam snaps

Thu 27 Feb, 2020 6:08 pm

Hi all.

Does anyone have any experience using Kam snaps?

Are hand pliers a bit crappy as opposed to a table press type?

Seems like size 20 is the most common size in Kam snaps but wondering is size 16 does the job?

Cheers,

Pete

Re: Kam snaps

Thu 27 Feb, 2020 7:48 pm

Cecile uses them, advises that the hand held become tiring to use. PM for purchase advice

Fri 28 Feb, 2020 9:30 am

I have found the pliers work quite well. I expect the table press would be better if setting lots of snaps. I also purchased both the size 16 and 20 snaps. Both work, the size 20s are better for areas where there may be greater force on the snap, really a subjective matter that needs a bit of experimentation to determine the right size for the job.

Fri 28 Feb, 2020 3:10 pm

Thanks MarkF.

I think I'll start off straight up with the table press and size 20. Do the size 16 have a lot less holding strength?

Cheers,

Pete

Fri 28 Feb, 2020 4:58 pm

When I bought mine in 2011 I wrestled with the same issue of which size and so bought both the 16 and 20. If you are putting the snaps into thin webbing or cloths over 2oz/sq yd the no 20's are fine. If you are putting them into very fine cloths used for things like quilts then the 16s are the go. When putting them into light cloth I have found it worthwhile to make sure the cloth is at least doubled.

Fri 28 Feb, 2020 5:09 pm

Iv'e got a bench SNAP press. Totally overkill, it would be as quick with the hand tool and not much harder (to just squash that plastic spike). (I regret having that 10kg of pig iron shipped).

Tue 03 Mar, 2020 7:35 am

I'll chime in here too. I don't like the pliers because I have MS and the strength and coordination in my hands varies. You also have to hold them in one hand while you place the snaps in the head and since I don't have three hands the parts of the snap often move. The table press leaves both hands free while you set the snaps into the tool.

If you're using very fine fabric you MUST reinforce it, otherwise it will eventually rip.

Tue 03 Mar, 2020 9:27 am

I ended up ordering the bench version and 600 size 20 snaps. Definitely will reinforce on thin fabric as it's only a tiny spike that anchors them.

Thu 05 Mar, 2020 8:13 pm

I made up my own tooling and use my mill-drill as the press. Top and bottom parts have to be aligned very carefully. To my mind, having a rigid system as well is crucial.
The snaps work fine when done correctly. Some practice runs are advised.

Cheers

Thu 05 Mar, 2020 9:47 pm

Got the press today and stuck a couple of snaps on some fabric scraps. I am impressed with their holding strength, particularly in sheer. Quite impressive.

Sun 26 Apr, 2020 5:12 pm

Pete
Where did you buy the press and the Kam Snaps?
WT

Sun 26 Apr, 2020 5:47 pm

I purchased mine from https://kamsnaps.com/ several years ago.

Sun 26 Apr, 2020 10:20 pm

Hi Watertank,

From here:

https://www.snapsaustralia.com.au/

Tue 28 Apr, 2020 9:58 pm

Thanks Mark and Pete
WT
Post a reply